Assuming The SHTF and then... - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

HI Russ this is were I will stay on topic.. 2 of my children nd their other are very close to me.. and that is about it.. would love to care for others but would worry that thier kids would rip us off.... I would want to take everybody but inreality my hubs and kids would be the only ones to work.....so we would be a small group.

off topic
    I have thought about greekislandgirl a lot.. greece is in terrible econmics times... God Bless U .... the US has not been nearly as bad.....
    we complain a lot but waste a lot...

during the great depression nothing was wasted everything had a use..... I would like to live closer to this mindset...
    would like to learn to make moonshine to barter for things there will always be a need or want for booze....
    would like to learn to garden and can...

hubs wants a gun I would like a cross bow/machettes/ baseball bats.. I know if The sh** hit the fan I would be broke into people watch me bring groceries in... I stockpile not enough..
    but someone would always want what someone else has....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The day they take my food, guns and ammo, that is the day I will leave this country!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Niko, looks like the whole "raid on the Mormons" was a hoax.

Did Federal Agents Raid a Mormon Food Storage Facility? | TheBlaze.com

It does appear that local officials made some door-to-door interviews, but it wasn't the Feebs.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by annymoll View Post
    My husband bought a cross bow recently and they are amazing.I have a harder time with a compound bow. At the same time he bought me a wrist rocket and I try to practice every day.Even a small rock can become a weapon.We are in a very rural area and our neighbors do the same.I don't know anyone in our community who does not own a gun( most own many, many) for hunting and protection.
    Check on youtube for slingshot guns. They are way cool! Use ball bearings that will go through boards (definitely good for breaking kneecaps) and are quiet unless the person you hit screams in agony.
    There's a guy that has plans for all kinds of slingshot weapons and they all have triggers, made out of wood and exercise elastic. Can be taken apart and put together again. Don't require a license. Can be manufactured in bulk for barter and stockpile. Good little inexpensive protection mechanism.

As for letting people in. My roommate and I already discussed it. His brother and girlfriend, he and myself. That's it! Between our two places we have enough resources to fend for ourselves.

He has other siblings and so do I. They grew up differently with different lifestyles and attitudes. We don't trust them and they don't like us. They like living the high-life while we sacrifice our time, energy and resources getting ready.

And, since there are approximately 10 states now working on an alternate currency and Bernanke is threatening to destroy the dollar if there is an audit of the FedReserve...I'm thinkin' that somethin' is going to bust sooner than later and when it does, it'll bust big time.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    Well, that depends! If you have a wood cook stove, you don't have to eat cold, uncooked food. If you have a septic system and gravity water, you can use your bathroom toilet.

I can't help but think that if just one person had carried a gun when that horrible shooting happened in Norway (wasn't it?) all those deaths could have been prevented. As it was, they had no defense when the man opened fire on the group.
    Any woodburning stove will work. But so will standing pilot propane stoves! I just bought one for our summer kitchen. Ran me $300. and just in time too.

They just passed a law on standing pilot stoves. They have to have some kind of electronic ignition so if they don't have cords they are required to have batteries. Electronic ignition means the oven won't work without electricity. You can still light the top with matches though.

You can cook just about everyday for a month on less than a 20lb. tank of propane and that include baking. Usually lasts at least a month and ahalf.

If you combine that with solar or woodburning (woodburning can get hot during the summer and so does canning; hence, the summer kitchen) you can pretty well stock up and be prepared.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    Just got done washing the dishes. After reading this thread I think I will allow myself to invest in some cast iron. Thinking a skillet and dutch oven. Why? Will be a good investment, added benefit of getting more iron, can be used if taken care of well for the rest of my life, and if the SHTF would have something to cook with over a fire. Not sure how long my stainless steel would last if used over a fire if it was a long term situation.
    Cast iron skillets are good weapons! I know, I've had to use one once. Saved my life!

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've thought of several different scenerioes and what we might do. My first choice is the stay where we are. I've worked for a lot of years to reduce our conventional energy needs at our house and build a 3 season garden. We live in a wonderful blue-collar neighborhood, which if you walk around it you can see a lot of others with like-minded approaches. We just don't sit out in the middle of the street and discuss. I know based on past weather issues (hurricane, major snowstorm and several ice storms) that our neighborhood works well together. We have a lot of different skills to share and already barter small-scale.

As far as who we would take in; our house is small so we can't take in many. But, I would love to figure out how to get my mom and step-father here from 3 hours away. We could make room for them and it would be better than where they are.

If we had to leave it would depend on the situation where we would go. We have family on the coast and IL's have a summer home in the mountains. But each of those have their pros & cons. Locally my IL have 5+ acres on the watershed of a local lake. They have a larger house and can take in most of the family. Each of these places can be made to work in a crisis, but in all cases we would be starting from scratch.

Based on the current economic situation I am most comfortable where I am. We have supported our neighbors and they us through work-share and bartering over the last few years. We live close enough to walk/bike to the center of our small town where several local farms bring in their produce and other fresh goods. There are options for fresh, treatable water. We would work along with others, but I am very limited in whom we would 'take-in'. Thankfully, most of DHs family are somewhat self-efficient and skilled to take care of themselves. We really need to only worry about my Mom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    Just got done washing the dishes. After reading this thread I think I will allow myself to invest in some cast iron. Thinking a skillet and dutch oven. Why? Will be a good investment, added benefit of getting more iron, can be used if taken care of well for the rest of my life, and if the SHTF would have something to cook with over a fire. Not sure how long my stainless steel would last if used over a fire if it was a long term situation.
    I have had two cast iron skillets for years that I love. But I only recently found a cast iron Dutch oven at a thrift store, after looking for a couple of years. That thing is wonderful, even using it normally. One of the first things I did was bake bread in it.

As far as cooking over a fire, I have an older Girl Scout publication for outdoor cooking that is a wonderful resource. Explanations for cooking over a fire, using coals and how to build rocket stoves & solar ovens. It is also full of recipes. Old Girl Scout and Boy Scout manuals are something I would suggest adding to a home library. Ideas so easy even a kid can do them

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsgirl View Post
    Any woodburning stove will work. But so will standing pilot propane stoves! I just bought one for our summer kitchen. Ran me $300. and just in time too.

They just passed a law on standing pilot stoves. They have to have some kind of electronic ignition so if they don't have cords they are required to have batteries. Electronic ignition means the oven won't work without electricity. You can still light the top with matches though.

You can cook just about everyday for a month on less than a 20lb. tank of propane and that include baking. Usually lasts at least a month and ahalf.

If you combine that with solar or woodburning (woodburning can get hot during the summer and so does canning; hence, the summer kitchen) you can pretty well stock up and be prepared.

Backwoodsgirl
    Interesting about that stove law. We cook with propane but also have the wood stove in the basement for emergencies. Our propane stoves both have electronic ignition but we can light the burners without it; not the ovens though. I grew up living with my grandparents and she never had an electric stove until I was about 16, so I know about hot kitchens in the summer..lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    Interesting about that stove law. We cook with propane but also have the wood stove in the basement for emergencies. Our propane stoves both have electronic ignition but we can light the burners without it; not the ovens though. I grew up living with my grandparents and she never had an electric stove until I was about 16, so I know about hot kitchens in the summer..lol!
    I was just thinking to myself that depending on the SHTF scenario, propane isn't necessarily going to be available for purchase, or produced. Guess I could make a fire pit in the backyard for cooking. I guess it all really depends on what grand scale of SHTF one wants to prepare for. I am thinking some wilderness skills are in order for me. Meh!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wilderness skills will serve you when all else fails. If everybody had those skills, we wouldn't have to worry near as much about SHTF!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, wilderness skills, or just about any kind of old fashioned every day skills would be helpful. If the majority of young women just knew how to cook from scratch it would be helpful. Even that, was almost a lost art amond some of our young people. Two income families and no Home Economics classes at school sort of messed with the "pass it on to the next generation" that some of us grew up with.

As for propane, it's so cheap it can be stocked up on easily. Like I said, a 20lb. tank used to last me over a month with cooking and baking every day.

If all I used it for was for baking or canning after the SHTF, then a couple of 60lb. tanks would last for years.

I'm also wondering if methane would work.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsgirl View Post
    As for propane, it's so cheap it can be stocked up on easily. Like I said, a 20lb. tank used to last me over a month with cooking and baking every day. If all I used it for was for baking or canning after the SHTF, then a couple of 60lb. tanks would last for years.
    I don't know what you are paying for propane, but I don't think it's cheap in our area. We used to use it for heating our house. We made the decision to go with a outside wood boiler. Wood costs us $ 700 or less for heat. Propane would cost us close to $ 2000 for a heating season. The OWB also heats our hot water, in the winter. In the spring, when we turn the OWB off, we then switch the hot water tank back on to the electric at the breaker box.

The small 20 pound propane tanks we use on the barbeque grill. We catch propane on sale in the summer. Last year, it was $ 10 per tank, on a tuesday promotion at one business.
    We have two 100 pound tanks that we use for the kitchen stove. One on the system and one in storage. We just switched the tanks yesterday. I do track our usuage and this last tank lasted us 8 months. Normal price to get it filled is over $70. We got it filled at the one business for $ 50 last summer, because we did it on a tueday at the promotion rate. So even though, we like to keep our second tank filled asap, I am going to watch for that promo again, and then get that big tank filled. One hundred pounders have to be transported standing up when filled. This is the biggest size tank, legally,that can be moved on a truck, when filled by a homeowner. A hundred pound tank equals approximately 23 gallons, btw.

Backwoodsgirl.......I sure would like to know how to get a couple of 60 pound tanks to last for years. I don't understand your math, unless you meant months instead of years. Doing the math, a 60 pound size tank would be about 5 months for this household under normal usage. I do a lot of scratch cooking, and I do a decent amount of canning.

I don't know anything about methane for cooking. I saw a vintage kitchen stove the other day in mint condition that has 3 burners, and a oven and its fuel source is kerosene. He showed us the inside of it and told us how it works. I was REAL impressed with that stove. The guy wanted to trade it to a Amish family, for labor to finish the inside of his garage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    I don't know what you are paying for propane, but I don't think it's cheap in our area. We used to use it for heating our house. We made the decision to go with a outside wood boiler. Wood costs us $ 700 or less for heat. Propane would cost us close to $ 2000 for a heating season. The OWB also heats our hot water, in the winter. In the spring, when we turn the OWB off, we then switch the hot water tank back on to the electric at the breaker box.

The small 20 pound propane tanks we use on the barbeque grill. We catch propane on sale in the summer. Last year, it was $ 10 per tank, on a tuesday promotion at one business.
    We have two 100 pound tanks that we use for the kitchen stove. One on the system and one in storage. We just switched the tanks yesterday. I do track our usuage and this last tank lasted us 8 months. Normal price to get it filled is over $70. We got it filled at the one business for $ 50 last summer, because we did it on a tueday at the promotion rate. So even though, we like to keep our second tank filled asap, I am going to watch for that promo again, and then get that big tank filled. One hundred pounders have to be transported standing up when filled. This is the biggest size tank, legally,that can be moved on a truck, when filled by a homeowner. A hundred pound tank equals approximately 23 gallons, btw.

Backwoodsgirl.......I sure would like to know how to get a couple of 60 pound tanks to last for years. I don't understand your math, unless you meant months instead of years. Doing the math, a 60 pound size tank would be about 5 months for this household under normal usage. I do a lot of scratch cooking, and I do a decent amount of canning.

I don't know anything about methane for cooking. I saw a vintage kitchen stove the other day in mint condition that has 3 burners, and a oven and its fuel source is kerosene. He showed us the inside of it and told us how it works. I was REAL impressed with that stove. The guy wanted to trade it to a Amish family, for labor to finish the inside of his garage.
    If all I used it for was for canning and baking, then yes, it would last a long time. In a SHTF situation, I wouldn't be using it for every day cooking.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567