Which scenario? - Page 2

Poll: Which Scenario?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which scenario?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I picked 3 reasons:
    Inflation, financial breakdown and yes Zombie apocalypse. I am not thinking actual Zombies, but outbreak of a disease, chemical warfare/nuclear etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hyperinflation and world wide financial breakdown.

They are trying to bust the dollar and the UN has been pushing for a world currency so they have to destroy the dollar to force us to accept it.

The hyperinflation that I am preparing for sort of runs like what happened in Zimbabwe

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQCCDttLhA4&feature=related]Hyperinflation Nation Part 2/3 - YouTube[/ame]

Our nation is pretty much doing the same thing...

Go into debt
    Borrow Money
    Can't pay
    Print money
    Devalues currency
    Need more money to pay debt
    Borrow more money
    Value of money worth less
    Print more money
    Devalues currency again
    Still can't pay debt

It's a vicious cycle and inflationnation.us does a fine job of explaining it.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't say that I'm doing anything different than I was 10 years ago, and that is stockpiling foods during a sale when the coupons coincide with it all. I do it so that I probably won't have to pay full price for something I could run out of in between that event. So I picked ~higher prices~, ~half-hearted stockpiling~, and, ~none, not really prepping~.

Theresa

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm preparing for higher prices through inflation, scarcity, and tax increases; and for the breakdown in social institutions in Greece which could include Dh losing his job (public education). I checked 'higher prices' and 'job loss'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some people are actually prepping for the end of the world, why

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I voted 1/2 hearted stockpiling. We always stock pile not for any particular scenario.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are a lot of reasons I do what I do, only slightly related to the reasons stated above. I do foresee massive inflation, maybe not hyper-inflation, in the world's future. 7+ billion population and limited resources, something has to give. But, I started on my journey before the recession was on anyone's radar. I don't really stockpile unless I find something rock bottom like the .75/cans of pumpkin I found yesterday. Instead I spend my time learning how to do things for myself; gardening, cooking, sewing, and home repairs. I try to find ways to use less electricity to save money, also because it is better for all of us to use less and I won't be too fearful if we ever should lose electricity. Lastly, I work at building a community in my neighborhood. There are lots of skills among neighbors that will be priceless in any SHTF scenario.

edited to add:
    My major reason is probably that I DON'T WANT to be dependent on major corporations, stock market, banks to determine how I will live my life.
    Last edited by warramra; 03-14-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: wanted to add

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the poll Russ!

My biggest concern right now remains the economy. There are many who are trying to make us believe that things are getting better. My personal opinion is that things are not getting any better and I don't see them getting better any time soon. In fact, I see things getting worse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I chose economic breakdown and zombie apocalypse ~ not because I believe zombies are coming, but I do believe a pandemic outbreak is a possibility.

The number one thing we're prepping for was not listed: a HUGE earthquake that would cut our small town off from the rest of civilization. I live on a peninsula, accessed mainly via bridges or ferries.

The PNW is due (like 100 years over due, actually) for a mega huge earthquake. If it hits, it's likely that we will be so isolated that it could be MONTHS before our grocery stores are stocked again. Gas stations would be over run, etc, etc....

The second thing we're prepping for is a major power outage (our area is notorious for them. Longest one so far is 5 days for us, friends have gone as long as 10). Yes, we could still go to the grocery store, but when the weather is like that, it's better for us to just hunker down at home.....

THEN, we're prepping for the economic meltdown or the zombies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I chose "half hearted". I am a wannabe prepper. I want our butts covered if the earthquake does hit or if there is a 100 yr flood again or if there is another Columbus Day storm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If your house is hit by an earthquake or flood, is it likely to still be standing afterwards and/or will the food be accessible and dry?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our house wasn't hit by the 100 yr flood. It was one of the reasons we chose this house to purchase. But, the roads were impassable and people were trapped for a few weeks.

As for an earthquake, it depends on where it hits if the house will still be standing. The West Hills in Portland are on a fault line. That is a "pray to your personal Deity" and hope for the best sort of situation.

Volcanoes are also an issue around here. Mt Hood and Mt St Helens are both volcanoes. So far, all is well. But, they could change their minds at any point and decide that they want to erupt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As zakity mentioned, whether or not your house remains after an earthquake is a crap shoot. It's likely that we'll still be standing and habitable, but as with all things in life there are no guarantees. But right now, that's our most likely scenario that we would need to prep for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unless our food floats away (we aren't in a flood zone, though), it will be dry. It's all airtight in mylar bags, then stored in 5 gallon buckets with gama sealed lids. (color coded and labeled, because we're a little OCD like that )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We prep for natural, but relatively short term disasters - snow/ice storms in the winter. . . tornadoes and flooding in the summers.

That wasn't an option in the poll.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast