Is your intuition alarms going off?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Is your intuition alarms going off?

Considering that we basically have a disfunctional government, natural disasters seem to be getting to be a common occurance, and crime in large cities is running rampant, I just do not have a good feeling about the future of the US. I mean they are even killing school kids for Petes sake. Now they are going to begin banning guns which in my opinion will not stop crime, and will probably make it even harder for honest people to defend themselves. Things just are not looking good my friends. I think prepping is becoming more important every day the way things are getting!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Actually, I'm feeling more hopeful for the future of America. Yes, I think there will be tough times ahead. As it becomes tougher, more Americans will become disenchanted and the pendulum will swing the other way. I think a lot of truths will be revealed soon. We have survived worse. I think - or hope - we'll pull through.

But I do have a general feeling of un-ease. Not alarm bells, just feeling anxious. I feel our safety net growing smaller. The future tough times will be harder to survive. We're re-thinking some of our plans; re-prioritizing. What we have to do isn't happening soon enough.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
    Considering that we basically have a disfunctional government, natural disasters seem to be getting to be a common occurance, and crime in large cities is running rampant, I just do not have a good feeling about the future of the US. I mean they are even killing school kids for Petes sake. Now they are going to begin banning guns which in my opinion will not stop crime, and will probably make it even harder for honest people to defend themselves. Things just are not looking good my friends. I think prepping is becoming more important every day the way things are getting!
    Actually, the statistics show that violent crime is down. Watch this video. Amidst The Noise - YouTube

He refers to this table in the video. FBI — Table 1
    ~Russ

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The violent crime rate did go down in Detroit. Except the murder rate. That was the second worst year in history they said on the news. It's very scary out there. I just operate on the premise that everyone is crazy and be on guard. Keep my mouth shut and mind my own business in an effort to stay outta harms way. I try to have a reasonable amount of stuff on hand so if we are in the house for an extended period of time we would be reasonably comfortable. In my estimate we would be okay for several months food and supply wise. It has been a goal of mine to build the stockpile to a more "cushy" level. We are still woefully understocked on water though . There just isn't anyplace to put it here. I need to figure something out here for that. That's a 2013 goal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Paid off my house this last yr.
    paying off the home equity loan by July
    just added $800. worth of food to the pile
    Taking the BEF up another $1000.
    Sold our stock in the Company and put it in debt repay.
    Everythings fine,why did someone hear something.Preppers are weirdo,guns are bad-never touch them. nope. Couponing folder get reactivated again tomorrow.

Russ =-did you miss the Jets pizza will not deliver in Detroit after dark article. And the most homicides ever "award".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not really. we have no debt and 10 plus years in savings plus a few years in investments. Now if I had debt there would be loud blaring sirens going off.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Jamielane View Post
    The violent crime rate did go down in Detroit. Except the murder rate. That was the second worst year in history they said on the news. It's very scary out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Russ =-did you miss the Jets pizza will not deliver in Detroit after dark article. And the most homicides ever "award".
    Detroit's corruption is the major cause of their problems in my opinion. If you go to the downtown area, you see all kinds of police.

The point of the stats is the US as a whole. Widespread media coverage of crime and mass killings make things seem a lot worse on the crime front.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sure, there are some bad things happening, but I still think the US is the best place on earth!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know that throughout history we have had all the same problems, to a degree that, we have today (say the so-called experts)- now we just have a better means of media to continually remind us all of the daily gloom and doom.

What concerns me most now though is the 'society' that we are raising. We have people that no longer have fear, remorse, guilt, morals or values. We have a people that believe that the country owes them, because we have been graced with their presence when they were born. We have a people so caught up in having, taking, coveting -that they have lost most of their common-sense thought processes. We have more than any generation before us in history, but yet we are the most stressed-out prozac- taking group of people on the planet. We walk around screaming, "More, More - Gimmee', Gimmee'". And some days we don't even walk doing it - we RUN, pushing and shoving anyone or anything in our way - including old people & little children ... (think Black Friday).

The Gov't may one day right itself. We may miraculously climb out of the debt hole we are in. Heck, we may one day even somehow have a huge surplus. The state of the economy may be the last of our problems. But honestly, as a people - we better get it together - because as history does show 'Those that don't stand together, will more than likely fall together'.

And one more thing - on the whole gun control thing.... taking away the guns are not going to stop the violence (and no, I don't even own a gun - but I do plan on getting one this year - but that's a whole 'nother post) - anyway, it's not the guns that are the problems - it's the people that I casually mentioned above that are the problem. Take away the guns - you think that will stop the violence? Last night we watched a show where a man took a cane and demonstrated himself limping along - then he rose said cane, and fired off 6 rounds into a waiting target - just like that. Take their guns - you don't need guns to fire bullets. People will just find other ways (and all they have to do is learn from the internet) - and if guns aren't their thing - just google how to build a bomb, that can do a lot more damage in a crowded area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    I know that throughout history we have had all the same problems, to a degree that, we have today (say the so-called experts)- now we just have a better means of media to continually remind us all of the daily gloom and doom.

What concerns me most now though is the 'society' that we are raising. We have people that no longer have fear, remorse, guilt, morals or values. We have a people that believe that the country owes them, because we have been graced with their presence when they were born. We have a people so caught up in having, taking, coveting -that they have lost most of their common-sense thought processes. We have more than any generation before us in history, but yet we are the most stressed-out prozac- taking group of people on the planet. We walk around screaming, "More, More - Gimmee', Gimmee'". And some days we don't even walk doing it - we RUN, pushing and shoving anyone or anything in our way - including old people & little children ... (think Black Friday).

The Gov't may one day right itself. We may miraculously climb out of the debt hole we are in. Heck, we may one day even somehow have a huge surplus. The state of the economy may be the last of our problems. But honestly, as a people - we better get it together - because as history does show 'Those that don't stand together, will more than likely fall together'.

And one more thing - on the whole gun control thing.... taking away the guns are not going to stop the violence (and no, I don't even own a gun - but I do plan on getting one this year - but that's a whole 'nother post) - anyway, it's not the guns that are the problems - it's the people that I casually mentioned above that are the problem. Take away the guns - you think that will stop the violence? Last night we watched a show where a man took a cane and demonstrated himself limping along - then he rose said cane, and fired off 6 rounds into a waiting target - just like that. Take their guns - you don't need guns to fire bullets. People will just find other ways (and all they have to do is learn from the internet) - and if guns aren't their thing - just google how to build a bomb, that can do a lot more damage in a crowded area.
    I really agree with what you are saying. I think mass media colors our perspective SO much. It rarely shows the good things going on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well Downtown Detroit is nice Russ and very well patrolled. The problem is the rest of the city is like a cesspool. My husband goes there every day to work and sees some pretty awful stuff. He isn't in downtown, he is at Davison and Vandyke. In the 'thick" of it.They watched a dead body lay on the railroad tracks that runs along his workplace for 4 hours before the cops even repsonded last summer. I have to take my daughter to a dr. down at childrens a couple times a year and that is always terrifying. Last night on the news there were three seperate stories of people being shot down in the city. Not the sanitized, cleaned up downtown where they want people from the suburbs to come and spend their money but the part where people are actually trying to survive. I think the guns are an issue but not THE isue. THE issue is people are in survival mode in places like that. If they think you have what they need or their family needs or in some cases just what they want they will take it. My SIlL works at the ren cen down there and she said its really beautiful for about 3 square blocks. After that its every man for himself. It's sad . I wish it wasn't that way but it is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, my alarms are going off -- have been for some time, and getting louder. . . for lots of reasons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm so conflicted because I had always intended to move back to the US after living in Europe for a few years, but now I'm not so sure I want to go back. I haven't visited in 18 months or so, but from what I read, hear, and see on TV, I don't think it's a place for me anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jamielane: I just operate on the premise that everyone is crazy and be on guard. Keep my mouth shut and mind my own business in an effort to stay outta harms way.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I refuse to watch the Detroit news actually, it is all bad it seems. I tell my 81 year old mom all the time, Don't start you day off with the Detroit News.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, my alarm bells have been going off for some time now; say...about 4 years. Criminals will always have guns whether they are banned or not. I am a firm believer in this. If you take away citizen's rights to bear arms, you are simply saying to the thugs, "Here they are, come rob, rape & murder them as you will". Sorry if anyone disagrees, but dh is in law enforcement and I see plenty and he doesn't even tell me the worst that he sees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast