Contagion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contagion

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Contagion

Anyone see this movie? Thoughts? Avian flu has been on our "zombie radar" for quite some time because of my husband's job.

It's just one of the things we're preparing for.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw the previews and wanted to see it just been too busy. I'm not really worried about it.

I don't get sick unless I'm around someone who has had a flu shot, then I get sick.

I also don't get flu shots for the very same reason. I've had two flu shots in my life and both times they made me ill.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I loved the movie and personally think it's not far from reality

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just watched it this weekend and it was so scary to me! Not just the disease aspect, but hw quickly everything fell apart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stuff does fall apart quickly when something strikes. Historically, those that have always had a garden, a couple of chickens and put up some food have faired a lot better than those reliant on the city.

City people don't have the know-how to make it through something like that. They just panic and loot, unless the gov'ment is there to bail them out.

I'm not really sure which concerns me more. A contagious disease striking (that can be handled by staying away from people) or dealing with the panicky people if one does hit. That's like trying to stop a stampede.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We watched it and liked the movie a lot. It was filmed in a very realistic fashion and really makes you think!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsgirl View Post

City people don't have the know-how to make it through something like that. They just panic and loot, unless the gov'ment is there to bail them out.
    Wow. So, that's like saying ALL country-dwellers are born with the ability to hunt?

I think you are confusing ABILITY and MEANS.

I am technically a city dweller as I live in a condo. I can't have a bountiful garden, fish from a creek out back, shoot the animals that cross my path... but that doesn't mean I don't know HOW.

Will I panic if people around me are dropping dead? Heck yes... Would I run out and start looting, burning things down? NO ... I sure as heck won't be doing the Dance of the Wild Things while waiting for the government to bail me out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, Lady V.

MILLIONS of people, when faced with disaster, chaos, and danger during Katrina DID NOT panic and loot. But naturally, the relative few bad actors got all the press.

Not everyone waits around for government bail-outs either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The biggest lesson I took from the movie was

1. how quickly 'new' germs can spread (and become fatal)

2. how unprepared a lot (though not all) of people are in the event of a disaster.

I live slightly outside of the city limits and our small town is a world away from the big city of Seattle. I'm confident that I could effectively quarantine my family in the event of a pandemic and we're equipped to be able to survive for quite some time without relying on rations or other gov't intervention.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post

Wow. So, that's like saying ALL country-dwellers are born with the ability to hunt?

I am technically a city dweller as I live in a condo. I can't have a bountiful garden, fish from a creek out back, shoot the animals that cross my path... but that doesn't mean I don't know HOW.

Will I panic if people around me are dropping dead? Heck yes... Would I run out and start looting, burning things down? NO ... I sure as heck won't be doing the Dance of the Wild Things while waiting for the government to bail me out.
    THANK YOU! I could not agree with you more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post

Actually, I reread my post and I didn't type the word "All" once! I was making generalizations. And just as an example of how things get started and go to you know where in a handbasket. Somebody decides to take offense at a comment that was a generalization and was not meant to offend anybody and tries to start WWIII.

And I don't know where any of you live and truly I doubt it's any of my business. If you wanted people to know I'm sure you would have stuck it under your personal info on the left hand side of this pane.

But are you truly trying to tell me that the majority of people who live in the city knew anything about this kind of stuff prior to the bubble burst? I mean my goodness! There's still people that believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows! Or worse yet, there's still a lot of people that can't tell you how to breed animals and get baby ones.

I've been running into ignorance for years. There's a big difference between ignorance and stupidity. We have several generations of people who even though they came from farm families, don't know the first thing about growing a garden because it didn't interest them or their parents or their grandparents.

There's more to the world than those that visit this and a few other forums on these topics. There's a ton of people out there who seriously don't have a clue! And in spite of what the media portrays, there's a ton of people who don't have computers, don't have internet and no, they don't know where to find this information even if they had an idea that they might want to.

Please don't put words in my mouth and I promise that I will try not to do the same thing to you some day when you are trying to make a quick post between chores.

Backwoodsgirl
    Last edited by Backwoodsgirl; 03-01-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

BWG - You didn't say "some city dwellers" or "most city dwellers" you meant the collective and you know it. Please don't try to paint me as the one trying to start WWIII.

If I had said "Country dwellers are uneducated because they are too busy making moonshine and babies to go to school." ... that, according to YOUR reply... would be okay because I didn't say ALL, I made a generalized statement.

This isn't the first time you've come across like sand paper. I had to correct the misrepresentation that city dwellers would go off the deep end because we don't know how to take care of ourselves.

As far as my location, it says I am in Massachusetts. I don't think I need to post my street address, do you?

Did I, a city dweller, know how to can, cook from scratch, survive in the wilderness before the bubble burst. Yes. I learned from my family, who are also city dwellers.

My Diva, another city dweller is 11 and is learning the life skills as well.

So... City dwellers DO know how to fend for themselves. Equal generalization using factual examples.

**** Now... to get back to the whole contagion scenario. It does worry me. At some point, the stockpile will be gone, even if I lived on a full farm, the water could be contaminated. Even rain water can be contaminated... etc

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsgirl View Post
    Stuff does fall apart quickly when something strikes. Historically, those that have always had a garden, a couple of chickens and put up some food have faired a lot better than those reliant on the city.

I'm not really sure which concerns me more. A contagious disease striking (that can be handled by staying away from people) or dealing with the panicky people if one does hit. That's like trying to stop a stampede.

Backwoodsgirl
    Generalizations like this are more likely to offend the masses than promote any sort of point. I'd really take a look at how you're wording things and remember that many long-term posters on here may not take too well to your generalizations about people.

City dwellers that only know how to panic and loot, and don't know how to fend for themselves? Really? Because this city dweller knows how to do more than you seem to paint us as.

I'm not sure if I'm more disgusted by your look-down-upon-others attitude or your gross overgeneralizations of the same people you choose to associate yourself with by being a member of this very forum.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

City people don't have the know how to get through something like that?

Did you seriously just say that? Sounds to me like you need to just stay in the backwoods with that backwoods, backwards way of thinking.

I have lots of friends and family in cities and ones who live in the country (several family members own farms). And I can tell you from personal knowledge that the farmers would freak out just as much as the city people. It depends on the person, not where they live. You can't assume because someone likes to live in the city that they're stupid and have no knowledge of resources or the "know how" to get by in such a situation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you want the thread shut down ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast