Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Which scenario?

Just curious..

Which scenario are you preparing for?
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It let me mark more than one so i marked all 3 that we prep for!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I set it up that way because I thought some woul have more than one reason.

But I hope nobody votes for all just because they can.
    ~Russ

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I voted hyper inflation. It is one of the few scenarios that would keep me in one place the longest. Maybe not my current home but the others would most likely have me needing to be more mobile and not able to carry all my stockpile with me. Like I won't be able to take my garden with me if I have to out run the Zombies or wild gangs.

I live in hurricane country and in reality it could all be blown away. I could not pack it all up and still have room for my family if we have to evacuate. I can bring some but not the bulk of it. I am doing what I can to be prepared but seeing some of the realities of a large full on melt down I am not prepared for that and don't know if I will ever be ready for that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't buy into all the gloom and doom so I just do the usual buying ahead. I don't really consider that stockpiling, although I suppose it is. I buy enough to get to the next sale. We could probably get by at least a couple of months on what's in the house. It's harder to stockpile when we use so much fresh produce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The older we get I feel we are a bigger target for job loss. So I stockpile lots of things other than food.
    I am excellerating out house payments as we are in the final stretch but still couldn't make the payments on unemployment.

As far as hyper-inflation well I just think of supply and demand. W/ so many out of work there is less demand and ea. unit will cost buyers more. (insert simplistic explanation here).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I picked 3 as well, we do live in earthquake country so I've always prepared for that. I'm also very concerned about the economy and hyper-inflation!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well I only picked one and that was job loss... But I am also worried about hyper inflation and a world wide econmic crisis....
    I am not naive enough to believe that 1 thing is dependent on another.... The butterfly effect..

I also think in my childrens or future grandchildrens life we could have a world wide disease out break... I grew up in the 80's aids was unknown and it spread like wild fire... Thank God that we have learned how to treat it and how to prevent it...But naivity does not let me think that something can not happen.... do I plan 4 it...

No this is scenerio I do not think anyone can prepare for... but it does make me think about the bubonic (sp) plague.... polio, small pox... history repeats it self.

I think preppers will handle any crisis better than most.. If it ever happens God bless us all....

Russ I hope this stayed on topic and was what u wanted to know...no more drama.....
    Last edited by oheoh's momma; 03-12-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: for got

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was stockpiling because of higher prices hyper inflation so i voted for that then since i moved into a lot smaller apt.i have been just half hearted stockpiling so i voted for that one to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in transition, moving across several states, so I am not prepping right now but I want to begin this in the new house. I want to prepare for the "worldwide" type scenario and learn to get back to the basics. Someone mentioned "basic wilderness skills" on another posting and I think that's where I would like to start. I can make a fire! With matches. LOL! But seriously I want to start learning and doing some real basic survival skills. Thank you for this poll, I have been very interested in what others are actually preparing for, how wide-scale they are planning for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In our case, the only natural disaster we're likely to face is a wild fire. In that case, a huge stockpile wouldn't do us a bit of good and would end up just adding to our financial losses, should our house burn.

The other thing we would prep for is a job loss. In that case, we're better off to have the money rather than having all that money tied up in food. We can't pay a bill with food, but we can cut our grocery spending drastically to get by. I'd rather be stocking up money to carry us through a long-term job loss than food. However, my husband's job is about as secure as jobs get these days, and he's been there over twenty years which means he would have a whole bunch of other people he could bump to keep his job just based on seniority. Long-term disability is about the only real threat there.

Someone needs to define hyper inflation for me. We went through the seventies and eighties when inflation was spiraling up at a pretty good clip here, 20% annually or so IIRC. It was worse elsewhere in the world. All the chicken littles were carrying on then, too, but somehow the nation and the world survived and so did the populace. We had a low income back then and came through just fine, even bought a house with a 12% low-interest loan. So for me, stockpiling against inflation amounts to panic buying.

In case of a worldwide cataclysm, I don't think any amount of preparation can truly cover the aftermath of that.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post

Someone needs to define hyper inflation for me. We went through the seventies and eighties when inflation was spiraling up at a pretty good clip here, 20% annually or so IIRC. It was worse elsewhere in the world. All the chicken littles were carrying on then, too, but somehow the nation and the world survived and so did the populace. We had a low income back then and came through just fine, even bought a house with a 12% low-interest loan. So for me, stockpiling against inflation amounts to panic buying.

I think it's something like 100% over a 3 year period so you are pretty close.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I picked half-hearted stockpiling . I continue to shop sales with coupons and don't drive much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have two concerns. One is higher prices for items that we need for this household. So when I can, I stock ahead when I see deals.
    My other concern is he wants to retire in 2 yrs. Then we won't have health insurance. He plans on working for a farmer that he currently works part time for in the summer as a sub driver.
    So I am matching into your poll as a personal job loss, self inflicted, if that is what finally happens. His recent knee injury/surgery got me thinking even more than usual about the what ifs. You need to have a plan, and then work the plan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have always done a 'sort of' stockpile......but I guess I am thinking now about higher prices.

I try to be careful to not 'overbuy' on things that will just go bad before I can use them......so food stockpiling is somewhat limited. I could "eat well" for 6 mos. (my gardening helps that) and I "could eat" for probably a year..........hard telling what I would be eating at the end!!

If above scenario was needed the first thing I would do is start 'rationing' what I was eating so it would last.

I figure, at my age, major medical will get me before I starve to death!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast