A 7-day test of your preparations. . . - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

sinopa there are comments on the bottom of each "day/test" For ideas, what worked, didn't, etc. Mine have to load a minute before viewing (but my internet is totally slow). Also, on the right hand side there's a link to their Facebook thingy (most people use this - I do not.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't follow any of the prepper groups on FB either. I figure my prepping is private and I don't need the whole world knowing about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Today's challenge hits a bit close to home - FIL passed away in July. DH, myself and MIL did all the 'arrangements'. No will. Luckily, MIL did the bills, so she had a clue - me, I'd be a bit stuck, I think, till bills started rolling in. . . yikes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It hits close to home for me too. My X, the girls' dad, passed away in March and there were no preparations made whatsoever. It convinced me, first and foremost, to get my own affairs in order. I have life insurance, a will, an executor and custodians all arranged.

The idea of leaving my girls orphan scares me and weighs on my mind frequently. When there are two parents it isn't something that seems likely. When you are the only person that stands between your children and being an orphan, it's terrifying. I'm trying to be very vigilant with my health because of this, which is something most people don't consider. It seems so vital now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

okay the cake with no fridge stuff and no electricity.

I found this grill cake that seems to only use pantry items. I haven't tried it but it looked good.

Campfire Cake - A Mighty Appetite

The evacuation challenge was hard for me as like it has been said before on this post we normally have to bug in.

We did have to evacuate from girl scout camp once from a flood. The town I lived in was flooded but my house was not. We had to leave everything at camp. Restaurants were still open just not serving anything that would use water as we were on a boiling order. Toilets still flushed. By the way, the flood caused the area to be replanned with a bigger holding lake and better water release plan. They also replanned the town so no houses were in a the earliest flood plain. No flood in that town since.

So I have a hard time picturing a true 30 min evacuation use your 72 hour kit senerio

The finance challenge was easy. we both knew the answers.

That should catch me up on posting off to see what today's challenge is.
    Last edited by imagine; 09-19-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

today challenge (finical crisis) although we are still getting paid.

we are hesitate to spend much in areas that are within our ability to doing so.

So the free family fun and cook everything from scratch challenge is not a hypothetical challenge it is more reality. Have several basic cookbooks that have the scratch stuff in it plus some learned know how. So the don't use the internet for recipes would not be a challenge for this either.

Someone's birthday is coking up do something nice for them that won't cost anything. That is near a reality too. My mom's birthday is coming up with little to none to spend on it. I hope it ends up being a special day for her and she feels loved by us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the link, imagine. That recipe is one of my mom's favorites 'vinager cake' to us - we had friends allergic to dairy, it was a great birthday cake (cause she always had a seperate piece at parties.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Imagine, I was thinking the same thing. My life is identical to this, less the lack of internet.

We are having leftover soup for supper. Lunch was pb and crackers from the pantry. Breakfast was toast (from bread in the deep freeze.)

DD10 is sick today and I had all the medicine needed in my medicine cabinet stock pile. I made her peppermint tea from mint we grew this summer. I also had stockpiled Vitamin C and echinacea caps which she is also taking.

I just pulled a piece of jewerly from my gift stockpile for my best friend's birthday and we used a gift bag and tissue paper one of us had received for a birthday somewhere along the line.

This makes me smile because I feel pretty well prepared today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

At work - it amazes me the junkie processed foods people eat. I ate end of season veggies and fruits, homemade wheat thins, and I'm satisfied.

We are very careful financially. With zero income - we'd be fine for 6 months, and in that time, we could pay off our only cc debt, as well as the last 2 payments on the pick-up.

I make from scratch most foods, what I don't, I stockpile (pasta, for example).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today is health challenge

Although I would not want to cook Gluten free. I could. I know a bunch about it as we have several friends that are Celiac and have to be gluten free

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I could adapt fairly well to dietary issues. It's actually been sort of a weird hobby of mine. I've got family members with all sorts of allergies that I cook for. Gluten free is along the same lines.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

I spent time looking up stuff today - actually pretty clueless about gluten-free diet. (although I have noticed lots of labels saying it)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for posting this. I'm coming on late but will poke around the site. Today's challenge is bake bread which I do 4xweek anyway BUT they want you to grind wheat. If I had wheat I would just cook it in a pot as "pilaf".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I have to admit, today's challenge is beyond me and my supplies.

#1. I have no wheat to grind - just flour
    #2. If I had wheat to grind, I have no grinder with which to grind it.
    #3. Ummmm.....does anyone have instructions for making bread on a hibachi?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by joyofsix View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I'm coming on late but will poke around the site. Today's challenge is bake bread which I do 4xweek anyway BUT they want you to grind wheat. If I had wheat I would just cook it in a pot as "pilaf".
    That is by thinking too.

I was just talking about this with the kids the morning. Little Miss wanted her brother to make her a dip egg and he wasn't to keen on the idea. So Little Miss is frustration spouted off "Fine I won't have eggs then" We tried to show her that her brother not really wanting to make an egg just as he sat down to eat his egg didn't mean a all or nothing deal.

There were many options left to her many which included having eggs for breakfast.

Plan A won't work move on to plan B or C or D or M or Z.

I think in disasters you have to be flexible and look for options.

I think this is why I had a had time with some of the sernerios there are to many options.

Take for example the evacuation senerio. Some mean moving to your neighbor's house for the night, some mean moving into the hotel provided by salvation Army or your insurance until your house is rebuilt. Or moving to your in laws for a week.

I also believe that if the senerio is an End of Life as We Know It situation the quicker we come to terms that life will not be as we know it the easier life will be for us to handle. How long would we need to hold on to the notion we had to bake bread, when other things like pioneer bread or indian bread would be easier and tummy filling and the basically the same nutrition?

Flexibility and move on.

If I'm correct this was the last day of the 7 day challenge. It was fun and thought worthy. Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast