My gutt is telling me...high gas prices - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the heirloom seeds. I got my mom to get me gift certificates to Bakers Creek and Renee's Garden for Christmas. I have veggies, herbs, and even some flowers.
    We have also ordered Apple trees to add to the ones we already have. Also we have bought grape vines, blueberry bushes, and strawberry plants. I also should have a new run of chicks coming in tomorrow. One of the main things I am really not where I should be is water. I have some and plan to get a barrel for rain water system, but we are behind on that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by thefrug View Post
    You can get heirloom seeds at Dollar General stores. Also Dollar Tree stores have them. The only problem is they get them in early like now and they only have a certain amount. When they're gone they're gone. Much cheaper than online and shipping.

With gas $3.99 here I went ahead and chose to go up to Pa to the Amish discount grocery.I spent $200 and it filled my trunk up completely.It would've been closer to double that at a regular store even with coupons. It was a toss up between that or the Mennonite grocery to get more wheat and sugar and such. Next payday I'll be going there. I think another 100# of wheat,25# sugar and more dried beans,spices,and canning jars is in order.
    I bought about $40 worth of the dollar store seeds, LOL! Then, went to walmart, home depot, etc to get some others.

I'll also save a lot of my own seeds from the garden this year.

We don't have an Amish store down here that I know of.

Family Dollar said they would get their canning jars in by the first part of May down here.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanna View Post
    I agree with the heirloom seeds. I got my mom to get me gift certificates to Bakers Creek and Renee's Garden for Christmas. I have veggies, herbs, and even some flowers.
    We have also ordered Apple trees to add to the ones we already have. Also we have bought grape vines, blueberry bushes, and strawberry plants. I also should have a new run of chicks coming in tomorrow. One of the main things I am really not where I should be is water. I have some and plan to get a barrel for rain water system, but we are behind on that.
    Good for you! The trees we planted this year came from Tractor Supply and they are already producing fruit!

I can understand on the water issue. We're behind on that too, but at least I've got most of the garden planted and what I don't get done this spring will get done this fall. We've got two seasons down here.

Just got through putting up trellises for all of the beds. Whew! That's a lot of vines! And still not enough vertical growing area yet.

Backwoodsgirl

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsgirl View Post
    The trees we planted this year came from Tractor Supply and they are already producing fruit!

l
    bad idea. You should allow them to establish a root system first.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Russ- Do you pinch the blossoms then?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes. You want all the energy going to establishing the root system. I know, it sucks to do it, but in the long run you will have a healthier tree.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am feeling te same as most of you on this topic. I am just trying get out of debt as quick as possible and stock up on everything when the deal is just too good. We have cut back on the driving drastically since I work from home now but there is still always area's to improve in. Right now I'm arranging a swap party for children's clothing for my friends. This has helped me out so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had fruit trees before and never took off the first fruits. They survived severe droughts and did just fine.

That, I believe is sort of like the question of growing tomatoes. Pinch off the suckers or leave 'em be?

I tried the 'pinch off the suckers' and it didn't work very well and didn't produce half as many tomatoes for me.

Backwoodsgirl

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't say they wouldn't survive.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know this is OT but Jeanna, that puppy is the cutest thing!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ARCMOMMY View Post
    I am feeling te same as most of you on this topic. I am just trying get out of debt as quick as possible and stock up on everything when the deal is just too good. We have cut back on the driving drastically since I work from home now but there is still always area's to improve in. Right now I'm arranging a swap party for children's clothing for my friends. This has helped me out so much.
    That's a cool idea! Yeah, we filled up the tank at the beginning of the month and am hoping it lasts until the end but we'll probably have to put at least another half tank in to get us through.

I bought a canned ham from Aldi's the other day and it has a shelf life of four more years!

So, we'll be stocking up on that. Also, I found out about seitan. It's high gluten wheat flour and it doubles as TVP but without the soy. You cook it in broth or something and it takes on that flavor. So, a lot of my stockpile will enclude pork and beef boullion and seitan. Canned meats and fish. A lot of corn, wheat and oats for grinding.

That should give us a well rounded diet with the garden and chickens.

Backwoodsgirl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12