Wonder Oven

Thread: Wonder Oven

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wonder Oven

I was surfing the net last night and came across the "Wonder Oven." It looks to be an energy saver and can be made fairly easily. Has any one here ever used one? Or know anything about them?

How to make your own:
    wonder box | The Thermal Cooker Thermal Cooking Weblog

Cooking in it;
    Wonder Oven 101: Cooking Meat | My Food Storage Cookbook
    My Year Living On Food Storage: A Word about Wonder Ovens

Misc Info:
    10 Reasons to Have a Wonder Oven - American Preppers Network

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cooking with a bean bag chair. Who knew? Interesting.

I have no experience with this device. The only concern I would have would be keeping the food at a safe temp till it's time to serve it.

Bean bag chairs seem cheap and plentiful at garage sales. It probably wouldn't cost much to pick up some of those to give this a try. Maybe some would be available on Freecycle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So would my bf. m He would have a thermometer attached to it somehow....just like when we solar cook.

I didn't even give garages sales or freecycle a thought. This may be a experiment that we put off until garage sale season.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Camp Chef Dutch ovens all have a notch in the lids and pots to put a thermometer into. A remote thermometer would work that way, left inside the oven. I think so, anyway. Dutch oven cooking is a great survival skill too, and having one, if you don't have one, would give you lots of options for cooking in an emergency situation.

There are other remote thermometers available. Might be worth a look. I know a lot of people who use smokers use them to make sure the temps in the smoker stay where they need to be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks I will check them out!

We have dutch ovens but have not experimented with them. Maybe I'll get a fire pit put in this summer.

We have been really good at collecting equipment this past year but have not used it. Maybe that will change this year since I finally got a yard and garden put in last year and I can finally start working on the outside of my house. I want a fire pit, smoker and to plant fruit trees, raspberries and such this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a Dutch oven cookbooklet written by some friends of ours. It covers cooking with charcoal briquettes in a DO and simplifies the process by eliminating all the unnecessary math.

Outdoor Cooking with Dutch Ovens - Lone Star Dutch Oven Society

You can also use wood coals, but there's more of a learning curve because of the different sizes, shapes, and densities in wood coals vs. the uniformity of charcoal. I would suggest starting with charcoal until you get the hang of it, and then learning how to use wood coals if you want to.

You do not need a fire pit to cook with a DO. A table is actually much more convenient because you're not bending over all the time. I make my tables out of various flame-proof items I find. This is my current favorite:

I made it out of a folding camp stool I got at a garage sale and a broiler pan salvaged from the local appliance recycling place. It would easily hold 150 pounds of food and iron, yet it's lightweight and folds down to a small package.

DO cooking is easy and fun and you can do most anything in a DO that you can bake in your stove oven, so that gives you a lot of variety.