the shutdown - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the shutdown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dd and her dh are essential employees. Both currently working without pay....

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

***********To no one person in particular*******

Please keep this civil.

I will only say it once and then I will hold my breath until y'all start being civil again.
    ~Russ

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post

Please keep this civil.

I will only say it once and then I will hold my breath until y'all start being civil again.
    Hmm.......I didn't think anyone was not being civil???

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congressman Tom McClintock Addresses the House Floor on the Government Shutdown: Let Us Reason Together

"With the clock running out, the House offered a third compromise: fund the entire government, fund Obamacare, including the malfunctioning exchanges, but at least delay the mandate for individuals to obtain coverage for a year while these problems are addressed, and rescind the illegal action of the President that shields members of Congress from the costs of this law. It’s a simple principle: equality under law.

Since the President exempted big business from the mandate to provide healthcare for employees, it’s only fair that those employees should also be relieved from the mandate to purchase it. And if members of Congress can’t afford the new costs of Obamacare, how do we expect the average American to do so?

But once again, the Senate summarily rejected the third compromise by the House and once again, refused even to discuss our differences."

Found the link to the compromise suggested. Still don't see why it was rejected since it did fund both the government and the ACA.

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It was rejected because Obama didn't get everything Obama wanted. He acts worse than a spoiled rotten rich kid! I'm sick of his constant name calling, lies and how he destroys anyone who doesn't think he's a God. Personally - I think he's a modern day Hitler and he needs to be stopped before he can continue to follow the path Hitler took. Maybe I'm way out in left field (and I hope I am) but he is a very bad person and I'm ashamed that he is our president.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also wonder why it was necessary to barricade off the WWII memorial? That thing is an open air memorial. Why did they even go to the effort of fencing it off? Seems really petty- I'm glad they've taken the barricades down.

Park Service Workers Erect WWII Barricade | The Weekly Standard

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most likely it was barricaded because it requires maintenance to keep it clean, security to keep people safe and prevent vandalism (not by the veterans, of course), and whatever else needs to be done there by now-furloughed workers.

This stuff is never as simple as it might seem.

It's a disgrace they even tried to keep the Honor Flight veterans from seeing their own memorial, after the sacrifices they made for our country.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We all have opinions, we can't change the situation.I certainly wasn't trying to getting anyone riled up.
    I was just wanting to discuss things that might be impacted that we hadn't necessarily thought about. I heard today how the CDC was furloughing many employees right at the start of flu season and the NIH was also furloughing staff which could impact cancer patients being enrolled in clinical trials.
    The whole situation worries me and the whole scope of it could be larger than we thought.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by TamiDN View Post
    Hmm.......I didn't think anyone was not being civil???
    I'm not saying anyone was.

It was just in case.Typically when a political type thread starts it's usually not long before arguing starts.
    ~Russ

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post

Please keep this civil.

Ok....the last statement" I will hold my breath until y'all start being civil again" is what threw me as I though we were.

I do know how these threads get though.....sometimes it isn't pretty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"The area I live has a growing number of illegal immigrants. They know how to work the system ( as do people who were legally born here) and I just get tired of footing the bill. They love to brag about all they get for free. So this is where my frustration stems from....."

Tami: I hear this on a daily basis also; they teach each other how to work the system so that I have to pay more taxes to support their checks & entitlement benefits. In my area there are more recipients than taxpayers. Dd works full time for not much above minimum wage & has 2 children who Dad does not go to jail for not paying child support; she does not get a "check" (read welfare here) nor does she get food stamps, but her youngest does qualify for WIC. She called and said one of her friends told her that WIC would be discontinued possibly. I told her that's okay, I would buy the children's milk, eggs, etc if necessary, but that I wasn't for the ACA as I feel that it will be the downfall of our nation and that something had to be done to show the government that it was a really bad idea. The president, congress, senate, etc continue to get paid, there are special clause exempting them from all, or portions, of the ACA or its trickle down effect. I could go on & on, but the bottom line is that the "entitlement" attitude is just sinful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree completely. The entitlement attitude is sinful and the ACA is just another entitlement. The system was broken, but this doesn't fix any of the problems that we had. I think we need to address the real problem, the health crisis in this country. I'm not talking about the healthcare system, I'm talking about 65% of the population being overweight. If we could lower those numbers, there would be more than enough money to help the people who are sick due to no fault of their own. We must get off the couch and stop eating unhealthy foods. It is killing us and burdening the healthcare system in this country. We do not have the funds or the resources to help others because of the obesity problem and trying to help them.

The best thing about this shutdown and the previous furlough for us, is that it will lower our income for the year. Each year in November, I analyze our income and taxes and decide if we should take some leave without pay from our jobs. If we are close to losing deductions, I will lower our income that way. I refuse to pay anymore than I absolutely have to into this corrupt system. The medicare penalty of .9% will kick in for us if I don't watch the numbers. I will do everything in my power to shelter my income.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Giro View Post

The medicare penalty of .9% will kick in for us if I don't watch the numbers. I will do everything in my power to shelter my income.
    Giro ... or anyone ... I've missed this one. Could you give a brief explanation of what the medicare penalty of .9% is? Thank you in advance.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here you go.

Questions and Answers for the Additional Medicare Tax

Basically, if you have income (all income that is subject to Medicare tax) over $250,000 for married or $200,000 for single taxpayers you are subject to the penalty of .9%. And don't get me started on that marriage penalty....are you kidding me? Why isn't is twice the amount of single taxpayers? You are penalizing married couples!!!

Do everything you can to keep your income under $250K or you will be penalized.

Also, the unearned tax increase for the same folks.

ObamaCare Unearned Income Tax
    This group will also pay a 3.8% unearned income tax on interest, dividends, annuities, royalties, rents, and gains on the sale of investments over the threshold.

screw the people who work the hardest. ugh.

I'm supposed to be thinking positively today!
    Last edited by Giro; 10-03-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Most likely it was barricaded because it requires maintenance to keep it clean, security to keep people safe and prevent vandalism (not by the veterans, of course), and whatever else needs to be done there by now-furloughed workers.

This stuff is never as simple as it might seem.

It's a disgrace they even tried to keep the Honor Flight veterans from seeing their own memorial, after the sacrifices they made for our country.
    During the 1996 shutdown, the National Mall, where this is located, wasn't barricaded. I find it fishy that this time it was. I am just seeing a lot of pure childishness in the way this is being handled.

"Although President Obama claims that he can’t avoid shutting down public sites and monuments, war memorials were in fact kept open during the 1995/1996 government shutdowns. The administration’s decision to barricade the Lincoln Memorial marks the first time in its history the memorial has been totally off limits to visitors during a shutdown."

Read more: Obama's expensive, unprecedented monument and park closings | The Daily Caller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast