What Have You/Will You Prep for Winter 2011?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question What Have You/Will You Prep for Winter 2011?

I know its still the middle of summer, its super hot in some areas of the country but something made me think about winter and the storms we've had in the past as well as things we've gone/made due without etc. while wondering 'How can I prep better this year so it doesn't happen again?'

Example: Last winter we ate through our last loaf of bread from the freezer. Instead of weathering the blizzard to pop out and pick up another loaf or two I decided to attempt making it from scratch. We had one packet of yeast left. Lets just say it was 'edible' but not the prettiest thing to look at.

So this winter, I plan on stocking up on enough basic ingredients/staples so I can make bread from scratch if need be (as well as other baked goods). I also plan on stocking up on safety salt for the sidewalk and drive when it goes on sale in the fall as well as a new shovel or two as ours took a huge beating the past two winters. Possibly some extra hats/gloves as well from the dollar store come early fall.

What Have You/Will You Prep for Winter 2011?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We will make sure the fuel tank is full, extra gas for the generator. I have been making mitts, scarves and hats all summer so we have a good stock. I have also been making extra afghans for extra warmth.

I need to pick up more batteries and candles. Blizzards happen often here so can easily lose power. We also have to make sure that DFIL has enough oxygen tanks on hand for emergencies.

I have also been stocking the pantry really good this summer. So we will be set in the food department. The plow truck needs to have the new tires put on soon as well.

That's all I can think of for now but I know inhabe alot to do before the snow flies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I start to become obsessed with winter prepping starting anytime right now when we start to get cooler weather..We just had our Fuel tank filled..Have wood in the basement for our woodstove.Our generator is ready to go along with a full tank..We have around 20 gallons of fuel on hand in the gas cans..We are stocked up on food..I have lot's (a years worth or more) worth of baking ingredients..I have lot's of medicines..I have plenty of liquor to make Hot totties sp? or a stiff drink I/Dh need's one..LOL..I need to buy bottles of gingerale..I need to buy more blankets..I need to see if everyone has gloves hats and boot's( that still fit my mil buy's my boy's winter boot's whenever they outgrow the old ones..I think she will be buying them this year) I'm going to make my own candles this year..but still have lot's of yankee candle's left..I need to buy more Nyquil plus Nyquil nose inhaler stuff..I need to learn how to make window quilt's? I think I've covered most of area's but will checkout what other's post..

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Would like to stock up on plenty of canned goods and baking goods. Always need to make sure my mom has plenty of oxygen tanks on hand. I dont have a generator but would like one, especially because of mom needing oxygen. I also need new snow boots and salt for the sidewalks.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Let's see... plenty of food here, my candles and sterno are good, 2 bags of snow-melt for the steps (hardly ever need it here)...

I need to check the tires on the wagon, it might be time for new ones.

When your yeast is old you can add an extra pinch to the recipe and start it in room temp water. That will help get the rise you need.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Need to start stocking wood for the woodstove..It also needs a good cleaning and servicing ...I want to make some kind of window coverings to keep the heat in and cold out..Dh needs to get the snowblower ready to go...

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We stocked up on pellets for the pellet stove this past spring when the price dropped down to $199 a ton. We bought 3 tons, so that gives us 4 1/2 tons of pellets ready to go.

Theres really nothing we need to stock up on for winter. We take advantage of sales in the spring when prices are the cheapest and stock up then.

I have 4lbs of yeast in the stockpile so I won't be running out of that. I have 100's of lbs of wheat and corn to make breads with, so no worries there.
    We always have gas for the genny and propane for the stove and bbq's.

It's just the way we live so it's not like we have to rush to stock things for the different seasons.

Now, we did take advantage of the back to school sales and bought a bunch of totes for storage. And I bought huge packs of pencils and markers and such.

Hubby just did four of our vehicles for oil changes and topped off the fluids this past weekend. I do need to get another case of windsheild washer fluid at Sam's the next time, but other than that theres nothing we really need or are out of.

I like that feeling. Knowing that if something ( anything) happens we're ok on stuff. Thats good emotional insurance IMO.

Tai
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This will be our first full winter in a new place, so I'm taking into account what I learned last year.

I've already purchased a pair of the twin draft dodger things on clearance for $2.50 each, those are ready to go onto the bottoms of 2 doors to rooms we don't really want to pay to heat.

We have 2 space heaters to supplement the central radiator, and a third is installed in one of the bedrooms in case we need it.

Food-wise, we're in decent shape, especially since DH and I picked up 2 small grills that can be used on the back porch in an emergency situation. I also picked up a pressure cooker to conserve fuel, since things cook so much quicker in those! I'll be adding a couple hundred pounds of wheat and more yeast, plus some more powdered milk.

As far as outdoor stuff, we have a tote of coats, hats, and boots- the only one that needs boots now is me! I still have the winter car kits together, just need to swap them out for the summer car kits when the weather cools. The summer chairs get swapped out for the snowshovel, and that takes just minutes since I set it up already!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bought 3 LED battery operated lights for $5 each. Better then relying on candles when the power goes out. Very nice reading lamps.
    Starting the wood pile this weekend for heating the house with the woodburner.
    Canning everything in sight.
    DH is changing the oil in both vehicles this evening so they'll be set for the winter.
    Always stockpiling flour, sugar, and yeast.
    Getting all my Christmas gifts done before the bad weather sets in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl65 View Post
    Would like to stock up on plenty of canned goods and baking goods. Always need to make sure my mom has plenty of oxygen tanks on hand. I dont have a generator but would like one, especially because of mom needing oxygen. I also need new snow boots and salt for the sidewalks.
    I don't know how this all works with the electric co, but my dad was on dialysis and if their was a power outage; the electric co provided emergency electricity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just stocking up on canned food & tp for the pantry and get some salt for the steps and sidewalk. That's about it so far. Hope we don't have a rough winter like last year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I put up 24 qts of sweet corn this weekend..need to get snow melt, need to check on propane for gas grill. I am getting my stock of canned goods for my stockpile built up. We also need to get the ice guards put on the metal roof..last year we had so much ice built up on the roof we had to knock it off and it was at least 3 inches thick..if this had fallen on one of my customers it would have seriously injured them...or worse...they were supposed to be put on several years ago when they put the roof on , but never got done...working on this...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Food is always stocked. I'll replace the gas we keep for the generator. Wood for the fireplace if we lose power. I need to get more bubble wrap that I put on the inside of the windows in winter. I'll check the hat/ mitten supply but I'm sure it's in good shape.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also want to make some draft dodgers this fall looking for some cheap material.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have to cut and store firewood for Mom and us. We're busy now putting up food from gardens and orchard.

I like to have plenty of food, H & B, toilet paper, dog food, bird food, etc because our roads can become dangerous and I don't want to have to go to town. Also Mom's prescription medicines. She's get a 3 month supply at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast