Used The Generator Yesterday
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Used The Generator Yesterday

We live on the Texas Gulf Coast. I finally convinced my husband to buy a generator after Hurricane Ike. We start it once a month, etc. but really haven't had an opportunity to use it.

Yesterday morning I found a flyer on the front door that the light company would be doing maintenance and that we would be without power for 4-5 hours SOMETIME this week. The power went out at 5:45 pm. The outside temp was in the mid to upper 90's. Plus the humidity is high because we recently had rain.

We immediately got out the generator, cranked it up and plugged up the A/C window unit in my office (off the master bedroom), the TV, and a fan. We closed off the master bedroom to the rest of the house.

The temp in the rest of the house soared to over 85 degrees. We (and three dogs) were comfortable in the master bedroom until the power came back on several hours later.

It was a good trial run for when we do have an actual long term power outage. We were without power for over two weeks during Hurricane Ike.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad it worked well for you! I would like to buy one after borrowing my father in laws for camping. i was overwhelmed with the choices. Do you by chance have any recommendations?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a website that estimated the power usage (or what ever they call it) to start up an appliance and to run it. It takes more to start things than to keep them running. So you have to decide what you will want to run first. I also read that you don't have to run refrigerators and freezers non-stop to keep things cold/frozen. So you can alternate running them. You also need heavy duty extension cords.

You have to maintain your generator, change the oil, run it monthly, etc. You also need to have fuel on hand to run your generator. At the beginning of the season, we fill 5 gal gas cans and add stabilizer. Whatever we don't use by the end of the season goes into the trucks and lawnmower.

We learned the lesson about gas on hand when we were staying at my brother's. He had several 5 gal gas cans and we ended up using the gas in his 4-wheeler and Jeep before gasoline became readily available and at a normal price without long lines. When there is widespread power outages gas stations can't pump gas without electricity. Then when the gas stations start getting power the lines extend forever. AND there is price gouging!

You need a safe place (think thieves) to run your generator and MAKE SURE it is away from windows and in a well ventilated space. Do NOT run a generator IN the house! People die every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning from running generators.

I will look around and see if I can find the website and post it here. The whole process is a bit overwhelming. But I took my time and researched everything. I bought the generator, gas cans, HD extension cords, oil, etc. slowly over time when I had the money, found them on sale, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Glad it worked well for you! I would like to buy one after borrowing my father in laws for camping. i was overwhelmed with the choices. Do you by chance have any recommendations?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks much!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are welcome! Take your time. Read and digest information. Come back and read again. Don't jump in and spend a lot of money until you are sure what you need!

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Thanks much!!!!