Spring storm preparedness!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Spring storm preparedness!

Ok I live in the midwest and we get some unpredictable weather here. My husband has always thought been better to be prepared and not need the item than to not have it. So we usually keep flashlights, extra food and such on hand. Well after the power went out on Tuesday for about three hours and came back on I made some splurge purchases. I ordered two led hand crank/battery operated lanterns and a one burner stove that takes butane cartridges and a case of the cartridges. I figure that even if I don't need it these next few weeks it will come in handy this summer/winter for storms and such. Both my friend I talked with today and my mom said oh this is just a one time deal with the bad weather. This is coming from both of them that lost power.

REALLY!!! I remember several occasions as a kid when the power went out for more than a day and we had nothing to light the house, no hot water or hot food. My mom tells me today well we only lost power for one day and a cold bologna sandwich got me through just fine. I said great for you mom, but I have a three year old and another baby due in a month. Tell them to eat cold sandwiches. Other friends of ours live in the next town over and they haven't had power since Tuesday. They didn't have flashlights or anything. Now I'm not saying that they should all run out and build a bomb shelter I just think keeping a few things on hand to get you through a situation like this makes sense to me. They think I am crazy and overly paranoid. Oh well they live just far enough away in bad weather that it wouldn't make sense to come over. So guess I don't have to share any of my overly paranoid items with them.

Anyone else deal with this? They make me so mad. I really try not to tell them what I buy, but couldn't help myself. I did mention the lanterns and stove to my one friend. She just said it wouldn't make any sense for her to spend money on such items. I didn't tell my mom about the stove she told me to just use my grill. Whatever! DH goes to the police academy this next winter leaving me with two young kids I don't want to be cooking on a grill when it is a blizzard outside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's the nice thing about being campers. We have everything we need for an emergency.

We have a gas stove in the house, so we don't need a spare stove. But if we did, there is one in the camper (built in) and I also have a vintage Coleman that I converted to use propane a couple years ago.

Using a grill is good advice, actually. Especially a gas grill with a cover. You can bake in those, and they don't need that much attention. We have a small gas Sunbeam we use for camping and it's great for baking, grilling, frying, etc. I also know how to cook with Dutch ovens. And we have a Cobb cooker that uses charcoal, which, again, is very versatile.

Nothing wrong with using a butane stove though, and it's good to be prepared. Be sure to practice cooking with it when you don't need it, so you know if it'll work as you'd like.

Good for you for thinking ahead.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I have a sterno stove I got at an army surplus, and several packs of fuel, and some liquid fuel that the cans can be refilled with. Lots of candles and flashlights. A small radio with batteries so we have music and can listen for any weather reports, warnings or public safety messages.

We have a gas grill but it heats poorly when the weather is cold. Food take soooo long to cook on it in winter I wouldn't want to rely on it.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am an old camper from way back so I keep all the things I need...I cook a few meals in the summer in the back yard on the open fire pit just to stay in practice..I also have a charco grill that we use all summer..In the winter I have a gas stove that the top lights with a lighter that I keep on hand..I have always keep several candles and batterys for the radio..so I can keep up..I also have a small camp stove for heating one or 2 rooms here in the winter..We always keep enough food to make it through quite a long time...The last time we lost electric for 3 days we didn't miss a beat..Had the whole neighborhood here but that was fine too..Played cards and all kinds of things..I do do a few meals in the summer to stay in practice..so that I am ready when the time comes..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

have candles, tons of batteries, lots of blankets, not nearly enough water, no crank heater or radios to speak of...i better get on the ball!

we have a firepit out back but are currently low on wood. need to remedy that this weekend!

we have a firepalce in the lvng roomand in the bsmnt. we have a gas heater on the back porch. we can stay in there if need be. dd would be warm enough! even though it is a 3 season room. gas heater warms it quite nicely!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've found the headlamps we use for camping when we don't have power to be extremely handy when we are without power at home, too. They're good reading lamps, and unlike flashlights, they are hands-free. Because they're LED lights, even if the batteries are almost dead they still provide light. Batteries last forever in them, unlike standard bulbs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My #1 thing on my list for you to buy would be a Generator! There is no feeling in the world when you lose power is own one of them...I make sure that I have several 5- gallon Gas containers filled at all times just for this reason along with extension cords..I would love to eventually have it hooked up so it would come on instantly when power is lost..I keep lots of flashlights with lots of batteries including a Head lamp...I keep lots of canned food & powered drinks..I have several 2-liter soda bottles that I cleaned and filled with water...I just bought a Woodstove for our livingroom with wood to heat with..I also bought a Coleman Campstove w/ oven with a special cord that will hookup to one of the big cylinders...I also keep alot of disposable utensils,paper plates,plastic cups..I also bought a Lug A Loo portable potty that is for camping...Two years ago we had a very bad storm that knocked out our power for many days so from there on I stay prepared at all times because you never know..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like SD said, being a camper means I already have these things. Beside the grill, I have 4 camping stoves. 2 of my grandads and 2 newer ones. Plus enough flashlights and lanterns to outfit a platoon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it's important to be prepared. After reading this thread, I realize that I am not nearly prepared. I'd be one of the neighbors Brat spoke of lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you think about this - how much 'stuff' do you buy that you don't "need"?? Extra clothes, junk food, frivolous purchases etc. It still add's up. You're not buying stuff. You're investing in YOUR future. If you advertise what you've got, you best be buying more b/c they'll be coming to you/your house each time disaster strikes.

My gf saw me buying Chef Boyardee and went giddy with glee as she confessed that she loved it too and buys it weekly. Uh...I bought it b/c it had pull tops and can be eaten from the can when there's no power and was somewhat decent for us diabetics etc. She felt silly after. We just saw things differently and that's OK. I'd rather be somewhat prepped vs playing the fool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your relatives should consider themselves lucky that their power failures are short enough that they need no preparation. Usually.

Once you live through a couple of week-long power outages, you learn new respect for preparation. The hydro company learned their lesson a few years ago, and the big week-long outages are less common now. Still it goes out at least a couple of times a season, and when it does, it's out for a couple of days.

This is a rural area, where everyone uses a well for water. No power means no water. Routine preparations here are:
    - flashlights are all kept in a place where you can find them in the dark
    - headlamps for light while working
    - wood stove for heat and some cooking
    - camp stove for more convenient cooking
    - buckets of rainwater for flushing toilets
    - bottled water for drinking and cooking

Many people here now have generators, particularly after that big storm a few years back. If it is properly connected to the electrical panel with a transfer switch, it can run the fridge, freezer and water pump, as well as providing some lights and powering a few appliances.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a regulat party in the old neighborhood when the electric went out..Now that I have moved I still keep things stocked up for we have a lot of storms here winter and summer..I have been luck so far but alway ready..