Why no RVs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no RVs?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Why no RVs?

I keep wondering about this. People will spend thousands storing up food or whatever, just in case. But it doesn't seem like anyone talks about having an RV in case they have to evacuate in an emergency.

Even a very small, very basic pop up camper will offer beds and some storage for things like a basic kitchen setup, plus it can have things added like clothes and other necessities so the homeowner wouldn't have to spend time rounding up things like canned food or bottled water in an emergency. It can also offer a temporary shelter for people who won't leave their pets behind, in situations where the pets can't go into the public shelters.

A trailer requires very little maintenance and is inexpensive to license each year. Older, smaller, basic ones can be had for cheap, sometimes even for free.

So I'm just curious why more people don't talk about having an RV of some sort for the purpose of having a portable temporary shelter in emergencies where it's not prudent to stay at home. Isn't that also part of being prepared?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would guess the outlay of cash to buy one would deter most folks. Just guessing, but I based that on thinking that most that stockpile or prep do it over a period of months to a year.
    But, like you said, even a popup can be had for pretty cheap but maybe it's not the standard of living they're used to.

Good question, SD.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I keep wondering about this. People will spend thousands storing up food or whatever, just in case. But it doesn't seem like anyone talks about having an RV in case they have to evacuate in an emergency.

Even a very small, very basic pop up camper will offer beds and some storage for things like a basic kitchen setup, plus it can have things added like clothes and other necessities so the homeowner wouldn't have to spend time rounding up things like canned food or bottled water in an emergency. It can also offer a temporary shelter for people who won't leave their pets behind, in situations where the pets can't go into the public shelters.

A trailer requires very little maintenance and is inexpensive to license each year. Older, smaller, basic ones can be had for cheap, sometimes even for free.

So I'm just curious why more people don't talk about having an RV of some sort for the purpose of having a portable temporary shelter in emergencies where it's not prudent to stay at home. Isn't that also part of being prepared?
    Suspect many factors play in here.....not the least of which would be the "it won't happen to us" factor...and the others mostly related to money.

Trailer can be had for cheap? maybe in some areas.......but then there is the license...upkeep....storing when not in use.....and the 'tow factor'........Storing can become important and things age and rot.........while I am waiting to evacuate, as I wouldn't use it at other times...........at least not enough to justify the purchase.

I don't want a pop up camper for the 'just in case' scenario.....and if I had to evac. I would look a little funny trying to pull it down the road with a rope over my shoulder.........since I don't have a pick up, and my car towing capacity is very limited....not to mention that I have nothing attached to my car to tow with........

Guess, for me, it comes back to how I am willing to 'gamble' with the chances that I will have to evacuate and where I want to spend my money.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you done a poll to see how many people do have this plan in mind? Maybe people just aren't outspoken about it. Maybe someone doesn't want to broadcast it for fear of being considered "rich" or
    "unfrugal" for owning what many would consider a luxury. Not that you are necessarily using it for that (and whose business is it anyway if you are) but I know my family had it thrown in their face many times that they could afford an item like that. My parents worked VERY hard to have the things we had, and they were always purchased with cash and second-hand but we were still judged.

So just a thought, do an anonymous poll asking if people have or would consider having one for the purpose of survival. Maybe a lot of people would also reply "I don't but I would love to!" and then start their plan to achieve one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Getting one has been in the fire for a while, but we never can find the money for one.

Being the only female in a household of males, I keep threatening to buy one so I can live in it. I keep going on about having my own toilet that no one pees on, the only messes would be my own, etc. I also joke around about putting a sign on the door stating "no boys allowed". And, if I did start living out in it, I keep threatening to paint the Greek symbols "Lambda, Lambda, Lambda" on the side of the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

IMO, the standard of living in a pop up is still higher than the standard of living in a shelter, and you can have your pets with you in your own trailer, plus have a place to prep your own meals, have privacy, keep your stuff, etc.

The tow vehicle would be a sticking point for many, I'm sure. Most cars have a tow limit of around 1,000 pounds, and it's hard to stay under that with even a small pop up although it can be done. Ultralights that can be towed by motorcycles would be expensive, although we could have bought one a while back for about $700 that set up in under a minute. Many pop ups can easily be towed with a mini van.

I don't think anyone would be accused of being 'rich' if they owned a cheap pop up! My parents worked hard too and we did without a lot, but I don't recall anyone ever judging us for what we bought. We did a lot of stuff on the cheap, like the school bus my dad bought and turned into a motor home.

I wonder how many people have tenting gear in case of an emergency. That would remove a lot of issues about maintenance and GVWR for the tow vehicle and stuff.

Liability insurance is covered under the tow vehicle's policy. Licensing is very cheap, at least here. Storage can be an issue, if you don't have the space at home or don't want to store in the garage.

I'm just curious, given the money people spend preparing in other ways. It just seems like cheap insurance to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Zakity, if you and/or any of those males are handy, start looking at Craig's List or other places. They can be hard to come by, but I've known people who have bought fixers for as little as $50. Someone on our camping forum even got one for free on Freecycle just by asking. Someone else bought one from Goodwill for $300. It had broken lifter cables, which are fairly easy and cheap to fix. When he opened it up, it was like new inside.

Naturally, if you want a newer one in perfect shape with all the bells and whistles, the cost is more. But for a basic shelter, if you're patient you should be able to find something quite reasonable. I do think there's a lot of luck involved in it though, too! You have to be in the right place at the right time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! The husband and one of the guys are handy.

But, it is purely a lack of funds thing. We thought we might have the money this year and then the roof leaked and the funds will be diverted to replacing the roof. Last year, the funds were diverted to paying for one of the guys' high school (private correspondence).

If we run across one cheap enough and with doable fixes, then we might use EF money. And, part of the problem is finding one that fits our parameters (sleeps 5, low tow weight, etc). We have looked at a few and the ones in the price range we were going for had more issues than DH wanted to fix.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A couple of things come to mind. 1. we'd have to get a vehicle that could pull the thing, or have a tow hook put on one of the cars. 2. we'd have to pay to store it, as we can't keep it in our yard here in the city. 3. if it was stored it would not be easy to get to in an emergency.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD a lot of people are doing this, but what they do is buy a remote piece of land, and they get an ole cheap travel trailer, or trailer house, and they leave it there. Their reasoning is that if SHTF, they do not want to tow a trailer through possible mass chaotic traffic. And most true preppers don't tell anybody what they have and where it is.
    An age old prepper trick is to build an underground shelter, and put a large trailer house on top of it. When the SHTF you burn the trailer house, and when looters and robbers see the place, it's like, well theres nothng there but an old burnt trailor house and they just keep on going. A lot of good reasoning to that!
    But you will never hear them say that on the internet.
    A true hard core prepper would probably never post even as much as how much food they are buying for the day the SHTF because they are paranoid of the internet.
    But I guarantee you there are a lot of trailers out there in the bug out locations because they are cheap, and like you said, a heck of lot more comfortable than a tent or debris hut.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the tent idea as prepping. I have a van with towing ability but it will be forever before I can afford a trailer. New house would have parking ability at least for one if I did get one.

I know in our current neighborhood you cannot have a trailer or motorhome on the street for more than one week. (HOA) Our neighbors got heckled for that one, they were so frustrated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    I like the tent idea as prepping. I have a van with towing ability but it will be forever before I can afford a trailer. New house would have parking ability at least for one if I did get one.

I know in our current neighborhood you cannot have a trailer or motorhome on the street for more than one week. (HOA) Our neighbors got heckled for that one, they were so frustrated.
    Even a cheap tent is way better than nothing at all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

I say what Mr FixIt said in #10. I also have backups to my preps: a vehicle we could sleep in(if I can't get to where I need to go), tent, bug out bags with sleeping bags and pads rated for 40 below.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

An RV is a lg. moving target and the availability of gas is a factor. Not to mention the expense. It can't manuver quickly off road either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we are quite remote and this is where one would 'bug-out' to in an emergency. Our reason for leaving would be grass fire or home being destroyed my fire or tornado. We do have a rv that we would use for such an emergency. We bought it to live in while we got the land ready for our house and have kept it for just-in-case...
    Terry

Jan grocery /275.00

YTD grocery

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast