were do I start to become more prepared - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can your son take care of everything but the cooking with the animal idea? I know how you feel. I know if I couldn't buy meat in a tidy plastic package, I'd be a vegetarian. Hypocritical of me I suppose, but there you have it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Polly I sure hope things turn around for you soon! I hate to hear that things are going so bad for you and your family.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like meat in nice pretty packages too. Says a lot about me I guess.

My boys being involved with any livestock would be a recipe for disaster I fear. They'd get attached, they'd name them, you can't eat an animal you name. Another reason for small livestock, I can deal with small scale things. Not huge mucking of stalls and all.

Truth is most of this, the garden and any animals will fall on my shoulders. Guys are not around enough really. My youngest can help me with the garden some this year, he's been told. Besides, I'm not sure we are grasping the severity of the food shortage around here since no one has gone hungry yet. We have a bill budget, I have a household budget, the two are VERY separate from each other. So no borrowing from one to make up and difference. That means DH does not feel it or see it in our bill budget. So far I've managed to make things work by couponing for free items, and shopping at food thrift. But the coupons are not what they were, food thrift prices have gone crazy (???????) and the regular food stores and things I need for my household stores, thrifts have all risen their prices. My budget was tiny to start with, all that made going hungry not a question of if, but when. So I cut out all paper products, and that brought the budget down enough to not be concerned about going hungry. However, prices continue to rise.......I don't think my guys understand how imperative their cooperation is going to be. Maybe I need to hold a family meeting complete with a pie charts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Mr Fixit

I don't think we are different than a lot of others out there. I know there are many here that are really up against things. We've got land, that opens a whole world of options to us that a lot of people don't have. We'll make it, no laying down and dying here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry O's Mom, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Back to regularly scheduled programming/posting

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Polly is there any work at all some of " the guys " can do? If I was your husband, would work at Mc Donalds if I had to to help you out. I dont know your situation but just asking!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Polly, I think the family discussion would be great, and visual aids would help.

For the protein your son needs, can he use things like eggs and tuna that are less expensive than red meat? I don't know how old he is, but can he work and contribute to his own needs? When our family was really broke, all our kids had paper routes. We never asked them to, but they'd bring home groceries like milk sometimes and it did help.

Are you getting food stamps or any other assistance? None of my business and you don't have to answer, but if you aren't, you probably should apply.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mr Fixit my DH does work. My DH not busting his rear is not the problem, salary is.

Oldest works and contributes.

Both work like dogs.

SD, Youngest has to finish school first. He can not handle school and work too. He goes to school in the Summer too, he will until he graduates at 21 so he can get all the credits he needs to graduate. He was very sick years ago and as a result is years behind his classmates. But God love him, he's out scrapping everything he can get his hands on. He does yard work for Mom-Mom, helps Pop-Pop in the garden. He does what he can.

And Holy No, no food stamps, no assistance. That's for people who just CAN'T make it. We might have to bust our @sses, but we are going to make it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like you have a great family in spite of your hardships. I have no doubt you'll all make it through.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aww Thanks Spirit Deer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Mr Fixit my DH does work. My DH not busting his rear is not the problem, salary is.

Oldest works and contributes.

Both work like dogs.

SD, Youngest has to finish school first. He can not handle school and work too. He goes to school in the Summer too, he will until he graduates at 21 so he can get all the credits he needs to graduate. He was very sick years ago and as a result is years behind his classmates. But God love him, he's out scrapping everything he can get his hands on. He does yard work for Mom-Mom, helps Pop-Pop in the garden. He does what he can.

And Holy No, no food stamps, no assistance. That's for people who just CAN'T make it. We might have to bust our @sses, but we are going to make it.
    Well Polly it looks like you guys are all doing your share, and I have always thought that good hardworking people like you and your family, will eventually reep rewards for your effort. I hope those rewards come soon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    True SD *hanging head in shame* I wish I had been more thoughtful to the what if's like O's Mom here. I just had this idea that nothing could rock my husband's job sector for this long. Why worry other than having a "I'm laid off for a few months in the Winter stockpile"? Talk about stupid.

I have a sewing machine. I need to learn how to use it. It's on my list. At this point my new garden venture and canning is on the forefront. As far as clothing, I buy what I can but it's slim pickings out there. I look, I find a few things.

for you O's Mom, taking the bull by the horns and learning skills.
    For just running around the house and out in the yard, get a pattern that has drawstring shorts and pants. You can find fabric at Walmart for $1 a yd. sometimes. Other times, you can find solid colored sheets at the thrift stores. That's a lot of cheap fabric and if the only people that see you are the chickens, then who cares if they have store labels?

The same pattern for the pants and shorts can be used for summer clothes as well as winter pajama pants made out of flannel. Or try some patchwork. If your hubby's flannel shirts get worn out, salvage them and use some scraps to patchwork some flannel shorts or pants.

Also, since I lost so much weight, I can now buy larger sized clothing at thrift stores and cut it down for more than one item. Like sew a shirt or shorts and use the scraps for trim to make a matching outfit.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by oheoh's momma View Post
    I really started to think about this after 9/11.. Hubs and I were a new couple and not on the same page.. I lived in an area were therew as price gouging which Iknow is illegal but gas at every gas station in town was over 5 bucks a gallon..

I had a small stockpile and savings...the banks was closed in my town for 24 hrs no atm withdrawals....

It was a mini crisis here.... grocery stores were out of a few things..

It has long lasting impression on me.... I do stockpile food, basic hygene, cleaning, tp, pet foods....
    But how do I get to the next step we have a strip for a very small garden...grandma and hubs have a green thumb..Grandma can process food and is willing to teach me to can.... were do I start..what is the easiest to grow and process..

Hubs also wants a dehydrater to process food...

I want to learn to make homemade wine to keep...

am I on the right track.... suggestions please ... oh I am gonna dog ear this thread and maybe some on the depression....

thank u
    There was a guy on youtube that turned his entire front yard into raised beds. Talk about a lot of produce in a small area!

Vines are some of the easiest to produce in a small space. Try cukes, some squash (acorn, spaghetti, pumpkins), beans, Tall Telephone peas, watermelon, canteloupe all of these can grow up on a trellis. They produce a lot too. But tomatoes and peppers has to be about the easiest to produce even if you have hard clay soil.

Or, if you can plant corn, plant some beans and squash in the corn and let the beans use the corn for trellising.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had the same herbs growing in pots in front of my place. The woody type, oregano, sage, lavendar, etc., just keep on growing every year. They die in the fall and come back in the spring. Am always amazed. The chives I grow in a pot will keep on growing all year long if I keep the snow off it. Herbs can easily be dried and saved to use each year. It probably depends on where you live on how well you plants will do. The oregano and chives I started from seeds.

Start keeping an eye out for canning supplies at yardsales and thriftstores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

polly honey u didn't jack my thread..u asked all the questions I would have... My only comment is I am never goping to be debt free..... I am only paying mininum .....the future is more imporant to me than debt....

yes we made string beans and apples... thought about old tires for beds.. we live in city limits so know chickens.... but I am gonna learn to do more to make my family more sustainable...

Thank u Mr. fixit for the info about the beans.. we are not sure about guns but are thinking it over..we are not against them I have a fear of them... so we are getting baseball bats...

am going to learn how to can, preserve, dehydrate, make my own swiffers and other items to free the pocketbook for more long term things...I even want a wash board... for hard times..

thank u all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast