do people really have a gun? - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have several guns. Many rifles for hunting, couple shot guns, one handgun. My Dad has several, and hubbys dad has well over 60 guns of varying types, some collectible, but all functional. I wouldn't NOT want to have one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have no clue how many guns we have. Some are heirloom guns that have been passed down through DH's family. DH and his brother swap them around regularly, so I never know what we have or how many we have. DH and I both carry handguns. DH open carries his weapon (meaning that he does not carry it concealed and, yes, it is legal to carry it that way in our state).

As for using them in a defense purpose, yeah, we would. We live in a county where there are only six LEO for the whole county. None of them are on duty between 10 pm and 10 am. And, they published this on the front page of the Oregonian (Portland's major newspaper). If we need to, we would protect ourselves now and definately if the SHTF.

As for gun safety, we started the boys on the four rules/gun training when they were about 18 months. We started letting them shoot once we felt like they were responsible enough (about 8ish). Two of the boys are better shots than I am. One of them is good enough that he keeps getting people to try to convince him to do competitions. The running joke is that if we are out and someone starts shooting at us, I am handing my gun to him. It frustrates him to no end that he can't carry a weapon because he is only 13 even though he is responsible, but idiots who have no training and are stupid with weapons can carry them just because of their age.

DH is a big believer in regular practice. He probably goes on average at least once a month over the course of a year (actually, probably more than that). DH nags me constantly because I don't go often enough (probably about once every three months). I really get nagged if I don't hit the target well enough when I do go shooting. The last time it was 19 out of 21 on the target (one of the salad plate sized ones). DH gets them all in a three inch circle. I will never be that good.

And, yeah, if you are on the fence, you shouldn't get a gun. If don't know if you could shoot someone in a self-defense situation, then you shouldn't have one. I don't really believe in killing things. But, if a bad guy is going to harm my babies, I am taking their butt out. Take some classes, talk to some people, lurk on a gun message board, go to shooting with some friends, go to a range where they will let you rent guns to try out several to find one that you like, etc. Guns aren't for everyone (proven by the idiots who shoot themselves or others - most accidents could be avoided if people would follow the four rules). And, regular target practice is important.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    No, I have no guns nor will I ever own a gun.
    People have them to hunt, okay fine but Im not a hunter
    People who have them for protection primarily (but not exclusively) fall into two categories , criminals or paranoid. I find neither of those to be people who should have a gun.
    You don't think that last bit is perhaps just a BIT of an over-generalization?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Big black SCARY guns!!!
    Oooo... Black guns are evil. Don't you know that? **teehee** Ours aren't evil. They aren't all black. Well, we do have an "assult" 22 handgun.

I always get a good giggle when the news talks about an "arsenal" and it is only a handful of weapons (maybe four) and about a 1000 rounds of ammunition. 22's come in packs of 500.

Side note: Assault weapons are ones that are all black. Meaning the little 22 handgun we have for cheap target practice is an assault weapon, but the 9 mils and the 380 aren't because they have silver on them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, we have them.My husband is a bit of a collector.We are in the process of mega stocking ammunition.Just because we want to. I go with him to practice, and it's not difficult as we do it on our own property. We both will use them if necessary to defend what is ours, or for protection.I do love knowing who is unarmed , in case of a collapse.LOL!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a nice, non-evil gun:

You can tell how friendly it is by how happy this woman holding it is.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are *real* handguns that are pink.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we don't have any guns. we never will. i could never fire a gun at anything, let alone a person or an animal.

but, i don't consider myself a prepper or a survivalist.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    No, I have no guns nor will I ever own a gun.
    People have them to hunt, okay fine but Im not a hunter
    People who have them for protection primarily (but not exclusively) fall into two categories , criminals or paranoid. I find neither of those to be people who should have a gun.
    i am neither criminal nor paranoid, but i would like to learn how to use and buy a gun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shotguns, a 22 and several handguns. I live in Oklahoma and the town I live in the police encourage people to get their CCW. The home invader types have found out pretty quickly not to mess with armed homeowners!

The riots in Britain brought it home to me how important it is to have laws that protect the homes and persons of those being victimized rather than the criminals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can understand the need to have a gun. Personally they scare the cr9p out of me so I won't be owning one.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't say that we are criminal or paranoid. Hubby is in law enforcement. His weapon is a job requirement.

Hubby has had someone he has had dealings with in his career threaten our family. So no, I wouldn't say we are paranoid. I would say that we are vigilant and prepared for something that is a real threat in our life. To us, it's no different than having a stockpile ready in the event of a job loss.

Besides, we love shooting. It's fun to us. I told hubby that I want a pretty pink AR-15. sigh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't have one, won't have one, wouldn't use it if I did. If the world truly devolves into such violent chaos, I'm not particularly interested in sticking around anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have several. My Dh has a CPL. We belong to a sportsmans club snd have for yrs. We are not criminals or paranoid and that is a VERY ignorant veiw.
    Both my kids,now adults were trained by professionals at the club and DD was in the venturing pistol club. Both know gun safety and can clean and load guns. When they are of age they will take their CPL requirements. FYI shooting is a sport like any other. Hunting can bring in food.
    Russ they shoot regularly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    There are *real* handguns that are pink.
    Yup. I have it. Fyi- I am not a criminal or paranoid but if you try to hurt me or my family I will use it. Period.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast