Assuming The SHTF and then... - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dunno...when SHTF - the people you thought you could trust suddenly flip out and become the exact people you don't want to trust, KWIM? And I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this - just b/c you're related directly by blood does not mean I trust you nor would help you. And of course, in the time of crisis....your mind can and will change.

Should SHTF - I'll do as best as I can. End of story.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post

Should SHTF - I'll do as best as I can. End of story.
    EXACTLY!! I can prepare and play over different scenarios in my mind and have a basic plan of action, but until I"m actually in a situation and have weighed all of my options at the time, there is no way to know exactly what I'll do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by thefrug View Post
    I don't know. Do you think an economic collapse would go down in like a flash or would it go more as a gradual thing? Like prices would go up constantly and imported things like cocoa,coffee,spices would maybe even stop being imported to the extent they are now? That you'd only be able to get them on a black market type of deal?
    I always wonder how something like that would go down. Fast or sneak up on us.Pricing foods out of reach of the non rich.
    And then would there more than likely be rationing? I'm thinking there would be. At least for a certain time anyways and on the imported stuff.

I'm always trying to figure how certain scenarios would happen just so I have some sort of idea what I'd need to do
    Frug, I honestly think that the time it will take to go from oh crap whats happening to the economy, to oh crap theres no food in the stores, rioting, looting and social decay will take at least a year, probably more like 2.
    We need to watch for the signs, like gasoline gets in short supply, food prices go outrageous, food gets in short supply, gasoline prices go to $10 a gallon, massive unenployment etc. To me, those are the triggers that will begin the cycle to total decay. When you see these signs, get ready!
    But, there are other things that can thrust us into it almost overnight, being EMP's and total grid shutdown. That is hopefully not going to happen but that is why we prepare isn't it.
    You know, I just had this thought. It is a shame that we have to discuss this as much as we do, and then if we don't discuss it, plan, prepare, and learn, we are taking the risk of dooming ourselves and our families.
    I miss the days when we never had to never even remotely think about things like this, dont you?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No one. Couldn't get to my parents an hour away. They prob. couldnt get here. i personally feel its best to lay low.
    I would hope no one comes to the door. I have never discussed this w/ friends or shown anyone what I have. Recently,I bring in large amts at night.

Had a discussion w/ DH as to who would be the most threat. He was worried about the neighborhood police officer. I laughed and said anyone hungry would be the biggest threat,anyone who didn't plan,the stranger whose car broke down or anyone who smelled food or saw lights.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ah yes...blissful ignorance lol!

hum...if it takes a year then we'll see the signs and may be able to lessen the blow more for ourselves.

It's not gonna be pretty whatever happens I do know that. People now a days are too attached to their toys and their fast foods.They're gonna throw their hissy fits big time and then they're gonna demand everyone else give them what they want. *chuckles*

A question was asked earlier of what was wrong with sharing?
    Hmm.. let's see... why should I share what my hubby and I have worked hard for to put back for ourselves with others who didn't and spent their time and money on toys, clothes, vacations and eating out, when we didn't?
    Why should I share with people who are so wrapped up in their own little fantasies, that they couldn't even bother to check a weather forecast let alone keep watch on whats going on in the world and help themselves?

I don't think so. If they even attempt to help themselves, then I may give them pointers and information to further their progress, but they're not getting anything of material goods out of me.

Yea, I'll explain how you have to give something back to the soil when you take from it so it can you more again. And I'll explain how you have to boil water for at least 10 mins to kill the critters lol.

But, I'm not giving them my compost or manure. And I'm not going to be collecting and boiling the water for them.
    The Lord helps those who help themselves ya know. So who am I to do it different from the Lord? lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    No one. Couldn't get to my parents an hour away. They prob. couldnt get here. i personally feel its best to lay low.
    I would hope no one comes to the door. I have never discussed this w/ friends or shown anyone what I have. Recently,I bring in large amts at night.

Had a discussion w/ DH as to who would be the most threat. He was worried about the neighborhood police officer. I laughed and said anyone hungry would be the biggest threat,anyone who didn't plan,the stranger whose car broke down or anyone who smelled food or saw lights.
    Hm. So be my usual hermit-self and I'll be ok Got it! I do wish the new house had an attached garage, I have always enjoyed the privacy of unloading my van inside my garage so others could not see what I bought. I am not a prepper but I think its a good safety thing in general. I only buy groceries once a month so the van is pretty full sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post

There is a lot of merit to what you are saying, and yeah, just because a guy is a police officer, doesn't mean you can trust him when he is seeing his family starve.
    We are definately bugging in and posting round the clock guard. If it gets that bad, you wont even be able to go to bed unless somebody stays up to keep watch. A good watch dog would help, but they cant shoot a gun either!
    Very innocent looking people will eventually become totally untrustworthy!
    One thing you all need to think about , is that if you dont have a gun, you are vulnerable, and will probably be one of the few that doesn't have one.
    This is not directed to frugalwarrior because they probably have the bases covered I'm sure. But I have heard other members say that they do not have a gun in their household. Big mistake, really big mistake!
    Folks, at least get a Ruger 10/22 .22 rifle and 5000 rounds of ammo. It would only cost around $400, and at least you could somewhat protect yourselves. And learn how to shoot it for christs sake. Dont just buy it and stick it in the closet!
    In SHTF, a gun is one of the most important thing you can have, and keeping your precious stash might be mpossible to hang onto without it, along with generally protecting your family.
    When bad guys find out that you have a gun of any kind, 99% of the time, they will move on to weaker prey!
    A gun will make untrustworthy people very trustworthy until they are off to another house or neighborhood, and away from yours!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just curious, how long are these SHTF scenarios for?

I am thinking about people who raise chickens for food, how would you hide those from neighbors. People purchasing ammo now are protected until the ammo runs out, I guess in general just wondering if everyone is looking at self-sustaining for years to come? I picture tending my garden and being attacked for its produce, you know?

I don't mean this as "how do you expect to do this" I am asking because I can't see past a 1 month time period of a SHTF scenario if people are breaking into houses, looting, attacking, and you mention people starving. What time frame before people could safely tend to their gardens and livestock?

Its all quite overwhelming for me to comprehend so just wanted to ask.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by thefrug View Post
    ah yes...blissful ignorance lol!

hum...if it takes a year then we'll see the signs and may be able to lessen the blow more for ourselves.

It's not gonna be pretty whatever happens I do know that. People now a days are too attached to their toys and their fast foods.They're gonna throw their hissy fits big time and then they're gonna demand everyone else give them what they want. *chuckles*

A question was asked earlier of what was wrong with sharing?
    Hmm.. let's see... why should I share what my hubby and I have worked hard for to put back for ourselves with others who didn't and spent their time and money on toys, clothes, vacations and eating out, when we didn't?
    Why should I share with people who are so wrapped up in their own little fantasies, that they couldn't even bother to check a weather forecast let alone keep watch on whats going on in the world and help themselves?

I don't think so. If they even attempt to help themselves, then I may give them pointers and information to further their progress, but they're not getting anything of material goods out of me.

Yea, I'll explain how you have to give something back to the soil when you take from it so it can you more again. And I'll explain how you have to boil water for at least 10 mins to kill the critters lol.

But, I'm not giving them my compost or manure. And I'm not going to be collecting and boiling the water for them.
    The Lord helps those who help themselves ya know. So who am I to do it different from the Lord? lol
    Yeah sharing is not on my list, except for the girls, and my kids. Everybody else is just SOL!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post

I am thinking about people who raise chickens for food, how would you hide those from neighbors. People purchasing ammo now are protected until the ammo runs out, I guess in general just wondering if everyone is looking at self-sustaining for years to come? I picture tending my garden and being attacked for its produce, you know?

I don't mean this as "how do you expect to do this" I am asking because I can't see past a 1 month time period of a SHTF scenario if people are breaking into houses, looting, attacking, and you mention people starving. What time frame before people could safely tend to their gardens and livestock?

Its all quite overwhelming for me to comprehend so just wanted to ask.
    Well, I can guarantee that if you have any sort of livestock or live on a farm or have a garden of any size, then you will be a target. Bet on it. So you need to be able to protect yourself and your stuff. No amount of talking and reasoning will stop ruthless hungry people. I don't care what political party your from or what views you have, that'll be a fact.

This is also why we've gathered enough for a year for ourselves. Depending on when something happens, you may have to wait thru a winter to be able to grow any foods. So you need enough to make it at least 3 months if not 6 just to cover your rear lol
    And you have to be ready for crop damage and bad weather,etc.

It's not gonna be pretty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    I was reading online recently that we are now in the WORST ECONOMIC DOWNTURN since the Great Depression. So any reading you can do about the Great Depression, might give you more ideas what might be coming for our economy. Our government likes to play with numbers. They want us to believe things are getting better. If someone is gettting unemployment and it runs out for them, then that person is no longer counted in the percentage of unemployed numbers. This is an election year. Our politicians want to get reelected. They will promise things that might not even be possible.

Anything you can do to prep is a good idea. And keeping it as low key as possible is the best idea. Better to be prepared than not prepared. None of us knows what is coming or how long bad things might last.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great depression fact: Deer and squirrels were hunted to near extinction and the only reason they didn't go extinct is that America has a lot of vast inaccessible area's that is not easy to get to, so the animals in those areas held them from extinction!
    As far as to how long could it last, if an EMP damages a lot of our utility systems station trasformers, it takes 8 months to build new transformers and they all are built in Italy, China, and some in Japan. Therefore the grid would be down at least 8 minths and probably longer. By that time this place would be a raging mess! The economy is not the only thing we have to worry about, but it is definately the most likely issue to take us down!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    I was reading online recently that we are now in the WORST ECONOMIC DOWNTURN since the Great Depression. So any reading you can do about the Great Depression, might give you more ideas what might be coming for our economy. Our government likes to play with numbers. They want us to believe things are getting better. If someone is gettting unemployment and it runs out for them, then that person is no longer counted in the percentage of unemployed numbers. This is an election year. Our politicians want to get reelected. They will promise things that might not even be possible.

Anything you can do to prep is a good idea. And keeping it as low key as possible is the best idea. Better to be prepared than not prepared. None of us knows what is coming or how long bad things might last.
    Yeah the election year is always full of promises and hooha! I wont beleive that until I see it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post

I agree with Lady on the reading from those that have been there. Look for articles/blogs/books written from people that have actually lived thru a SHTF experience instead of just relying on all the scenarios being thrown out there.

I know others don't want to help those that would not take the time in normal times to help themselves but you have to look at it this way. They may not be giving back in material goods but in cases like this there is safety in numbers. You will need to have a community to draw from for protection. You can have all the food & necessary items stockpiled to feed you and your family but if you are alone you are sitting ducks. You have a choice, share your stockpile with those that can at least help protect you or share it with those that will rob you and possibly kill you or your loved ones in the process.

As for the worst case long term SHTF - you won't be out there tending to your flocks or watering your flourishing gardens. There will be none of that. You will be eating possibly cold food (and no, not from the refrigerator- uncooked) by candle or lamp light every night. You will burying your waste (as in there is no running water in your home- no toilets) in your yard and you will spend the rest of the time taking turns protecting what little you have left all the while praying for this nightmare to end.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How do you form a community with those who have not planned? How do you share willingly with those who knock at the door intent to rob you of your food? I do not want those people in my community. I don't want them here now even before a collapse, I want them to leave me alone.The only community I am interested in are those who are doing the same thing I am now.Prepping and planning are an insurance policy.You may never need the payout but you will be thankful that you paid in when it comes time to pay out.You cannot benefit from a policy if you have not paid in.I would love to see the stockpiles and preps of those that plan on sharing with anyone. They must have amazing storehouses, enough to make Joseph look like a wanna be. I am working like a dog to build up just a six month supply for 13 people.It is grueling, time consuming, at times depressing and frustrating and it involves sacrifices .How do you house those who show up with nothing, warm them, provide the water and supplies with no advance preparation in a society that may be totally off grid?You have no electricity, no running water, no plumbing, and no skills?It takes space, time, planning, an ungodly amout of industry, and thrift to prepare for this type of emergency. I cannot imagine feeding and providing for whoever shows up at the door on my time, my effort and my expense.It would be crushing and would not allow others the opportunity to do what they need to in order to be a contributing citizen of any community in the present or in the future.
    Last edited by annymoll; 03-08-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast