Frugal Village Forums banner

What did you do today to prep?

Tags
prep today
60K views 808 replies 85 participants last post by  scooby8themall 
#1 ·
Ok I am turtle-liing along trying to prepare for some of the many things that we have all been hearing in the news. (job loss, hyper-inflation,Depression,dollar collapse,food shortage etc) No I am not a doomsday person I am a very happy and blessed person. I believe that it is my job to make sure my family is fed and taken care of no matter what the situation is. So I thought I would start us a thread to help us in our prepping that we could post what we did that day to prepare.

So today I used the 4 frosting buckets with lids that I got from the bakery yesterday.
I had bought brown and powdered sugar at Walgreens last weekend for 24 cents a pound (it was 75% off). I packed 25-1 lb bags in each bucket. I have trouble with ants and that way they can not get to my sugar.
The lids have a rubber seal and of course they are food safe. My bakery charges $1.50 for each bucket and I buy 4 a week.
I packed regular sugar in these bucket for the last couple of years and my sugar stay fresh and hasn't turned into a rock yet.

So what have you done today to prepare?

#2 ·
Also today I cleaned up the garden plot and burned debris to get the garden ready.
I went ahead and bought some gas (15 gallons) for the mower and tiller put some stabil in it so I could store it.

#3 ·
Good idea for a thread. I haven't done much unless you can count me sitting here thinking about getting off my duff and making chili of which I would put a couple bags in freezer. Actually working on a list of stuff to add to and/or replace in stockpile. Have coupons sitting here to cut out. Not exactly gardening and such but it's my plan for now. I work better with lists. I'm gearing back up for at least 6 months worth or more and need to know what i'm looking for. I wanted a garden but here in Florida it would be a late start and we haven't moved yet so...don't know about that...think about it but would be hard

#4 ·
I have some red and yellow peppers in the dehydrator and some tomato slices too. They were on sale at Aldi two colored peppers for .99 that is a good deal here. At my other store they are 2.49 a lb right now. I bought about 7.00 worth.

Dh is in the process of making me a clothes line. I started some seeds today. This is going to be our first attempt at a few things. Thats it for today.

#5 ·
Been thinking alot about all the tougher times ahead. Right now we are debt free other then our basic bills. Was asking hubby about the garden this year. We never had one but since we have a privacy fence up we can now. So many mean kids that like to damage peoples gardens around here..Gas prices are the killer for us, since hubby does house calls we have to make sure he can do lots of house calls in 1 day. We live 45 minutes to the main city where most of the house calls are at. So he will have to be home more.Going to be selling crafts ect online to help cushion the Emergency fund. Plus gives me extra money to stockpile and build up the non food items.

#6 ·
I have canned 11 jars of strawberry jam, have apples in the dehydrator, got my dwarf fruit trees delivered today.

I do have a tomato plant in a container that is doing great, some peas planted and some strawberries in a container. After Easter, I will plant some onions and potatoes. I may even go back and get some more tomato plants.

I'ts also time to go and feed my hens and gather eggs and I hope to get to work on quilting this evening.

Suzanne

#7 ·
Today I am consolidating all my pantry excess onto a five shelf shelving unit in the basement. From this, I'll then create an inventory sheet of what I have. Then I will figure out what items I want to maintain excess of with a list created of my order of stocking up (which will be fluid depending on what is on sale as well). My goal is ultimately to have a one year supply of food and healthy/beauty items. Right now, I think I am about 2-3 months.

Tomorrow I am attending a class on backyard chickens. Just gathering knowledge in case I ever decided to go that route.

Last month I attended a fascinating program on aquaponics. Hubby and I are strongly considering trying that out in the future.

Next week I will be starting garden seeds. :)

#8 ·
My big project for today was to put together a simple shelter-in-place kit. I was thinking about creating one, and meant to take care of it yesterday, as we live in an area known as the Chemical Valley. I woke up this morning and read the news that one of the plants had a "small" ammonia leak today. That shook me up enough to get started, lol.

In a large Rubbermaid Bin:
1. Plastic sheeting pre-cut and labeled to fit over major openings
2. Extra plastic sheeting
3. Scissors
4. Box Cutter
5. 5 rolls Duct Tape
6. Small tool kit
7. Small first aid kit
8. Trigger Flashlight
9. Latex Gloves
10. Trash bags
11. Filter Masks...a couple of different types
12. Two small fleece blankets

I've got other "emergency" supplies, but I think this is all I'm going to specifically keep in this container. It'll be labeled, and stored in the hall closet

#9 ·
Didn't do much today, just the basic chores around the house.

Tomorrow I'm shopping the sale ads and will be picking up more strawberries and jars, blanching and dicing carrots for the dehydrator.

I have a solar oven in transit, I'm going to buy an oven that fits over a coleman camp stove and I'm expecting some more long term food supplies coming in. I really excited that my preps are coming along nicely. I love not having to go to the grocery store to pick up odds and ends. If we don't have it, it waits until the next shopping day. With gas what it is, every drop has to count.

Suzanne

#10 ·
I haven't done anything today to prepare. I do need to get the pantry reorganized and take inventory of what we have and what we need. We also have all of the seed starter stuff on the kitchen counter.

#15 ·
Today I went to the store and did some shopping for basics that I had let go when I was getting ready to move. I bought:

16 cans of veggies
5 pounds of flour
2 jars of coffee
2 bags of oats
1 can of cocoa powder
1 bag of sugar
2 bags of apples
1 bag of onions
1 bag of potatoes

and finally...

a dehydrator!!!

I'd hardly say I am prepared for a dire emergency but I have about 4-6 weeks worth of food now. Although the idea of being a year ahead is wonderful, it just isn't feasible financially. I'm going to do what I can when I can and preserve as many last day of sale items as possible.

#16 ·
Since last post...not much except add a few things to stockpile. Very few. I want a minimum of 6 months and prefer a year. ( who dosen't ) I

figure if by some chance we DO lose the business we will have at least 6 months of unemployment on his part. Even tho we own the business and are self employed we put him on payroll with a payroll company with unemployment taken out. If we lose it at that point he could sign up for Social Security which would take 6 months and start at the time unemployment could possibly run out.

I'm back to work at the business this time ( YAY!!! ) and on payroll ( bigger YAY!!! ) but not long enough to do unemployment yet.

So seriously praying for the best and preparing for the worst. 6 months is a have to....a year is a want. First things first. List is still being made as necessary things are on top priority and others only if REALLY reasonable. I even have a list of things to start envelopes for. I need a list of the lists to make/made!

#17 ·
I love this thread! Yesterday at the store I bought tons of sale "about to perish" perishibles, and today I will be processing them for the dehydrator. I have a 4 tray unit, so it might take a bit to get it all dehydrated, but well worth it in my opinion!

#18 ·
Well today "Big Lot" is having a friends and family sale. So I went to town to take advantage of it. I got gloves (jersey, railroad,gardening,work gloves). I got garden tools and garden hose. I also bought some groceries while they were 20% off I wish I could have bought a whole lot more but just do not have the funds for it. As it was I spent $85 which is a lot for me to let go of at one time. LOL
Yesterday I went to Dollar General and they had some Hefty trash bags marked down and I had some coupons so I bought all they had which was 12 boxes of 33 large black drawstring trash bags. I spent $24 on trash bags but I won't have to buy trash bags again for quite a while and it would have normally cost me $72 for that many trash bags.
I also made a trip to the Amish store and bought some bulk foods.
I am spending so much right now but I am feeling like with all the inflation talk that I am saving overall. I am still paying down the debt while prepping and only buying items with cash.
Now I am going to go in and start to rearrange my pantry and take inventory.

Reactions: NikoSan999
#20 ·
Absolutely! They are now saying it puts you in a better mood/frame of mind...and heaven knows, we all need to be in a better frame of mind!
Darker the chocolate ( my personal fave ) the better. I love the Bakers Chocolate baking bars...used to keep a small stash hidden. Break off a square at a time and go hide...ah, those were the days.

#23 ·
Put together a disaster supplies spreadsheet detailing what is needed and what quantities. I will be continuing to fine tune this and then working to build up a better supply. Currently I would say we have about 2 months food supply (although granted towards the end we might be getting some pretty funky meals LOL). I want to get it up to 6-12 months supply, but of course with hubby being out of work that is a challenge.

I will be starting seeds this week. I am going to be more focused with preserving my harvest this year. Every year I have been getting better at it. :) I also have the option to get a 20 x 40' plot (with water piped to the plots, a tiller available for rental for $7 an hour and free compost!) for $5 for the season at work. I might just take them up on that this year. Previously I have wanted to focus on growing the food in my own yard, but that would allow me to grow much more this year.

This weekend I canned a dozen jars each of Lemon Prune Honey Butter and Citrus Marmalade. Next month my friend and I plan to can soups in the pressure cooker.

#24 ·
I need to take inventory of my stockpile and from there determine what I need. I know that during July and August I'll be laid off and resume work beginning of Sept but won't see a paycheque until end of Sept. So, I need to prepare for that and get my ducks in order so to speak.

Aside from food items, I want to start stockpiling other things as well, such as medical supplies, kitty litter/pet food, heirloom seeds (trying to convince dbf to dig up some of our backyard for a small garden but doesn't like the thought of 'ruining' the lawn *sigh*), duct tape, a solar powered battery charger, cleaners, bleach, water, etc. I would like a solar cooker but can't see it working too great in -43 C. weather conditions :p I also want an outdoor firepit built in our backyard (he moans at the suggestion of a garden but mention a firepit and his caveman tendencies come out with a gleeful grunt! lol)
I'd like to stock up on some propane for the bbq. Bug repellant, sunblock.
I'd like to make some homemade jam and learn how to do canning. I also want a food dehydrator.I'd love to learn how to make beef jerky and pemmican.

#26 ·
Got some more frosting buckets today. I stored the following in them:
Pasta
Rice
Beans

I bought some fruit producing items today which would be 40 strawberry roots & 2 raspberry plants.

I also got some asparagus roots.

Looked at the baby chicks can not wait till I get mine.

#27 ·
I killed off my tiny EF today at Costco. It probably was not the best monetary decision but there were some unbelievable deals. I didn't get nearly as much as I wanted to! I got:

~ 8 cans tomato paste
~ humongous can of fruit salad
~ big bag of clearance apples for drying
~ big bag of clearance bananas for drying and pureeing for baked goods
~ orange juice
~ 2 jugs of lemon juice
~ 100 garbage bags
~ 3 bags of pierogies

The good news is that I didn't need any week-to-week food except for milk! My stockpile is finally functional!

#28 ·
I added to the stockpile.
3 lbs hamburger
about 10 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts $1.79 lb
2 cans Manwich $1 each
2 big peppers which I will dice and freeze

Included in other groceries were 3lb onions which will last awhile. Think I'm going to fry up some of the hamburger, peppers and onions and have them already fixed as we use alot of that and freeze it.

#30 ·
You could make some more freezer meals to make it easier on yourself.. just with some of the items you purchased I have made Chili,Taco meat,Meatballs,Sloppy joes, meatloaf..(not cooked)Stuffed peppers but instead I layer the peppers like a casserole.. already cooked in my freezer right now..With the Chicken breast i have made (already cooked) Chicken Marsala,Chicken parm..not cooked...Chicken tender's..HTH's...

#29 ·
Niko ~ here is a recipe off my old blog that freezes really well for the meat, onions and peppers.

Ground meat:

1 pound of ground whatever ( lean beef, chicken breast or turkey breast)
1/4 cup diced onion and peppers
2 cloves of minced garlic
chili powder to taste
1/2 can of tomato paste
1 tbsp brown sugar

Saute veggies in a bit of olive oil. Add meat and cook until browned. Add chili powder, salt and sugar, and stir in tomato paste. Thin with water if necessary. Cook for a couple of minutes until blended.

This mixture is good for a quick taco filling, spaghetti sauce, or chili. It is also good stirred into rice and topped with salsa for an all in one dish.

It freezes really well - I just put it into single serving ziplock bags. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.