Dh wanted me to ask if anyone knows how to stabilize gas....
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Dh wanted me to ask if anyone knows how to stabilize gas....

haha....3 months ago i could not get him on board for preparing for a natural disaster now he is coming up with all the questions....He is like me....not really believing anything major is going to happen but it doesnt hurt to prepare....thanks for your help....also how long would gas keep without stabilizing it....the reason we ask is cause we have a generator and like dh said in a major disaster we would only use the genterator to pump out some water....we would not use it for every day purposes because we would soon run out....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is no set "expiration" date for gas. Basically - If you know gas will sit in your tank or a storage container for a couple months, then it's a wise move to buy some fuel system stabilizer and mix it in with the gasoline.

We fill gas cans at the beginning of hurricane season and put stabilizer in it. When hurricane season is over, we use the gas in our trucks and lawn equipment.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Exactly what Mary said.
    In addition, I would run the generator at least once a month with a load on it for 15-20 minutes.
    ~Russ

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We cycle through our gas about every six months or so. To my knowledge we do not use a stabilizer, but I'd have to ask DH to be sure (and he's out of the country today)...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Put Stabil in the gas. Use Seafoam in the genset so the carb doesn't get all gummed up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We routinely fill up gas cans. We have six of them. We fill our cars up from the gas cans and then go refill the cans when we go fill up the cars. We only run off about four cans, but in the winter, we fill up all six so we have extra gas around. We do it this way so that the gas is always cycled through and is relatively fresh. It is also really nice because we always have gas for the lawn mower or the chainsaw or whatever other piece of equipment that we are using.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    We routinely fill up gas cans. We have six of them. We fill our cars up from the gas cans and then go refill the cans when we go fill up the cars. We only run off about four cans, but in the winter, we fill up all six so we have extra gas around. We do it this way so that the gas is always cycled through and is relatively fresh. It is also really nice because we always have gas for the lawn mower or the chainsaw or whatever other piece of equipment that we are using.
    This is what we do also.Hubby found some metal 15 gallon containers that we fill up besides the smaller 5 gallon plastic "cans". We have one for gas and one for diesel for the bobcat. Handy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talked to Dh and yes, we do use Stabil ~ see how much I know? LOL!

He says otherwise, it will turn into corn syrup ~ I guess we could then eat it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are heavy duty stabilizers that will preserve gas for up to 3 years. It is a lot more expensive than Stabil, but it's good stuff. Some of the preppers websites sell it! I'll post a link when I get time!