Emergency foods..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Emergency foods..

Not sure if this has been asked or not, but what foods-dinners, breakfasts and such can you make with little to no heat and or water? Just curious to see what you all can come up with. I am still in the thinking stages.... Thanks for your input!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shelf stable: jerky (beef, turkey), tuna/chicken/ham salad already made in the can (store bought), any commercially canned meal because it already has its own liquid and it only needs to be heated up.

Count as "water" the liquids in canned fruit and vegetables. Breakfast is shelf-stable granola bars and dried fruits (gorp).

We lived in California when they were going through a severe multi-year drought. I got really good about cooking meals that didn't need water (no boiled potatoes, no rice, no pasta). OMG, when the drought ended and I got to make mashed potatoes for the first time. Pouring that water down the drain felt so decadent!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have always had several meal in the freezer at all times...We lived in the country where the electic was often out winter and summer..We had a wood stove for heat in the winter and I learned at a young age to use the grill..As a child my parents was farmers and I learned to cook things over an open fire in the summer when we was in the field...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are lots of alternative ways to cook.

Grills have been mentioned, for one. Practice cooking and baking in a charcoal or gas grill till you are proficient.

Camp stoves aren't very expensive, and if you have one on hand with a supply of one-pound LP cylinders to fuel it, that opens a lot of possibilities rather than eating everything cold. There may be times when you need to boil water to purify it, or when a bowl of hot soup or a hot beverage could be needed, too, so it's a good item to have on hand for a variety of reasons.

Dutch oven cooking over coals, either wood coals, lump charcoal, or regular charcoal, also opens a world of possibilities for cooking.

If you have a fireplace, you may be able to cook in that.

For any of these methods, practice using them so you know what to do in an emergency.

I know that wasn't your question, but since you mentioned being in the thinking stage, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I realized pretty much everything I do needs to be heated, so I keep a camp stove with extra fuel around. I also picked up a case of vegetarian MREs with heaters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bread loaves: bread stuffed with pickles, fresh veggies, what have you. Easy to carry, uses stuff up, cheap (sometimes) and yummy. Can use canned beans, chili, cheese, salad dressing as well. Pita pockets. Basically any breadstuff you can wrap around other foods, including the pitas, tortillas, other flat breads or the stuffed bread loaves I started with.

Salads, green & fruit. Also 3 bean, from canned beans.

Stock + whatever frozen stuff, thawed. (Like a Japanese soup.) Cold potato/leek soup is a classic in the summer so is consumme -- both are available canned.

Salsa & chips, nachos with canned beans/cheese if you have any way to heat them. Bean burritos, tostadas, tacos, etc.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tuna and chicken salads immediately came to mind. Canned salmon. Cheese sandwiches, tomato sandwiches. Chocolate candy for energy source. Cold cereals can be eaten without milk or with canned milk. Spam - I'm a weird one that likes Spam - in sandwiches, with veggies, in salads. Some people eat hot dogs without cooking. I don't, but they are fully cooked, so they say.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a sterno stove. Dried "instant" foods cook up fairly quickly with a little water. Things like soup cups, oatmeal, rice, couscous, coffee, noodle bowls, hummus. The trick is to heat one serving at a time, the stove is tiny and does not work well if you're trying to do a gallon.

I also keep 'granola' bars on hand. We do not eat them on a daily basis, I just keep them for emergency use and for traveling (when we have to eat a cold breakfast in a hotel room or in the car).
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by momof42003 View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked or not, but what foods-dinners, breakfasts and such can you make with little to no heat and or water? Just curious to see what you all can come up with. I am still in the thinking stages.... Thanks for your input!
    Are you planning on an emergency with or without electric?

First I would get a small or portable gas stove for cooking and heating foods.

Heres my list:

Peanut butter
    Jelly if you have refrigeration...you can also get the fast food packets.
    Crackers
    Granola and breakfast bars
    Canned Foods:
    Veggies
    Chili
    Soups
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Beans
    Fruit

Bottled drinking water

Don't forget to store some treatsThis can make people much happier in a bad situation)
    Chocolate
    Candy
    Cookies
    Chips

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I suggest (my new passion) is food that you canned yourself..I 've made meatloaf,boneless skinless chicken breast,beef chunks in a wine sauce so far the meat part..I also water bathed my own canned coleslaw..My latest was canning my own apple sauce & blackberry jam...

Freezer meals are also great..I've made mashed potatoes just as if you were serving them for dinner and froze in ziploc containers..you can cook rice & pasta and freeze them also..

I've also made homemade bread pudding,strawberries that I picked sliced put in a sugar syrup and froze them..make & bake your biscuits flash freeze them on a cookie sheet put in freezer bag..for the whipped topping by the cool whip..

I've made chili,hamburger soup,swedish meatballs,clam chowder,meatballs ,chicken marsala,taco soup,pepper steak,lazy beef stew..cooked all & froze it.

You can also make up cookies and flash freeze them on a cookie sheet then put into a freezer bag..or just makeup dough and shape into log them wrap in freezer paper put in the freezer..

I make ambrosia that just consists of canned mix fruit & homemade whipped cream..mix all together and you have another great dessert.

I could go on & on..but heres some ideas..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have canned food so I can eat it cold or heat it in a solar cooker if I'm without electricity. I have canned chunks of beef, chunks of pork, pot roast, chili, kale sausage soup, chicken soup, ham and bean soup, pho soup broth, chicken on and off the bone.

If you have a solar cooker you can cook a lot of stuff. We made one out of a shiny auto sun shade that we bought off a clearance rack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

~ Peanut butter would be one of my go to foods of choice. My husband has told me for years that peanut butter DOES NOT go with everything but I tend to disagree and try to stay away from it to avoid being the size of a semi.

~ raw veggies

~ cheese, crackers, with pepperoni (or without the pepperoni) and with fruit and yogurt
    (This is a lunch/dinner me and the kids really enjoy anyway)

~ All the canned stuff previously mentioned but especially canned (or in the packs) tuna and chicken

~ smoothie with trail mix or just plain old nuts on the side for breakfast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a lot of experience with this but when the power has been out we have used the bbq grill to cook on. No reason a cast iron can can't sit on a burner to cook food. We also took the label of canned pastas , punched holes in the top of the can and heated them right in the can on the bbq grill. I really can't think of much I cook that couldnt be cooked, boiled etc on the grill in the can or in cast iron pans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a solar cooker, kerosene stove and the grill. I try to keep lots of dried cereal, oatmeal, pb, canned meat, pasta etc. The solar cooker can cook an awesome meal without much liquid added to it. This last summer was so hot/dry that we used that thing a lot. I do have some home canned foods such as jelly, potatoes, meat on hand. We also keep lots of water on hand as we have a water main break at least once a year. I get mixed reactions from people at work when they worry about us not having water for that day or so. We also keep some MRE's on hand in case the not water usage were to be more long term. Good luck with your planning it's a never ending process.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shelf stable milk,lots of water,peanut butter,honey,dried fruit,jerky,canned pastas,etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast