Anyone nervous about the upcoming new year?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone nervous about the upcoming new year?

I have to say that I have definitely laxed on my preps this last couple of years. I stockpile like crazy, but wonder if it is the right kind of stockpiling. I need to inventory my stuff and figure out from there where to fill in the gaps. Just seems like my to do list on my days off doesn't leave me much room to go around and inventory anything. Will have to try and get this done in the next few weeks for sure. I grocery shop every week however if we get a big storm or something I could survive on what we have for a good while. Called in on sunday to work because the weather was just too crappy. Dh wanted pizza for lunch but didn't want to even drive the few blocks up town to get one. I made one from scratch as I had everything to do so.

We did add a solar oven this year and for winter cooking have a kerosene stove and heaters. We also have a wood fireplace. Just makes me wonder what else I should be doing. Anyone else nervous?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nope.

We'll deal with whatever comes, like we always have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My hubby wants to retire in less than 15 months.
    I am way past nervous.
    I feel like a cat on the floor with a lot of rockers in the room.

The economy and prices going higher don't help either.
    I am going to stay positive and give it my best though. It will be what it will be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm trying to stock up my pantry for the winter. We have a camp stove and 2 oil lanterns. Need to get more oil. We used to have a kerosene heater but dh gave it to our friends. We hacker lots of candles also & matches. Wish we had a wood burner. Need to stock up on tp & more water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to re-evaluate our budget starting in Jan due to increasing expenses (healthcare, utilities). We started talking today about refinancing since rates are so low. That would help with the monthly budget. Trying to stay up on the stockpile so I at least have a good stock of basic pantry items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nervous? No. Concerned? Yes.

We are doing OK as a retired couple. Health.... OK. Use of time..... OK. Financial..... OK. Home... OK. It's all working out, for the present.

But I am concerned about some items for next year, and it's stuff that I can't do anything about. I don't know what to think about Obamacare and how it will affect me. Hubby goes on Medicare next year, and that's going to be a learning curve all by itself, let alone trying to get thru the Obamacare maze. I would feel better about it if I just knew what was going to happen, but I don't think the politicians even know what is going to happen. Right now it takes 1/3 of our income to pay our health insurance premiums, and many articles make it sound as if that will go no place but UP.

I was reading on bankrate.com about what will happen to our income taxes next year if the fiscal cliff is not averted. There was a calculator on there to give an idea of where our income tax could go. For us, it adds another $3000 per year in federal income taxes. That is just about what our pension check is per month.

These are things that I can do nothing about, and it really does concern me!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah. Rates are going up. We owe $600. in electric overage from the budget plan. The dog needs $1500. surgery and we havent had a raise in 4 years.
    I redid all the budgets to adjust for the 2% SSI hike and the diff in the electric bill. I started cooking at home again.
    BUT NO and I mean NO cooperation here. DH just left 6 lights on and went in the basement
    DD just threw out a whole bag of onion because there was "mildew" on one
    I just bought holiday crap at S.A. I didnt need.
    We are our worst enemies.
    But it is hard as things crank tighter to watch every cent.
    After I get xmas under control the pantry is next. Before Jan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Nope.

We'll deal with whatever comes, like we always have.
    That is exactly how we feel. I figure if we survived in our time in our early 20's with 2 kids and me being bed ridden and close to homeless we will survive almost anything with the things we learned back then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We will deal with it each day at a time...We will learn from hard times in the past and cope with what is delt to us as it comes...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was thinking about this thread overnight. As I mentioned, our health insurance premiums take 1/3 of our income. So that's about 4 months of money. Our property tax takes one month of income. Our taxes take over one month of income, and if the fiscal cliff hits, it may take about one more month of income. That's 7 months of income just to pay those items. And here I was thinking that I was in control of my money........
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceef View Post
    Anyone else nervous?
    Not really nervous..............just in 'wonderment' I guess............not going to lose sleep over it as I have dealt with other bad times and am sure I will make it through this one too.

I have set my mind to ADJUST to whatever happens..............think that is more important right now. I HAVE a stockpile/savings/ etc.....and to stockpile any more would be potential waste if I couldn't use it up..........so I have PLANNED all I can...........now I have to adjust to whatever happens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just started looking at refinancing which would drop our mortgage by $600 per month. I am going to focus more on stockpiling so if our income goes down or prices go up we can be prepared.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by brennasmom View Post
    Just started looking at refinancing which would drop our mortgage by $600 per month. I am going to focus more on stockpiling so if our income goes down or prices go up we can be prepared.
    Wow! that would be a nice drop!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The fact is, things are coming and they're going to get bad. Real bad. The problem is not so much for those who know it's coming -- we're not necessarily prepared, but if you know it's coming, it's not so bad. You can ride the waves and scrimp and save and get by. But I fear for those who are totally oblivious to all this drama. The prepper community calls them "zombies" -- the people who aren't prepared and don't know what to do to survive.

I've stockpiled some foods, but I'm more interested in learning new skills. We're going to put in a garden next year. I've learned to knit this past year. I'm learning to can. Hubby's learning to cook and bake. We've joined a CSA and have cut our meat consumption way back. The more we skrimp and save, the better it is for us in the short run. But the more we know ahead of time, the easier it will be to handle things in the long run.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am concerned about the up coming year..we have no savings and only hubs income.....so I know I have to have at least 1 month of income would like more.....so we are having a budget meeting and discussing cutting back on things and savings....

I do not have the stockpile I want..but we are planing on doing better with it next year.....we are also making do with what we have....

guess what comes we will have to take the good with the bad..we will fare better than some and worse than others....we will be ok we always are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast