How to set up go bag? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dislike putting any personal info of any kind online if I can avoid it.

I'm trying to minimize things because it seems like we'll either have time to take the trailer or else we will have to run screaming out the door.

But I'm trying to decide how to handle pet food. I think it needs to be rotated like meds. We wouldn't take much, but should have enough to last three days like the other stuff we'd be taking. I'm going to pack up some cat litter in each vehicle. It can also be used in winter for traction if need be, so it won't hurt to have some in each vehicle.

I'm also starting to think we need a third bag for pet stuff.

If I'm not careful, this is going to get out of control. Ideally, I'd like it so everything that needs to be carried to the vehicles aside from the pets themselves could easily be carried by one person in one trip. If it's going to turn into moving day, that's not going to cut it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Other than using thumbdrives there are many websites that you can use to keep copies of important documents. This way no matter what, you can have access to important documents without a thumbdrive.

Do your cell phones have e-mail access. If so you can e-mail yourself copies of important documents. See if your cell phone has a memo pad. Use it to list meds and medication amount. Make sure all your cell phones are up-to-date with important phone numbers.

Try packing some small duffel bags with underwear, pant, shirt, shoes, toothbrush, etc., anything that you do not need to worry about being in hot temps and keep the bags at all times in the car. This way there is less to worry about packing. Pack an extra cell phone charger in the bags. Just think of everything that could be packed in the car or truck and kept there at all times.

As far as meds are concerned you can purchase key chain fobs at the drugstore. They should be able to hold a one/two days worth of medications which will give you time to get to safety and time to get new medication. I have seen them at CVS. Just keep it attached to your keychain.

Really hope you do not need to evacuate but you are definately ahead of the game by thinking about everything you need ahead of time.

This thread has me thinking I better start getting documents downloaded.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Shoiji.

I would never send sensitive information via e mail to anywhere. There are all kinds of warnings about doing that, such as never sending your credit card number to anyone. So while I appreciate the thought, I don't think it's a good idea.

We don't have smart phones. No need for them.

I plan to make hard copies of pertinent things and have those copies in my little binder (including copies of all rabies certificates from our vet). I don't want to rely on any electronic means of data storage because those have proven unreliable to me in the past. I might still scan docs and put them on a flash drive though, as a back-up. But since I'm currently fighting tooth and nail with a corrupted flash drive containing all my writing for my job, I'm not willing to trust that method for the sole copies of our data. (Lucky for me and my publisher both, I make multiple copies of my work. I learned that one the hard way, years ago! Still frustrating though.) If we have time, we will grab our laptop but that's far down the priority list so it's likely in a grab-and-dash situation, we wouldn't have any means of reading a flash drive, and there's no guarantee someone else's computer would use the same formatting and such as ours does if we really needed to read a file. So hard copies just seem easier and more reliable.

I will look for the key fob medicine keepers. Brilliant idea, thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I concluded that, in addition to cat carriers, it's not a bad idea to have harnesses and leashes for all our kitties too. It's conceivable that we may not have space or something for all those crates. And as anyone who has tried it knows, it's not a pleasant experience to hold onto a cat who does not want to be held, especially if they're afraid and trying to escape. So I rounded up harnesses and luckily, I have enough for all of them. Some need to be made bigger so I've added that to my to-do list.

I also found a perfect pet go bag. It's brand new, bought at SA with retail tags still on it so it was cheap, and it's small but has a ton of pockets to organize things. So I'm happy about that. I had forgotten about it.

So I'm slowly getting things together, I guess. Authorities are already predicting a bad fire season here, so I'll feel better when we're more ready for it.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was wondering how things were going SD. I went to bed with you on my mind as our news said our entire area is red flagged for fires.

Great find on the pet go bag!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's a red flag warning for western Minnesota too. Our fire danger right now is rated at moderate.

Stay safe! And where are your go bags? Hmmmm?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just saw this thread - on the topic of carrying cash in luggage - are traveler's checks still around? I know there's a small fee associated with getting them, but AMEX or whoever you buy them from will replace them for free if they are lost or stolen. Honestly, I haven't used them in 20 years (shows you how often I vacation!), so I don't know whether they've come and gone, but that might be a nice option if you're concerned about your luggage getting stolen or caught in a fire.

This thread makes me think of my mom's advice, which was to carry $100 with you at all times for emergencies. I never, never carry that much with me (the most I have is $20 "mugger money" if I'm in the city), but there is probably wisdom in it in case of an emergency when a debit card wouldn't suffice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if there are still travelers checks or not anymore. I know they used to have an expiration date. They were also sort of a pain in that you had to keep track of the numbers of the ones you spent, and of course that list had to be kept separate from the checks so if the checks were lost you'd still have the list.

We're planning to have some cash for incidentals in each of our bags.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD- No, not packed. I really should be more prepared. I seriously hope we don't need to leave. We never have before. Hoping for some rain here. I honestly don't know anything more than we've been red flagged. I suppose I should be more on top of those kinds of things too. I know very little about forest/brush/woods fires and flag warnings. Just Smokey the bear stuff, not joking, that's the extent of my knowledge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have an online map showing current fire conditions for the entire state. Your state probably does too.

We're not as prepared as we should be either.

I do know if they told us to leave, we'd leave. We like our stuff but not enough to die for it. At which point we wouldn't need it anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, I'd leave. No question of it. We're insured.

As far as the advisory, just heard it on the local news last night. My DH knew about days ago, never said anything. I guess since it's never been a huge threat here we are less responsive than we should be. I'll check the news again tonight. My assumption is that it's due to lack of rain, rather than heated conditions since it's been rather brisk here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're in the woods here in the northeast part of the state, but the western side of Minnesota is prairie. They get a lot of wind out there and coupled with dry conditions, they can have bad grass fires.

The fire from last fall near here is still burning and probably will be for years, since it's in a peat bog. But I think it's contained now. At one time they had over a thousand firefighters from all over the US and Canada here last fall. The pictures are amazing. We weren't in too much danger in that one although a nearby town was. Still too close for comfort. It was really something watching that enormous smoke cloud blow up. The winds were terrible that day, and it was so dry up here. The smoke was causing air quality problems in Chicago. It was bad.
    [ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=pagami+fire+pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a]pagami fire pictures - Google Search[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made some progress today.

~I went through the phone book and other info and noted down important phone numbers and addresses.
    ~I bought a small address book and made a second copy of important numbers and addresses so each go bag will have a copy.
    ~I added a pre-paid calling card to each address book in case we don't have our cell phone along.
    ~I partially packed my bag.
    ~I bought a pair of jeans for the go bag.
    ~I peeled the labels off my empty prescription bottles, applied tape to the back, and put them with my important papers in the bag. That way, I'll have all the details handy in case I need them if we're away.
    ~I called the Forest Service to get phone numbers to call for info updates if we're outside the immediate area.
    ~I called my husband at work and got contact numbers from him for his supervisors and others he might need to contact.
    ~I found some canvas shoes in my closet I don't usually wear that pack nicely.

In addition, we have started keeping both cars at least half full of gas. That would enable us to get to the nearest town with a 24-hour gas station, fifty miles away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks SD, don't know how I missed this post back in March.

Interesting read............

And made me realize that I should have 'something' together......for any sort of emergency. I am not prepared at all.......except my dogs are kenneled if it is a night time thing.

As much as I grumbled about our winter, this made me realize that I am happy we have over 100% of our normal snow pack....and they are saying an "average" fire year.

I do hope you get it organized.........and then don't have to use it. Take care.......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I figure it's cheap insurance. Setting up the bags is going to cost next to nothing. Finding a good, convenient place to store them is going to be interesting though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast