Doomsday Preppers - a new series - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    And really anything I have is really in line with a financial meltdown, not any huge apocolyps type event.
    Did you see last nights episode?

Two of the segments were about people preparing for hype-inflation and or economic collapse.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Did you see last nights episode?

Two of the segments were about people preparing for hype-inflation and or economic collapse.
    No I haven't seen the whole thing yet, I recorded it and am going to watch it tonight with dh. I just watched the guy in NY and worried about the volcano eruption.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriAngel View Post
    Shows like this actually scare me. Should I be doing this and is it really going to get as bad as they are predicting?? We do have a small emergency supply in case of a small disaster which is common in my area (tornado, ice storm, etc.) but after watching this last night I think it needs to be a 3 year supply!
    Did you see/hear at the end of every episode or segment they say how likely every scenarios the people on the shows prepared for was to happen? I think it is the last few minutes of the show.

The one that stuck in my mind from the last show was the big earthquake one. It was a 1 in 50 chance each year. That really is not that much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No I haven't seen the whole thing yet, I recorded it and am going to watch it tonight with dh. I just watched the guy in NY and worried about the volcano eruption.
    Oh I didn't see that one. Must not have recorded all of it or maybe there were two episodes last night?

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think there were two, I have not watched any of the other one. One may have been a repeat I didn't know how many episodes there have been already so I taped them both but usually set DVR to record only the original one or else it gets filled up with so many repeats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The ones I have seen are
    The 2011 Documentary special. Episode called bullets lots of bullets and the episode called I hope I am crazy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i'm up to date until last night, I think. I like that the show is on as it let's me see the viewpoints of others. I know I'd not be comfortable with 22 years of food for 20, but it makes me feel less silly when I have 20 bars of soap in my stockpile, for example. I still need to figure out something better for water, and I like getting the thoughts of others on how to handle it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I will still store extra food that will last for a bit but I am going to be even more closed mouth about it. And really anything I have is really in line with a financial meltdown, not any huge apocolyps type event.
    That's about where we're at, in line with a financial meltdown. Course that could last a long long time.

I wanted to and meant to watch this. I've yet to see it. What channel and time is it on? Is it on a channel on the compute?
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I forgot about the ppl in va. They buy alcohol to barter with cause they don't drink. Buy vodka it's good to disinfect wounds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    That's about where we're at, in line with a financial meltdown. Course that could last a long long time.

I wanted to and meant to watch this. I've yet to see it. What channel and time is it on? Is it on a channel on the compute?
    New episodes are on Tuesday night. On the national Geographic channel it is on our cable tv

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[QUOTE=jas;1617153]More people know about what I have than I would like and they are trusted friends and family. They all just laugh and say I know where to come if SHTF. Well what I have I would share with my loved ones but it won't last all that long at all.

QUOTE]

I "had" a friend whom I've known for years. Since before the bubble burst, I've been warning her things are going to get pretty bad and you've got a little girl to take care of. You need to quit bar hopping (she's supposedly karioke hopping), settle down and get ready.

Always broke, always close to getting her utilities or something shut off and yet she does nothing but spend, spend spend everytime she gets things straightened out and then chides me because "I don't have the money to waste on foolishness".

One night, I told her I was moving to FL to move in with my friend and we were going to get ready and I suggested strongly that she do the same.

She stated, "Well, since I know you are getting prepared I'll just come to your place when the SHTF. With all of the work you are doing, you'll have enough for me and my daughter."

I said, "Honey, I'm not sacrificing and working my tail off so that you can go out and party every weekend and then come sponge off us when things get tough. If you can't lift a finger to help yourself now, don't come knockin' on MY door!"

She'll expect Food Stamps to be there for her and she'll be in for a rude awakening.

I called her after I moved and she had her phone cut off.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriAngel View Post
    Shows like this actually scare me. Should I be doing this and is it really going to get as bad as they are predicting?? We do have a small emergency supply in case of a small disaster which is common in my area (tornado, ice storm, etc.) but after watching this last night I think it needs to be a 3 year supply!
    When you start thinking really long term there are two conclusions you come to...

1. It's gonna take a lot of money to prepare for that long!
    2. There's no way to prepare for every possible scenario.

So, I just changed my life totally around. I live it. Don't so much prepare for it, but live it and then you are ready if it hits.

I garden. I'm planting fruit trees, vine, bushes. I can. I cook from scratch most of the time. I stock up because it's cheaper. I keep my life simple and don't rely upon a lot of fancy stuff except for this computer.

I grow herbs. Make my own medicine. Don't rely a whole lot on the health system. A good immune system goes a long way in staying healthy. Work on keeping that built up and you're good for most anything.

I sew. Keep critters. Etc.

If something happened, after we get everything squared away (we still need goats), it wouldn't really phase us a whole lot.

We have older vehicles. No computerized parts.

We use a woodstove for heat and can cook on it. We don't use air conditioning.

You would definitely have to be wealthy to save enough back for three years. Especially if you are stocking up on dehydrated survival packs.

We are both on Social Security. Together we are slightly above the poverty level, but we believe it can be done with a lot of sweat equity.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i've saw three of the epi's and can't say that I found anything useful- the shipping container house (already looking into that for me and my 2), the growing food/chickens/goat for milk - can't do that where I am currently living well containers for the food, stockpiling - i'm doing what i can when i can would love to be able to have ayrs worth of non perishables and am slowly working on foods that we eat. still looking for a place to buy some wheat. the deliveries in the middle of night so neighbors wont know what you have stockpiled (BUT you show your home, children, on national tv- but they wont know it's me or come to my house when TSHTF)- had a good laugh when ds mentioned that, then we had a lengthy discussion about how we'd be on the show without 'letting the food out of the pantry'.

I was recently asked if I wanted to place an order for #10 cans/pouches from mountainhouse- sadly i had to decline as finances aren't where i need them to be. haven't talked to friend to see if he's got his order yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found the episodes on cable on demand last night for free. Hubby and I watched one episode.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Backwoodsgirl. There is no way anybody can store up enough of everything. I just want to learn how to produce the things we need.

Economic collapse and "doomsday" happened in Bosnia, Zimbabwe, Weimar, Germany; Argentina and many other places. I think it's a bit naive of us here in the US to think it can't happen here.

I try to live a life of "sustainable preparedness".

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast