World food supply at risk!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default World food supply at risk!

Reading this article really disturbs me, and I have been personally wondering when everybody would realize this is a serious problem. I honestly hope their is a solution to this, but in my opinion we are past the tipping point!
    What are your feelings?

Food supply under assault as climate heats up - NBC News.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't see good things for the future. I was always an optimistic person, but not anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I believe the article uses facts and figures to further it's own agenda

Here is one example:
    "Only 28 percent of corn fields have been planted this year compared with 85 percent at this time in 2012, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture" is miss leading. Possible causing people to belive that there will be less corn.

Here is another figure from another source also by the USDA

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture made its official crop forecast for the year on Thursday and predicted record corn and soybean harvest even though drought continues to grip some areas of the country"

USDA predicts record 2013 corn, soybean crops

World Record Corn Crops Predicted for 2013
    Last edited by imagine; 05-16-2013 at 04:06 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with you Imagine. I believe nothing the media reports and even less than that of the scientific studies because they are backed either by the government or a company like Monsanto to further their own agenda....just like global warming lie.

Like this sentence for example:

"Only 28 percent of corn fields have been planted this year compared with 85 percent at this time in 2012, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture"

1. How much is planted by this time in an average year?
    2. Was 2012 an alignment of perfect weather conditions to plant?
    3. The farmers may of had 85% in the field but 2012 was a HORRIBLE drought. The fields were dry and the farmers were able to get into the fields to plant but what good did it do them?
    4. It's only the middle of May, there is time for farmers to get the crops in the fields. This is just another article by the drive by media to cause fear in the uneducated masses that believe everything they are told - even if it is lies.

However; I do believe our food supply is in trouble, not so much from the weather but from all the Frankenstein seeds that are being manufactured. The seeds the parent plant makes are worthless and can not be saved to grow more seeds. This will eventually make us dependent on Monsanto for all the food we eat. Because their plants cross pollinate with our heirloom garden plants and render the seeds we collect from our gardens worthless. The Monsanto seeds are made with herbicides and insecticides in the seed and the plant that it grows. This kills ALL bugs that eat the plant - good and bad bugs. What does this do to us when we eat the food those plants produce? That is what scares the hell out of me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_tiger_36 View Post

However; I do believe our food supply is in trouble, not so much from the weather but from all the Frankenstein seeds that are being manufactured. The seeds the parent plant makes are worthless and can not be saved to grow more seeds. This will eventually make us dependent on Monsanto for all the food we eat. Because their plants cross pollinate with our heirloom garden plants and render the seeds we collect from our gardens worthless. The Monsanto seeds are made with herbicides and insecticides in the seed and the plant that it grows. This kills ALL bugs that eat the plant - good and bad bugs. What does this do to us when we eat the food those plants produce? That is what scares the hell out of me!
    I couldn't have said it any better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If humans are anything, they're adaptable. If there is a huge breakdown, there will be problems but somebody will figure things out. One thing to remember is, if the equator and areas near by are heating up so are the areas near the poles. Less ice? Maybe. More arable cropland? Absolutely! The planting zones will be shifted. Due to continent configurations, a warmer climate will make some places now desert, more arable because moisture content will be up in those areas. Have some faith in human nature.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am thinking about simply cutting myself off from reading news of any kind. Half the time I read articles like this, and get upset over blown outof poroportion mews stories and it just isn't worht it!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

"Only 28 percent of corn fields have been planted this year compared with 85 percent at this time in 2012, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture"

3. The farmers may of had 85% in the field but 2012 was a HORRIBLE drought. The fields were dry and the farmers were able to get into the fields to plant but what good did it do them?
    2012 spring came in early across the midwest. Winter 2011-12 was exceptionally warm and almost everything was up and blooming a month early. I had lettuce in April. Farmers plant when conditions are right, and that was pretty early last year.

2013 spring has been cold. We had late season snow right into May here, a new record. A lot of fields around here have not been planted yet or were only planted recently.

2012 was the 2nd or 3rd year in a row of drought across the midwest. Some areas are still in drought. Locally in KS and MO about 40% of the corn crops failed. Strangely, nobody starved to death.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with you Imagine. I believe nothing the media reports and even less than that of the scientific studies because they are backed either by the government or a company like Monsanto to further their own agenda....just like global warming lie.

Like this sentence for example:

4. It's only the middle of May, there is time for farmers to get the crops in the fields. This is just another article by the drive by media to cause fear in the uneducated masses that believe everything they are told - even if it is lies.

" The seeds the parent plant makes are worthless and can not be saved to grow more seeds. This will eventually make us dependent on Monsanto for all the food we eat. "
    True the seed terminates and are not heirloom. I disagree that it will make us dependent on Monsanto (possiblly depended on seed conpanies but not just Monsanto). Monsanto patents are expiring ( a feel have already expiried) and so the seeds are now generic and can be made by other comapnies. Much like when medicines are patented and become generic.

"The Monsanto seeds are made with herbicides and insecticides in the seed and the plant that it grows."
    Can you give me more information on this. What seeds already have the herbicides and insecticides in the seed?

I know the round up ready seeds are genreically engineered to be resistant to the herbicide in the round up. so the round up when sprayed only kills the weeds not the crop.

I know that there is a genreically modified seed they make that produces it's own pesticide. the pesticide it makes is one that some plants produce naturally/organically. Since it is made naturally by plants the genreically modified crop is for now being considered safe as well.

I believe that Genetically modified seeds and crops came out of the "World Food Crisis of the '70s" the wanted to work on sustanability of the crops. I want to hope that it sprung out of a food heart and any negative side affects are just that and not something sinister.

I also wonder what would have happened if seeds had not been worked on? Would we have have been un able to grow enough crops to match growing population? all things that can not be known without a time machine but are fun to ponder and scary to think on.

I hear monansto is currently working on drought resistant crops. I wonder how that will turn out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know there is corn seed with BT in it to kill caterpillars. that is what is doing in the Monarch butterflies - the corn pollen lands on the milkweed plants in the corn field, which the Monarch caterpillars eat. Presto - dead Monarch caterpillars.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    I know there is corn seed with BT in it to kill caterpillars. that is what is doing in the Monarch butterflies - the corn pollen lands on the milkweed plants in the corn field, which the Monarch caterpillars eat. Presto - dead Monarch caterpillars.
    That is sad about the monarchs. Here is an article I found about it.
    Researchers: GM Crops Are Killing Monarch Butterflies, After All | Mother Jones Where I live people purposefully plant milkweed for the monarchs as the milkweed was in decline. There are plenty of places to plant it away from crops here.

The seeds that are BT are gentically modifided make their own BT protien which is toxic to the the instects. The seeds do not already have herbicides and insecticides in the seed. I was wondering if there was a new seed I did not know about.
    Last edited by imagine; 05-20-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some of these stories make you want to live off the grid and grow all your own food again..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    Some of these stories make you want to live off the grid and grow all your own food again..
    Amen to that! I have the place but I want to live comfortably for as long as possible. If times get worse, off the grid I go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    That is actually my dream. Even if I won the powerball. I just have this deep rooted need to live off the land. I would have made a great hippy, minus the drugs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't wait to live off the grid (just waiting for my youngest to grow up)! But I would probably start my own food crisis with my brown thumb.

I read somewhere that if the world had a similar diet to those in India we would have a lot more years left in our food supply (it was a lot of years difference to what us Westerners eat). I can't find the website with those statistics on it.

Isn't anyone policing the seeds of our crops? And our future crops? And what about seed farms? I suppose when there is a real crisis all those in Monsanto would have made their money and retired before they have to answer to it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast