Which scenario? - Page 3

Poll: Which Scenario?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which scenario?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Voted the first 3. We, personally, are FAR from out of this yet. We still don't know what's going to happen.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

I've been working on becoming more and more self-sufficient for the last several years. I always make mistakes (not usually the same ones in back to back years, though), and am never perfect (ie. will run out of sauerkraut in May this year, pooh!)
    Rate of inflation increases + income remains the same = challenge getting best bang for buck and creative solutions to problems.

I also chose top 3. Although I also believe our fragile system to be at high risk of pandemic.

Zombies - seriously?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hyper inflation can be 100% per day. Prices go up so fast that prices are not marked on goods. What cost $1 when you picked it up may be $1.50 by the time you get to the register or what was a $1 at opening might be $5 by closing. That's extreme but has happened.

I can recall when bread was 25¢ a loaf. Then there was a wheat shortage and suddenly it was $1 a loaf. The bad thing is when the wheat shortage went away the price did not go down. Once a vender realizes people will pay the inflated price they have no incentive to reduce it!

Even without hyper inflation we are looking at another round of inflation because everything comes to us with gas. The suppliers will have to increase their prices to cover their increase in transportation costs which means we're going to be paying more for everything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Anna43 View Post
    Hyper inflation can be 100% per day. Prices go up so fast that prices are not marked on goods. What cost $1 when you picked it up may be $1.50 by the time you get to the register or what was a $1 at opening might be $5 by closing. That's extreme but has happened.

I can recall when bread was 25¢ a loaf. Then there was a wheat shortage and suddenly it was $1 a loaf. The bad thing is when the wheat shortage went away the price did not go down. Once a vender realizes people will pay the inflated price they have no incentive to reduce it!

Even without hyper inflation we are looking at another round of inflation because everything comes to us with gas. The suppliers will have to increase their prices to cover their increase in transportation costs which means we're going to be paying more for everything.
    This is so true... I remember reading at some point about hyperinflation in Hungary where prices went up by a quatrillion or something. They kept chopping zeroes off but it's basically a logarithmic increase.

Even here in Greece we haven't seen anything like that - the worst so far is in food prices which have gone up around 30-40% over the course of 2 years. Still, when you consider the wages have gone down around 30-50%, if you combine the two, it's like 60% inflation in real terms. Still, that's not 'hyper' inflation but it's plenty to put people who were 'middle class' before over the line into 'poor'.

I think food and gas inflation are a real threat to everyday quality of life. That's the main reason I stockpile - so I don't have to be at the mercy of the prices so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you forgot one - "all of the above" although I suppose one could choose all but "not preparing for anything".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauk View Post
    Unless our food floats away (we aren't in a flood zone, though), it will be dry. It's all airtight in mylar bags, then stored in 5 gallon buckets with gama sealed lids. (color coded and labeled, because we're a little OCD like that )
    If you have any heavy buckets, you might want to tie little life preservers to the handles so that they float, LOL! Oh, and stock up on anchors.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Anna43 View Post

Yeppers! And I also remember when you could buy a soda in a glass bottle for I think it was 7 cents? I don't know. It was a long time ago, but I remember cashing in empty bottles to buy a soda. We were poor (although we owned our own house, back then even poor people could buy a home and it wasn't a mobile home, but a real house) and I could still afford to buy candy because it was 1 cent.

I used to get powdered milk in these huge boxes that would last several months for like $8.99. That was about 10 years ago. Now the little boxes are that price and the big boxes have dissappeared off the radar.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NicJean View Post
    I've been working on becoming more and more self-sufficient for the last several years. I always make mistakes (not usually the same ones in back to back years, though), and am never perfect (ie. will run out of sauerkraut in May this year, pooh!)
    Rate of inflation increases + income remains the same = challenge getting best bang for buck and creative solutions to problems.

I also chose top 3. Although I also believe our fragile system to be at high risk of pandemic.

Zombies - seriously?
    Could learn to make your own sauerkraut and can it. Then you would never have to buy it again. Cabbage is pretty cheap compared to some other stuff.

Backwoodsgirl

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123