Have you added items to your stockpile or changed your ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Have you added items to your stockpile or changed your ideas?

Now that Hurricane Sandy has come and passed, have you added items to your stockpile or changed your ideas on what you want to stockpile or HOW you stockpile?

Some items to add ...

~ Bleach (I always keep one bottle on hand in case I need to purify water but I probably should have more)

~ Garbage bags, especially heavy duty ones

~ Medicines - I always keep some but I never really have enough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CookieLee View Post

~ Bleach (I always keep one bottle on hand in case I need to purify water but I probably should have more)

But one thing I realized from the postings here---and checked my supply.........I have no UNSCENTED bleach.........and that is what you want.

I will be correcting this.............have multiple jugs of bleach.............all scented!

The other thing, that I knew, but hadn't really given much thought to.............and will change my habits........small bills, small money denominations!!

It is a good thing that we don't have to 'prepare' for too much, very often, but always helps to have a good memory jolt for when I have to be ready!

And with the weather being so WEIRD, you never know............it is Nov. and we have been having 60 degree weather!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good question. I just purchased some bottles of baby food. Yup baby food. Why, well just one person here and I can heat some food in a fondue pot with votive candles. Baby food atleast I can eat a bottle and finish it in one meal. Also, I have many food allergies. If I get evacuated am pretty sure the food they will be serving will not be within my diet. So if I can pack some of my own food to either eat or supplement what is handed out that would be great. Also the baby food I purchased did not have a bunch of preservatives and additives in it that many canned foods can have. Also added some popcorn chips. Figure they would go well with the sardines or canned salmon.

So for now:

More baby food
    smaller cans of salmon or tuna

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nope. The only natural disasters we're likely to have would most likely destroy our house, so in that case, the less stuff we have stockpiled, the better because it's less money to lose when it all gets trashed.

Luckily, we have some of the most stable weather in the country so there's a lot we don't have to prep for. If there is a wildfire, we would be evacuating and leaving behind anything we had stockpiled. We would take only our pets, go bags, both cars, and if there's time to hitch up, our camper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No economic disasters? No job loss? No long term illness or injury? No power failures / electricity interruptions? One preps for more than just a natural disaster.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have learned something and altered/updated/changed my emergency preparedness plan after each hurricane we have had to deal with. My stockpile is always changing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now that Hurricane Sandy has come and passed, have you added items to your stockpile or changed your ideas on what you want to stockpile or HOW you stockpile?
    No economic disasters? No job loss? No long term illness or injury? No power failures / electricity interruptions? One preps for more than just a natural disaster.
    Your original question was about the hurricane. That's what I responded to. No, we have not added or changed anything based on Hurricane Sandy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Generator. Must. Buy. Generator. I say that EVERY time the lights go out... then they come back on and I put it off again. This year, it's going on my christmas wish list!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Zip ties in asst. sizes
    just got a pile more noodles/sloppy joes mix and sauces.

I was thinking about piles in diff areas of the house. If a tornado came I would be in the bsmt.NOt where the stockpile is. If I got trapped down there and my stockpile was upstairs I could starve w/ all that food overhead???

Also I was thinking about the value of the liquid in canned goods. Like drinking it but also softening rice in it. Like water is precious and would need to be rationed. So could I cook mac/cheese in boiled peach juice in a thermos type stuff.
    Out of the box for me-just mulling. KWIM?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I do count the liquid in canned goods as "water".

If I had a generator (on the list but other things are more important) or my plan was to "bug out", I'd definitely be stockpiling gasoline. I think we need a gasoline siphon, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CL-very difficult to keep too much gas. It goes bad too in time. Do you have space for an ouside tank? We keep a few gas cans and one mixed for the blower but thats just enough for a few days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in a hurricane prone area. At the beginning of hurricane season, we start filling gas cans when we fill our trucks and adding stabilizer. At the end of hurricane season the gas that is not used is put into the trucks. So gasoline CAN be stored; it just has to be rotated.

After hurricane Ike we THOUGHT we had enough gas to get us through until power was back, gas stations were open, and lines were reasonable. We were wrong. We didn't run out of gas, but we came VERY close. We paid an arm and a leg for the first gas we bought after the storm because of price gouging. It WON'T happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    CL-very difficult to keep too much gas. It goes bad too in time. Do you have space for an ouside tank? We keep a few gas cans and one mixed for the blower but thats just enough for a few days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I asked for a generator for my birthday and Christmas for two years before my husband gave in and bought me one. We start it and run it once a month. It was another thing on my preparedness list. It gives me peace of mind knowing that I have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post
    Generator. Must. Buy. Generator. I say that EVERY time the lights go out... then they come back on and I put it off again. This year, it's going on my christmas wish list!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just ordered some small sterno cans to be able to heat up food or water. Also did what someone else suggested and ran around with twenty dollar bills to get change. So now I have a small stash of 1 and 5 dollar bills to use if I need to after a storm instead of handing over a 20 for a 4 dollar item. Am also going to look into baby rice cereal. Am trying to think of foods that I can eat due to allergies that would be easy to make. Yes, I have canned goods but it would be nice to know I had something else that would be quick and easy to make packed with vitamins. I already know that the stockpiled food I have won't be the most nutritious or well balanced. Do have plenty of vitamins.

I do think about the fact that the roof could be damaged in a storm and all the stockpile could be wiped out.

Oh, just thought of another item that would be useful. A money belt for the times I might be forced/told to evacuate. Carrying around a purse just doesn't seem safe or practical when you are barely 5 feet tall and plenty of desperate people are around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not only that, Shoiji, but if you don't have to carry a purse it might allow you to carry something else instead if need be.

One thing my mom does is peel her prescription med labels off the empty bottles and then stick them to clear packaging tape in a long strip, back to back. That way, they're laminated so the printing doesn't get worn off or anything. Then she folds them up accordian style and puts them in her wallet. She does it so when someone asks her at a doc's office what she takes, she can just whip out the labels and they make a copy. But it's a good idea to carry that info in case you have to evacuate and for some reason, end up without your meds. Then the prescription info is available in case you need to get meds elsewhere. Which reminds me I've been meaning to do the same with mine so I can carry them in case of an accident or in case my meds get lost or destroyed while we're on a trip.

In addition to small bills, we carry a roll of quarters in each of our go bags, plus more quarters in our trailer. That way, if we evacuate and are in a place where we can use a laundromat or a vending machine or need to use a pay phone, we have change.

We are also setting up a small binder that contains vital info such as contact info for all insurance companies including their main offices, not just the local agent, our docs' info, names and numbers for work supervisors, contact info for emergency services and info hotlines, credit card info, etc, so in case we have to leave and need to contact any of those people, we have the numbers handy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast