What to do????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What to do????

I am on about 7 medications but because of the type of meds they are I am only allowed a week at a time. So if there was an emergency I would not have any extra to get me through, if it was a long emergency I am afraid of my mental health crumbling. Does anyone else worry about this??? I often wonder if I would rise to the occasion to keep us going and protect my DD or if I would just crumble. I have been on Psychiatric meds for a long time.
    Has anyone read one second after and when they start to lock up the mental ill because they have run out of meds??? Yeah don't want that to be me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm...can't say that I've ever thought about that situation. I can certainly see where it would be extremely worrisome to you. I am wondering why you only receive a week's worth of medication at a time. I've always seen meds ordered on a 30 day basis except, perhaps, during the initial medication adjustment stage. I'm surprised your insurance would pay for only a weeks supply for ongoing or maintenance meds. Under my plan, the majority of medications are 30, 60, or 90 days.

This topic is certainly worth a discussion with the prescribing physician. I'll be interested to know what others say and what your doctor might recommend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yes. I have thought of this many times. To the point where I have skipped some to start accumulation. I understand this isnt an option for you.
    On utube there there are rather scary videos by a registered nurse regarding SHTF scenarios. They talk about not the initail crisis but the unfolding. People who are alzheimers patients,those physically incapable of taking care of themselves,drug addicts and alcoholics,people dependent on psychiatric drugs.
    And they talk about diabetics who are insulin dependent,heart patients,dialysis people. She talks about most people having a 30day margin. And then death. She talks about all the violence as people try to secure what they need. They talk about 30% of the population dying.
    Another factor she talks about is how people would die of things that havent plaqued us for years-hygiene related staff and strep infections,malnutrition,death from lack of simple medical care.
    If your brave enough,I'm pretty sure she's nurse nancy? go to utube SHTF and call up nurse nancy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As someone who is chronically ill, I worry about this a lot. Enough so that DH and I have actually discussed medication plans for me. Luckily, I've been able to build up a pretty good stockpile of the things that I would have to have, and some of my dailies could be cut back, I would just be pretty uncomfortable. I have non-diabetic pancreatic insufficiency (my pancreas does not make enough of an enzyme that your body uses to digest fat) - I could do without the medication that I take for this, and I did for years, but I would be very, very uncomfortable. On the other hand, I am a steroid-dependent asthmatic - super severe - so one attack without my rescue meds would be all it took to kill me, so we have a decent stockpile of inhalers and nebulizer meds. I also keep my epi-pens even after they expire - I always get new ones to carry with me, but there would still be at least some use in the expired ones, so they seem to be worth saving. If I need the epi, it pretty much means that I'm dying anyway, so if I didn't have any current ones, it certainly wouldn't hurt to use an expired one. I'd be no worse off than before...dead is dead.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    Hmmm...can't say that I've ever thought about that situation. I can certainly see where it would be extremely worrisome to you. I am wondering why you only receive a week's worth of medication at a time. I've always seen meds ordered on a 30 day basis except, perhaps, during the initial medication adjustment stage. I'm surprised your insurance would pay for only a weeks supply for ongoing or maintenance meds. Under my plan, the majority of medications are 30, 60, or 90 days.

This topic is certainly worth a discussion with the prescribing physician. I'll be interested to know what others say and what your doctor might recommend.
    Some psych meds are extremely strong drugs also ODing is very real possibility therefore some are only given a small dose at a time.
    Not saying this is the case with Rhiamon.

Rhi, I bet you would rise to the occasion and I bet your Dr. would find a way, make a plan to get you meds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No advice just HUGS!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs! DD and my mom both take antidepressants. DH & Mom take Synthroid. I have thought about this too!

I've watched the nurse on youtube. Very good info. I tell myself, there are things worse than death!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been very concerned about this for years. I've been on anti-psychotics for almost 14 years. They are heavily regulated, no matter the dose (my dose is very low). I am lucky to get a month's prescription at a time. If I want a 'vacation supply', I have to talk directly to the company according to the pharmacist.

This is causing me some concern. DH wants to sell the house, buy an RV, and travel the US when he retires. We're Canadian. That's fine for a short term 1-2 months visit, but he's talking about going for like a year! I am not sure that's even allowable under the border/whatever laws to be gone that long without a visa. It would be a nightmare trying to get my meds in the US. I have no idea how I'd even get them. From my understanding a Canadian prescription is no good in the US.

But from a SHTF preparedness viewpoint, I'm looking at a lot of naturopathic solutions and trying them out beforehand. As I find they work, I'll incorporate them into my short term storage. My goal is to get by with the least amount of meds and the lowest doses possible. So I try everything in my stress reduction arsenal to do that. There are more things I could do even yet, like take up something like T'ai Chi and meditation. Just haven't got around to them. Still, nothing stops the mental illness itself but the drug. So I don't know how I'd make do without it.

Right now I make sure to have extra big bottles of supplements on hand (3 months supply). They are cheaper to buy that way anyway. I am hoping to save up and buy some on sale by the case. Especially ones I know I'll use up before the expiry date anyways - like Vitamin D, Co Q 10, etc. If I can find a good deal on them, I'll buy them that way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is interesting and as I said, not anything I had ever thought of. For my own curiosity, have any of y'all ever talked with your doctors about how this would be handled if there was some catastrophe? If the psych meds can be prescribed only in very small doses, I would think it would be a question the prescriber had encountered before. I'm curious because in my line of work I can see that it might be a question posed to me and it would be nice to have an answer or suggestion rather than "I dunno."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SueBee, I do know the doctors have samples on hand for bad cases. But if you aren't bad (I'm not) then it's likely you won't have first dibs. It's not necessarily first come, first served. It's more like worst case first served, and you can't blame them for that.

I kind of ran into a mini-version of this problem when I was first put on my current med. It was brand new in Canada and in our province. Even though it had been in the US for 10 years. It was very scarce.

When I first went into the pharmacist to order it, they refused to do so, saying I was being used as a guinea pig. They effectively left me without medicine. I had to go back to the doctor, who gave me samples, and, after another altercation with the pharmacist, told me to switch to another pharmacy. I did.

Went in there and they wanted to know why they should order the medicine for me. I was the only person in their entire pharmacy practice on that medicine. I told them the doctor sent me to them and to call her and talk to her. Le sigh.

You wouldn't think someone who was psychotic would have to fight to get medication! That's not the normal stereotypical view of a psychotic individual! However, I am much more stable with the new medication and supplements (provided by the naturopath). It was worth the fight, but my! Most mental health patients would not have gone to the lengths I did to stay/go on medication...that's for sure! But I knew how bad it could be off medication, and that helped me stay on.

I'm off to watch Nurse Nancy to see what she has to say, and then, maybe a chat with my doctor when I see her next.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Because my medications are in very high doses, and I am on one narcotic they are trying out for complex PTSD, it works very well in bringing down hyper vigilance. Plus I have a child in the house so I still keep them locked away. But because of her unpredictable behavior we decided it was best to only get a week at a time. I was getting (some of them) monthly before but then some days I couldn't even remember if I took them, it is a week at a time.
    I have never even thought of bringing this question up to my Psychiatrist because I don't want them to think I am becoming paranoid or something. I guess though I will have to and let them know I am not being paranoid just really concerned if something happened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rhiamom, I agree. I just phoned my DSIS#1, a family physician, and put this question to her. She says the most you can get on most drugs is usually a 3 month supply, unless you're very stable. Even then the pharmacy carries the debt on anything after 3 months.

They can only carry 3 months supply, and if you want more, then they order it in, but can't get reimbursed by the government (this is Canada, so the rules will be different in the US) until that 3 month supply is gone. In other words, they get reimbursed every 3 months. She said it is "not a good idea" to ask the pharmacy to provide more than three months at a time.

When I asked specifically about anti-psychotics, she waffled a bit. I don't think she's sure as she doesn't prescribe those. They have to be prescribed by a psychiatrist. So the question does need to be put to a psychiatrist. I know I wouldn't mention it to mine for sure! She'd think I was being paranoid.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Given what you have going on with your dd right now, this is not something I would spend time and energy worrying about. There's only so much stress a person can take at one time and this not an immediate concern, imo. I'd worry about it later when you have less on your plate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have thought about this alot but try not to worry about it.....My meds need to be kept cold and I worry about if we have a hurricane and we lose power. (during Katrina we lost power for two weeks) Right now I am on vacation in another state and I have $6000 worth of meds in my refrig at home...I have someone house sitting and they know if the power goes off what to do with my meds....Keep Them Cold & I don't care how he does it, just keep it cold.......I also have stockpile drugs before due to change in insurance and, would you beleive, after 7 years I had to go off the drug and I had 6 months supply!!!!! These are not phych drugs but drugs I need in orer to function without pain & to walk. Hugs to all of you with this problem....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just wanted to add that if you are on anything that isn't 'mainstream' you may want to try to build up a supply as well, if you can.

I am again (second time in a year and a half) having trouble getting one of my drugs refilled. There is a shortage, and the pharmacy cannot currently reorder it. I have a little bit of a stockpile, since I have been working on this since last time, but not a lot. This is a 'have to have it' drug - it's typically used for patients with CF. I don't have CF, but my asthma is severe, and I need this medication. Sometimes my pulmonologist has ideas on places to try...I have an appointment with him tomorrow, so I'm hoping for good news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast