Doomsday Preppers - a new series - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I watched parts of one show on Hulu. I was amazed at all the food preparation, how they were able to bug out so quickly, and their strategy of moving their bug out in a way to defend themselves. Yes it all seemed extreme to me. Couldn't help but notice the wife seemed really out of shape.

The area I live in has stores all over and close by. I never stockpiled the way I am now. I basically have two closets for stockpiling. Would be more probably if I had the room. That said the main reason I started stockpiling a couple months worth for just me is when I saw what happened in New Orleans. Made me realize that it is better to be prepared somewhat than not prepared at all.

You just never know what can happen. The stockpile has helped greatly when an unexpected expense happens. I know the little amount I have stockpiled may seem like alot to some of my friends. The few I have shown always say, I know where to go if something happens. But compared to these preppers I have nothing.

I do tell myself that if I had a house with some land I would be out there gardening.

While I think the show really shows an extreme a part of me can't help but think they will definately be prepared if something horrible were to happen, grant it not close to them.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    I know the little amount I have stockpiled may seem like alot to some of my friends. The few I have shown always say, I know where to go if something happens. But compared to these preppers I have nothing.
    Exactly!! I have food for a year, and toiletries and standard medicine for 3-5 years. But my water supply is pathetic. I have NO weapons. I have no escape plan. Heck, we don't even have a fire extinguisher except the one in the car (must do something about that!). The show gives me ideas of things I can improve on, but also reinforces in my mind that I am not a doomsday survivalist, as cool as it looks and as much as I might covet their pantries, it's not my life.

And of course the few friends (and my brother in law) who've seen it think I'm crazy and weird. I don't really care though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't understand the people who have twenty years' worth of food, but then again I don't understand those who have only a couple days' worth, either. So I guess I fall somewhere in between and I'm perfectly happy with that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    I know that this Doomsday Preppers is a show. But watching it the first thing that strikes me is that these people they've shown have (for the most part) a very myopic view. They have food for a decade but are so out of shape they can't move fast to run and must surely depend on prescription meds. I can't imagine most of them could last more than 3 months.
    Also, living in an urban setting I would worry less about my neighbors then random people who wandered in to find food or shelter. I would worry about a desperate person driving a car headlong into the house to get food while i slept. I would worry if I could be down and dirty enough to do some of the things necessary and if I could live w/ who I'd become. I would worry someone would eat my dogs. A lot of people veiw this like a game. I worry about how much of a deficit I would be up against because I am bound by christian moralities and that is not a handicap a lot of others would have.

At this point I would like to suggest Patriotnurse its on utube prepper videos. She has videos on medical kits in 3 levels and does a chilling scenerios about how long certain groups would live from a medical perspective. A bit chilling.
    I agree with you and I also saw the video's and she's right.

I hope the following statements don't offend anybody...

But, just because you are a Christian doesn't mean you have to be a doormat. The parable of the Ten Virgins for instance, the five that were prepared didn't have pity on those that fell asleep and weren't prepared. Mt. 25

Then there is the faithful and wise servant, compared to those that got drunk. Mt. 24 The wise servant provided ONLY for the other servants, not the drunkards.

Being a Christian does not preclude that you are not to protect yourself or your family. As an example, Luke 22:36 And I checked 4 seperate concordances to see if I was understanding it correctly. Gill, Clarke, JFB and Barnes.

Just because things get bad doesn't mean I'll go out hunting people but I have no problem with shooting someone in self-defense. That's another good reason not to live in a city. There, it would be worse than Katrina. Scores of hungry, angry, disillusioned people with no morals, no conscience and no way to get anything except to try and take it by force.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default i agree...

we dont live in town...we live further out....(not as far as i would like, we have neighbors on both sides)...i would rather be far out because if the shtf scenario i think the further out you are the safer you are...people are going to need gas to get there and vehicles etc and well as far as i would like to be out they woul dnot be able to find me....
    QUOTE=Backwoodsgirl;4111503087]I agree with you and I also saw the video's and she's right.

I hope the following statements don't offend anybody...

But, just because you are a Christian doesn't mean you have to be a doormat. The parable of the Ten Virgins for instance, the five that were prepared didn't have pity on those that fell asleep and weren't prepared. Mt. 25

Then there is the faithful and wise servant, compared to those that got drunk. Mt. 24 The wise servant provided ONLY for the other servants, not the drunkards.

Being a Christian does not preclude that you are not to protect yourself or your family. As an example, Luke 22:36 And I checked 4 seperate concordances to see if I was understanding it correctly. Gill, Clarke, JFB and Barnes.

Just because things get bad doesn't mean I'll go out hunting people but I have no problem with shooting someone in self-defense. That's another good reason not to live in a city. There, it would be worse than Katrina. Scores of hungry, angry, disillusioned people with no morals, no conscience and no way to get anything except to try and take it by force.

Backwoodsgirl[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am bored with the show already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was bored in the first minutes when I was watching it on TV.

I watched the segment inline about the family that converted the swimming pool into a self-sustaining food production system and that was interesting and impressive, I thought.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i saw something similar on animal planet last evening- didn't see the whole program just where the dad was preparing his children for WCS- kidnapping, being handcuffed how to escape... so he thought it would be a good idea to do a practice snatch n grab at the local park.... his wife said no until he and his 'trained' friend did a video (him in a poor disguise) of his kids at the water park how they were unaware of 'surroundings'... she finally relented. one girl failed (she didn't have her cuff key or bobby pin on her) the other one Gibson passed -- the dad said she did all the right things, she calmed herself-used her key/pin to get out of the cuffs and ran in the opposite direction from where she was taken. still don't think I'd put mine through that.

question for all:
    where and how do you get medicine? stockpiled

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

bent, that seems unnecessarily traumatic for a child. I'm not a parent but I think I'd have to have pretty strong reason to believe my child was in danger before I put them through that.

As for medicine, I buy it at the pharmacy, that's the only place it's available where I live. I'm wary of buying drugs online but if you're comfortable doing so, that could be an option.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought so too, but for the younger child the first kidnapped her uncle was 'kidnapped' already in vehicle... I too am wary of online drugs so will just keep doing what I can with what I have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With the couple that had the huge stockpile of food I was wondering about rotation and expiration dates.... seems overwhelming to keep up with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    question for all:
    where and how do you get medicine? stockpiled
    For a lesser amount ask your doctor for samples. About 3 times a year I call my cardiologists office and ask for samples of my blood pressure meds. They always give me a months supply.
    The doctor knows we have had a hard time for 3 years and she said to do this if I needed it rather than go without.
    I rotate them around. I probably have 4 months worth now stocked. But then I also take a whole one one day and a half the next. I wouldn't take at all if I felt I could totally do without. But seriously dont think I need the dosage she has me on.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nikosan-I want your Dr. I have Never been able to get anything from mine. He won't even hand write presc. I have to wait until the office girls fax them to my pharmacy. I fact he won't do the 40 for breaking the 20's in half. I asked because the provider suggested it. He said to bring it in next time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

frugalwarrior, have you asked your pharmacist to give you 40s instead of 20s? Some of them will do it. It might depend on the drug but some are more flexible about preparations, especially if you go to a compounding pharmacy where they tend to be a little more reasonable about such things in my experience.

(Of course there are also the mean ones... I tried to buy empty gelatin caps at a compounding pharmacy and they accused me of trying to buy paraphanelia for illegal drugs!! I told them I could buy them on amazon but thought I'd throw a little business their way as it's a family business, but wouldn't be shopping anywhere where they thought I was a drug dealer LOL!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Nikosan-I want your Dr. I have Never been able to get anything from mine. He won't even hand write presc. I have to wait until the office girls fax them to my pharmacy. I fact he won't do the 40 for breaking the 20's in half. I asked because the provider suggested it. He said to bring it in next time!
    She wants me on Lipitor for example. We have no prescription...just a price reduction and not much of that. Last time I checked into Lipitor it was $300 some and going close to $400. I said no I couldn't afford it. She offered to give me the prescription for 80 mg and me cut in half.
    She gave me a huge sample bottle in the beginning a few years ago of the 80 to cut in half.
    Lipitor scares me.
    But yeah, she's good but I've been honest with her from the start of our financial problems and she knows our insurance sucks. Cholestrol is totally written out of my insurance part as pre-existing.
    From what I understand most doctors will do the higher with using the pill splitter in mind. Did you ask him why?
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4