My gutt is telling me...high gas prices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My gutt is telling me...high gas prices

My gutt is telling me that we need to put back as many seeds as possible because there are a lot of people out there that are "late bloomers" for this survival stuff and they are going to need our help with getting heirloom seeds and herbs. (my gutt is usually correct, unfortunately).

The gasoline prices are going to drive all the prices through the roof and we are already above $4 a gallon down here in FL.

I've got some seed I saved before I came down here and I'm using them. Others, because the deer were eating me out of house and home I didn't get saved up.

So, I'm not only stocking up for myself, but just in case there is somebody in need that will want them but won't be able to afford them.

There's something else too, but I'm not quite able to put my finger on it yet.
    Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was reading a article in last night's local newspaper from a AP wirephoto story....
    which I did find the story online on cbs news website. I quote from the article ...
    Obama finally scores coveted win on payroll tax .....
    "Obama says these tax steps will help support a fragile recovery
    from the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression."

If you don't have a backup plan in place currently.....
    you better activate one .....
    like yesterday.......

I'm worried about gas prices. We do have some seed from last year ready
    to go in the garden as soon as the weather warms up. I have had a bad
    gut feeling about the economy since last August, and it has not let up either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are working on it! Seriously!

I left just about everything behind to move to FL and practically gave my property away because of some bad memories from my marriage and hubby's death. The house wasn't in that great a shape and I didn't feel safe there anyway.

We've been working non-stop since I got here last August and we are still preparing. At least together it's a lot easier than it was alone.

Not wasting a lot of time and definitely not wasting a lot of money. Most of our purchases from the last couple of months have been from Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Lowes and the Dollar store and Aldi's. That's pretty much it.

We ran out of space because we've got building supplies all over creation. We're putting up insulation and getting things done. Still have to put in my summer kitchen so that I can can during summer but That's pretty much it.

I want some goats. We've got chickens. We've put in raised beds, fruit trees, etc. I've got seeds for fruit vines and some more stuff. We've got bananas all over the place.

Still need to stock up on grains, sugar, coffee, oil. Am looking into growing coffee and have the tea Camillia seeds.

I keep praying that we will get things done in time.

Backwoodsgirl

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

like yesterday.......

I meant this for the general reader......
    Backwoodsgirl, sorry if I confused you. I KNOW you are working on it ((hugs))

We have 2 acres. Chickens. Good neighbors.
    Decent stockpile, garden area, etc. But still have a ways to go yet.
    I want a decent EF and not to touch it unless it is an emergency.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We been working for awhile but still feel incredibly unprepared. I have a good stockpile but really can't get animals or plant too much. My garden last year was a bust.
    I can't say enough how glad I am DH can work from home and that we live 1/2 mile from the grocery. The majority we spend on gas is voluntary and the few days the kids drive to Comm. Coll. I budget $500. a month and am using 1/2 that so You know where I funnel it!
    I am trying like crazy to end our primary mortgage w/ in 12 months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've just begun prepping and it is a very slow process with just dh's income but we are plugging away at it and getting everything we can when we can! I just placed a second order for heirloom seeds and plan to order more when I can. I'm also trying to learn as much as I can about medicinal herbs, things I can use in place of OTC meds and plan to place an order for some of those things as soon as I know what I want!
    Gas hit the $4/gallon mark here several days ago so that's got us really thinking about boosting the prepping up more!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    like yesterday.......

I just had a visit today from a woman who moved from Illinois...poor woman! She knows what she needs to do but her boyfriend only gets one day off per week. Not much time for his help.

I reckon, we'll probably be helping her/them?

Don't know. They are the ones giving us the free firewood. I don't think they would listen right now if we told them they need to prepare for the worst case scenario, but she's willing to try to grow all of their food and get critters and that's a start.

Well, as for the EF, we are pouring everything into getting ready right now. After what they just did with the Tax cut to Soc. Sec. there won't be anything there when we get 60! Soc. Sec. will probably go bankrupt in another 5 to 7 years.

So, there's going to be a lot of old/disabled folks in dire straits pretty soon too.

On top of that, our local food pantry that most of the people who are poor depend on is going bankrupt. Don't know when they are going to close down, but we are pretty far away from any other food pantries. I don't know what some of those people are going to do.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by calimomx2 View Post
    I've just begun prepping and it is a very slow process with just dh's income but we are plugging away at it and getting everything we can when we can! I just placed a second order for heirloom seeds and plan to order more when I can. I'm also trying to learn as much as I can about medicinal herbs, things I can use in place of OTC meds and plan to place an order for some of those things as soon as I know what I want!
    Gas hit the $4/gallon mark here several days ago so that's got us really thinking about boosting the prepping up more!
    They are talking here that it will make it to the $5 a gallon mark. Me thinks that all of those new jobs that are opening up might tank again before it's over with. Businesses can't keep people employed if people can't afford their products!

So, yes prepare as much and as quickly as you can.

Some OTC meds are good things to have such as triple antibiotic ointment and allergy meds. However, there are good herbs available if you can grow them. Check on Abebooks.com you will find some good books on herbal remedies.

The Herbal Drugstore is a decent one and I paid 99cents for it. Another decent one, although its got some of Cullpepper's stuff in it (which I ignore), is The Complete Medicinal Herbal.

Online you can do a search for "Michael Moore" and "Herbal" and he has an entire site of documents to download.

The most important thing is to find plants that you can grow in your area...Plants that you and your family members are not allergic to...and remedies that you can make yourself that aren't difficult.

Teas and Tinctures are easy enough for the beginner. Salves are also good.

Plants grow in families. Tomatoes, Eggplant, Potatoes, Tobacco all grow in the nightshade family. If someone is allergic to several of these plants you wouldn't want to choose a plant from the nightshade family if there is another alternative available. I believe Petunias are in the nightshade family too.

So, take your time, do the research and don't just rely upon one or two books. This is your families health you will be dealing with.

Backwoodsgirl

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsgirl View Post

Online you can do a search for "Michael Moore" and "Herbal" and he has an entire site of documents to download.
    Is that the guy that died a few years ago at the young age of 68?
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Is that the guy that died a few years ago at the young age of 68?
    I think he did die, but he isn't the one that made those movies. That's a totally different guy...I hope!

Backwoodsgirl

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Michael Moore, the herbalist did in fact die in 2009.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you!

Where are those buttons? I just got used to them and they took them away

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    like yesterday.......

Oh, that underlined warning about the tax cuts didn't sink in. I ended up running into it again later on and man am I mad!!!

I reckon I was supposed to 'get it'.

Thanks,

Backwoodsgirl

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can get heirloom seeds at Dollar General stores. Also Dollar Tree stores have them. The only problem is they get them in early like now and they only have a certain amount. When they're gone they're gone. Much cheaper than online and shipping.

With gas $3.99 here I went ahead and chose to go up to Pa to the Amish discount grocery.I spent $200 and it filled my trunk up completely.It would've been closer to double that at a regular store even with coupons. It was a toss up between that or the Mennonite grocery to get more wheat and sugar and such. Next payday I'll be going there. I think another 100# of wheat,25# sugar and more dried beans,spices,and canning jars is in order.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the Amish store.I bought wheat there and sugar also. They had blueberries for $1.25 a pint. I am glad to see you back frug. Your blog was helpful to me as I began learning how and why prepping was important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast