Article about doomsday shelters & preparedness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Article about doomsday shelters & preparedness

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The writer of this article is for sure poking fun. Too bad for him. I don't have a bomb shelter or doomsday timeshare and wouldn't even if I could afford one.

What worries me the most is the cost of everything going up in price so drastically that It will be very difficult to purchase, if it is there to purchase at all.

We have all gone over the many different senarios that could have to us and have made decisions to at least try to have something in place.

Let the guy poke fun, he would probably be crying like a baby at the first hardship and crying why isn't the government taking care of this disaster like yesterday!!!!

Proverbs 21:10 In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all that he has.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, he was poking fun. I don't have a bomb shelter, but it is wise for everyone to have some supplies in case of a natural disaster. We have gone through some pretty fierce blizzards here (unexpected). Luckily I had a small stockpile of food and supplies. And thank God we had an alternate source of heat and light because the power was out for 2 weeks in some places.
    So, you see, being prepared is not just about "end of the world" scenarios.
    Also, buying food on sale and stocking up just makes budget sense. I see the prices creeping up again and the package sizes creeping down.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    The writer of this article is for sure poking fun. Too bad for him. I don't have a bomb shelter or doomsday timeshare and wouldn't even if I could afford one.

What worries me the most is the cost of everything going up in price so drastically that It will be very difficult to purchase, if it is there to purchase at all.

We have all gone over the many different senarios that could have to us and have made decisions to at least try to have something in place.

Let the guy poke fun, he would probably be crying like a baby at the first hardship and crying why isn't the government taking care of this disaster like yesterday!!!!

Proverbs 21:10 In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all that he has.
    I like that proverb, thanks for sharing it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd be willing to bet he'll be one of the first ones with his hand out to those of us that's been trying to prepare. Gggrrrr.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

He doesn't list his name even on his website. So I suppose that speaks volumes doesn't it?
    I will continue on my path as I see it while he writes his silly little articles. We keep a few things but don't get too crazy.

Why do I think he would have been OUTSIDE a famous ark when the rains came.lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think he has a valid point. I certainly agree he is poking fun, but I'm not sure from that article that he is against disaster prep in general. I think he is speaking out specifically against people making preparations for things that are hugely unlikely to happen rather than things that could more realistically happen.

It's like someone stocking their car with six months worth of granola bars and water bottles in case they are stranded somewhere by a freak blizzard in July while never looking at their gas tank gauge. Which is more likely? That you would run out of gas or that a freak blizzard would strike in July?

Start with the likely first and go from there.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

From the article

This latest Japan earthquake and tsunami 1-2 punch that put the reactors in jeopardy is so unlikely to occur here that I don’t even give it a second thought. Some say, “well, this nuclear facility is in a seismic area”. OK, but a contributing factor to the current situation in Japan is that a massive wave came and wiped away the backup generators that should have and would have been keeping the cooling towers running. So, is the thinking that somewhere 50 miles inland we’re going to have a massive tsunami come through as well? Reactors in the US are built with so many redundant systems (and it’s the American experts Japan finally allowed in to help assist in the shutdown of the reactor that would be overseeing a crisis in the US) and protocols that the likelihood of a serious release near you in your lifetime is much lower than risks you don’t even contemplate that ARE real.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    a power plant of the same kind could be taken out by an earthquake alone no water involved. So his attitude about being 50 miles inland no water to do damage, well maybe not water but an earthquake could no doubt do horrible damage especially if it is right where the center is. Are backup generators immune to earthquake damage? I doubt it.

IMO

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

--------------------------------------------------------------
    a power plant of the same kind could be taken out by an earthquake alone no water involved. So his attitude about being 50 miles inland no water to do damage, well maybe not water but an earthquake could no doubt do horrible damage especially if it is right where the center is. Are backup generators immune to earthquake damage? I doubt it.

IMO
    Jas, you're right and when Japan happened I got online to see how many Florida has. We have 3. Can't remember exactly where they are, I googled it and it came up.
    However I do remember that being Central we're surrounded and if even one happened we'd be screwed.
    Think one was close to you.
    Idiots.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Living on the west coast means I also live in the "ring of fire". I experienced more than one earthquake of significance in my lifetime, a volcano that erupted and caused some rather large issues and some pretty severe storms. Although the "big one" may or may not happen while I am alive, I still find it irresponsible to not have some preparations in case it does. It's like the 3 little pigs story....build your house of bricks!!!

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are three in Florida
    Crystal River on the West coast north of Tampa, St Lucie which is on the east south of Cape Canaveral, and Turkey point near Miami.

The closest one to me is the St. Lucie one which is probably around 100 miles from me. There are two reactors there. All three are close to the water and are in hurricane zones for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are three in Florida
    Crystal River on the West coast north of Tampa, St Lucie which is on the east south of Cape Canaveral, and Turkey point near Miami.

The closest one to me is the St. Lucie one which is probably around 100 miles from me. There are two reactors there. All three are close to the water and are in hurricane zones for sure.
    Makes you feel real safe dosent' it...when I lived in Ohio I lived about 10 miles from one in Piketon...Ex worked there...had to take special showers several times. Ugh!
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There is a power plant on the Beachline heading to the Orlando International Airport that looks like it is nuclear but I guess it isn't thank goodness.

ten miles is too darn close! I understand people just can't up and move away from them if they have lived there forever. I guess you just pray no disaster happens.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our government lacks the manpower and the resources to care for even a small segment of our population in a short term, large scale emergency, let alone a long term one. Think Katrina.

The emergency does not have to be nuclear, or even storm related to be a huge disaster. It does not even have to involve the entire U.S., it only has to involve you if you are unprepared.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Our government lacks the manpower and the resources to care for even a small segment of our population in a short term, large scale emergency, let alone a long term one. Think Katrina.

The emergency does not have to be nuclear, or even storm related to be a huge disaster. It does not even have to involve the entire U.S., it only has to involve you if you are unprepared.
    I was just listening to NPR a little while back talk about this. They were talking about Japan's disaster. Us helping them and plans for disasters here.

They said that we have learned a lot from Katrina.
    We needed to be better prepared and needed to be able to get to a disaster earlier. They now can mobilize before an area is declared an emergency or disaster zone before they could not.

The article concluded by saying that the lessons learned from Katrina had helped us be able to help Japan faster and better than we would have been able to before. It also said that if Katrina had happened now (after Katrina's lessons) help would have been better and more timely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast