"Bug In" Meals - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Bug In" Meals

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post

Go to the jewelry depart of your local craft store and get the little zip-top baggies that are designed for jewelry. You buy them by the box in hundreds are they are fairly inexpensive. You can then make up your own little spice packets. They take up little space and can be stored/frozen easily.
    These things are great.They hold just the right amount. I've used them to make up ORS ( oral rehydration solution) packets for in the home and in the different bags we have.

They come in different sizes so you can go real small and use them to hold single servings of like bullion for a quick drink when you need something but don't want to bother with making something more solid.

They're also great for holding medications in your bags. I have them in the mini-bob for my important meds.

You can use the small to make single servings of sugar for your drinks and food. They're a little more sturdier than the paper packets that sugar comes in.

Theres all sorts of uses for the things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are they food safe?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like fun. My family used to go camping but I haven't done that style of camping in a while. I have done open hearth cooking which is always fun, if hard work.

Has anyone here heard of William Rubel's The Magic of Fire? It has open hearth recipes. I also like the fact that he discusses different stages of the fire so that when he mentions the type of fire that should be used for the recipe, you know what he's talking about.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am trying to stock up on foods with a 10 year shelf life. Normal canned goods and such need to be rotated and I'm no good at that. So I store things in 5 gallon food grade buckets with moisture absorbers, and there are a lot of foods that will last 10 years. I keep the things like canned goods on 2 large shelve racks in the basement and we do rotate those, but the deep storage things go in the cans and into the far corner of the basement.
    You can store things like beans, rice, dehydrated veggies, flour, baking soda, coffee, for 10 years if packaged and sealed correctly. We have a vacuum sealer with mylar storage bags that do not leak air when sealed correctly. The moisture absorbers are just insurance! We also use special gasketed lids for the buckets that seal very good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was looking for TVP that didn't contain soy because of health problems associated with eating too much of it and ran into seitan.

Now, I'm thinking...hmm, seitan with boullion cubes for fake beef and pork would really be more up my alley than TVP and it stores like other grain products and you can shape it into any fake meat you want.

Backwoodsgirl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12