A little Scary - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little Scary

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use the mushroom cream soup powder to make a quick strogonoff. Rehydrate the powder and add browned ground beef and some extra seasonings ( of course!) and some powdered rehydrated sour cream and then serve over noodles. I do the same with the cream of chicken. I use it to make a quick version of chicken a la king and serve over some biscuits,etc.
    At this site:
    Food Storage Recipes Home Page - Emergency Essentials

They have recipes to get you started. There are also books out on the market about using your storage foods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow, that's great! I will definitely look at that link, thanks. My way of thinking though is living with no electricity, including a fridge/freezer so I probably wouldn't have meat to brown.. when we got hit by Hurricane Rita our house thankfully weathered the storm but the area was so devastated we went almost three weeks with no electricity. We could only have basic cold stuff stored in ice chests with ice we got from standing in line to get a bag or two from the National Guard who came to help. Meat spoils quickly and gets fed to the dogs I am stockpiling and prepping and getting ready for the next hurricane season which starts June 1st.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could have browned meat if you pressure canned it in advance. (which is also a great way to salvage a freezer when the power goes out - using a propane burner)

I don't think it's any big secret that the last few years FEMA and other government entities have stocked up on dried foodstocks. It started big time back around Katrina.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MsMarieH View Post
    You could have browned meat if you pressure canned it in advance. (which is also a great way to salvage a freezer when the power goes out - using a propane burner)

So true.. unfortunately I dont have a canner (or is it pressure cooker?) and don't know how. I would love to learn, but the last time I checked into it, they were pretty pricey and I was amazed at the amount of salt needed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12