What did you do today to prep? - Page 3
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't know if others would consider this prepping, but I do.

I am making yeast rolls and beans soup from dried ingredients. I've made yeast bread products three times this weekend. This time it was so easy I hardly paid attention to what I was doing - same with the dried beans. A month ago I had never done either of these things.

I think an important part of prepping is being able to easily use your preps. It's all well and good to have these goods I've been buying but I need to be comfortable using them.

Home sweet home is as unpacked as it's going to get for this week. It feels nice to be able to walk through every room in the apartment without having to turn sideways at any point!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today, I placed two vegetable seed orders online. I have two more to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't forget to stockpile water unless you have a way to get and purify it. Regardless of what it says on the bottles of water, they are good almost indefinitely.

I vacuum sealed some pasta and filled water jugs. I'm also making some banana bread.

I too agree that you should be able to use the stuff you are stockpiling. Store what you eat and eat what you store.

Suzanne

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I've accomplished far more then I anticipated then when I began. I'm working with a small budget so I was really just trying to do as much as I can with what I have.

Over the weekend I sterilized the two 5 gallon food buckets and a cat litter pail. Last night I filled one of those buckets with 31 pounds of Great Northern beans.

I'm still trying to find a place for my stockpile, but I'm thinking that it might work to pull the butlers pantry shelves forward and store my stockpile behind those shelves. I thought that I just might even put a set of shelves behind the butlers pantry shelves so they are double deep. I'd just store the the stockpile on the shelf behind my housewares shelves. The shelves are just utility shelves, nothing fancy. It would still leave me easy access to the stockpile, but be sort of hidden from view.

I created a stockpiles need list and inventory sheet which I keep on my desktop. Each week I add or subtract as needed.

So far I've stocked

-20 jars of organic pasta sauce
    -31 pounds of great northern beans
    -80 pounds of white rice
    -about a pound and a half of cocoa powder
    -3 pairs of tweezers
    -6 bottles of medicated shampoo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got 2 big truck loads of logs this month. Not counting this winter, what we just got, should be enough to do 2 more winters. Wood is our only source of heat. It was our tax refund money. Money in bank is a nice idea, but a wood stockpile for us, is a BETTER idea Prices continuing to go up on everything, makes me want to prep all the faster. Just the diseal fuel, to move ONE load of logs, cost the truck driver/owner $ 110 .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Holy Toledo villagers! I'm working on my stockpile needs list and calculated just what I need to stock to make 1 pot of cabbage ball/stuffed cabbage soup a week, and I need to dehydrate 224 pounds of cabbage!!!! LOL! Good Grief! We don't grow cabbage, I'm wondering if I can find a farmer who will give me a deal this Summer. Holy Schmoly!

I also added to my inventory list

-9 canisters of corn flake crumbs
    -21 lip balms
    -4 mini hand creams
    -1- 8 pound jar of Guldens mustard
    -1 gallon salsa

I've got chubs of ground chicken and turkey in the freezer. I didn't keep count. I need to get out to the freezer to count them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Holy Toledo villagers! I'm working on my stockpile needs list and calculated just what I need to stock to make 1 pot of cabbage ball/stuffed cabbage soup a week, and I need to dehydrate 224 pounds of cabbage!!!! LOL! Good Grief! We don't grow cabbage, I'm wondering if I can find a farmer who will give me a deal this Summer. Holy Schmoly!

I also added to my inventory list

-9 canisters of corn flake crumbs
    -21 lip balms
    -4 mini hand creams
    -1- 8 pound jar of Guldens mustard
    -1 gallon salsa

I've got chubs of ground chicken and turkey in the freezer. I didn't keep count. I need to get out to the freezer to count them.
    You are doing a fantastic job Polly! Isn't it wonderful doing your budget, and pantry this way?

I love it, saves me time, money .Seriously try to get a deal for the cabbage this summer, at my produce escapades I got a 40 pound at the end of summer for 6.00. The only problem had so much other produce to take care of at the time ended up giving some away and composting some.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

40 pounds for $6!!!! Wow! I'm going to start asking around, doing a web search, etc. Right now cabbage is on sale, I was able to get a head for around $4. If I can get a deal with a farmer I'm sure I'll save money.

It really does make a big difference doing it the way you suggested. Now I can't get really big quantities, but I'm able to get enough to make a real difference. Amazing how I'm spending the same amount but getting so much further ahead using your system. Thanks for sharing HappyMama!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ordered coupons for pasta and pet food. It will be nice not having to worry about buying pet food for the critters for at least a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ha! I was just talking about this with DS1. There's a sale at CVS for friskies canned cat food. 10 cans /$4, I'm searching for coupons now. We'd like to get 80+ cans if we can. Also thinking cat litter and high grade dry food (that's all she eats, I won't buy her anything but the highest grade dry). She eats pro plan canned, but throwing in 1-2 cans of regular cat food a week certainly won't kill her. We all have to cut back a bit on our budget, even the cat. We just won't go more then two cans of regular cat food a week though, keeping her healthy is important. Thought we'd get her some vitamins too, and stock some pet medicines and flea treatments also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been working at this for a long time. Seems like you never have enough. I know I posted in another thread about getting 28 gallons of whole milk for my little one on sale. My two 12 ounce containers of nido powdered whole milk came in the mail. I would love to see some 5 dollar off coupons in the paper for stage 2 formula for my son and then I can stockpile a few cans of those as well.

I also hit the jackpot with butter (1.98) this last month. I bought close to 40 lbs and put them in the freezer. I need to look at buying a case of dehydrated fruits and veggies for long term storage. I have the regular canned stuff, but would like to have something more long term.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's amazing how the intensity of our stockpiling has increased lately, isn't it? I feel a very strong sense of urgency at this time to do all I can.

Tonight I am going to attempt to dry bananas in the dehydrator.

I've made myself a list of things I will constantly need or need just one of and can thus be on the lookout for at yard and thrift sales. They include:

~ Any type of glass jar with an airtight lid
    ~ Canning supplies
    ~ a washboard
    ~ metal cheese graters
    ~ non-electric can-openers
    ~ Camping supplies like stoves, heaters, etc
    ~ Big sturdy backpacks
    ~ tools
    ~ fireplace toasters and pop-corn poppers
    ~ Appliances that are now electric but used to be manual (irons, whisks, slicers, grinders, etc.)
    ~ A list of books with specialized knowledge: first aid, gardening, preserving, etc.

I keep the list in my wallet to refer to whenever I happen to stumble on a cool yard sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you are a member at sams or costco, type in emergency in the search box and it will come up with a lot of dehydrated/freeze dried products, plus, they will ship it to you.

Suzanne

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A couple things I haven't seen mentioned are matches, lighters, butane etc
    Also extra blankets. Got caught last winter and didn't have any cause here in Central Florida it was only cold a couple weeks. Had a few throws but no extra blankets. Comforters would be even better
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes Niko, Blankets! We've had our electric go out and I found myself wishing I had more of them.

DaisyGirl, I honestly don't know why I feel such an urgency to be prepared, but it's been nagging at me for over a year now. Funny thing is, I talked with my Sister and she said the same thing. And one of my friends never said anything till now, but she's been preparing for quite sometime herself. All three of feel like we are being lead to prepare. And all three of us are feeling a sense of urgency.

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast