the shutdown - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the shutdown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Isn't it funny how the same Republicans who voted to shut down the gov't are now upset that parts of the gov't are shut down?

Tried to post a link, but it isn't working. Here is an excerpt from Daily Kos:

House Republicans continue to be outraged about the fact that, when they shut the government down, even the parts that they liked got shut down. Specifically, various memorials in the nation's capital, led of course by the World War II Memorial. Naturally, being outraged Republicans, they're prepared to spend more time and energy investigating why the memorials are closed than attempting to reopen the whole government and the monuments right along with it.
    Senior House Natural Resources Committee Republicans sent their own letter Wednesday to National Park Service Director Jonathan Jarvis to ask him to “take steps as necessary to keep and not destroy documents related to the decision this week to restrict public access” to open-air memorials and monuments in the Washington area, including those honoring veterans of multiple wars, Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King.
    Documents related to the decision? Wouldn't those be the series of House votes that shut down the f'ing government? Which I'm pretty sure senior House Natural Resources Committee Republicans have access to and are aware of. Rep. Tammy Duckworth has thoughts on this matter:
    “These same veterans that they’re pretending to help today at the WWII memorial, you know, they’re going to have access to their disability pensions is going to be limited after Oct. 15. There’s going to be cuts in prosthetic research for veterans. The National Cemetery Administration is not going to be able to lay our heroes to rest at the same rate that they were,” Duckworth said. “And Michele Bachmann who was there today at the World War II Memorial actually said, ‘The shutdown is exactly what we wanted. We got what we wanted.’ A good day for the tea party is when government is having a bad day.”
    And kids are already being kicked out of Head Start and denied cancer treatment; and nutrition assistance for Women, Infants, and Children is being lost; and domestic violence shelters and local food banks are endangered, so it's been a very good fucking week for the tea party. Sarah Palin showed off a little of the glee they must all be feeling, dubbing the president "Barrycades" because, again, it's so, so outrageous that when the government closed, the memorials it operates were also closed, in some cases with barricades. It's really hard to decide which is more appalling and mouth-gapingly brazen: That Republicans are more concerned that a few memorials are closed off so that you can only look at them from outside and not go into them than that hundreds of thousands of people are going without paychecks and programs for the most vulnerable are being cut, or that Republicans forced the shutdown and are now trying to gain political mileage off of their outrage that things got shut down.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think that they are upset at the goverment being shut down so much as the things that are being shut down. The things being shut down aren't really the most logical. They even tried to shut down Mt Vernon which is privately owned. It's almost like they are trying to find the things that would inconvenience people the most rather than the things that are most logical. It makes me think of a small child who is having a fit because they wanted a cookie right before dinner and the parent said "no".

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, Here is what I want to say. I feel sorry for the government workers who are out of work because of the shut down. Actually I feel sorry for anyone who is out of work and needs a job. Second, I will be the first to admit that I do not know much about economics. But with that being said--I heard that if we don't get the budget pasted as of the 17th I believe, which is going to raise the debt ceiling again. Then we will be unable to pay all of our bills as a country. So if that was one of us it would be like waiting on a new CC so that we could take the money from that card and pay for the debt for the other cards and bill coming in. Right? I just can't understand how long a country can keep doing this before the begin to fall.
    I know if you look back over some of my posts you will see that we lost a house to foreclosure because we were living "the american dream" and then I became sick and then the domino's feel on us.
    Without even worring about Affordable Care Act it seems to me that the country is in trouble. So I defiantly do not know the solution I just hope that the best choice is made for the country as a whole. Not just so that the President or Congress saves face.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    I don't think that they are upset at the goverment being shut down so much as the things that are being shut down. The things being shut down aren't really the most logical. They even tried to shut down Mt Vernon which is privately owned. It's almost like they are trying to find the things that would inconvenience people the most rather than the things that are most logical. It makes me think of a small child who is having a fit because they wanted a cookie right before dinner and the parent said "no".
    I got the impression that was their approach to the sequester as well. Same thing here, just on a larger scale.

I don't think the country can continue to spend at the rate it has been. Politicians and voters need to realize that eventually the money will run out. Then what?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did the math ... it takes 35 US workers to support ONE federal employee. There is one federal employee for 63 people in this country.

There are between 800-thousand and 1-million "non-essential" federal employees being laid off. While permanently laying off HALF those employees won't make a huge dent in the over-all budget, it will reverse the trend toward the continuing bloat that is the federal government. Those people could go find jobs or even create jobs that would pay into the system instead of consume taxpayer money. (Yes, I know federal employees pay income tax but obviously they aren't taxed 100%.)

Obamacare? The ACA did NOTHING to fix the high cost of medical care in this country - N O T H I N G. The act only added new expenses into the system. For instance, the number of 'medical codes' increased by an order of magnitude (18,000 codes to now 140,000 - and they didn't keep the old codes the same number). Private insurance companies now HAVE to accept any new customer, no matter how sick they are and the new customer can't be charged any extra premiums. Insurance companies also have to cover more health conditions. So for insurance companies to remain in business they have no choice but to raise premiums for everyone. In 2018, employers will have to start paying a 40% (FORTY PERCENT!) tax penalty on any health plan that exceeds Obamacare value limits.

An Obamacare approved plan is now one that has an HSA attached. I love MSAs (you have to use the money every year) and private HSAs (the money is in your own bank account and it rolls over from year to year) but they work best when you have a "catastrophic plan" with ultra low premiums. For 2014, my husband's employer will be offering their HSA plan that has premiums equal to what we are paying currently with our lower-deductible 80/20 plan. Our current plan is being eliminated. Either we pay higher premiums or we are forced into an HSA plan. Our family deductible will go from $1500 (easily covered by our MSA) to $6000 (that is an additional $375 a month out of our pockets just to fund the HSA - and we can't access that money until the bank account balance gets high enough to actual cover some bills.) So, come January 2014 we'll be paying medical insurance premiums, paying to fund an HSA (to the tune of $500 a month) PLUS be paying for all our prescriptions and medical care out-of-pocket because our deductible won't kick in. Oh, and the doctor we visit isn't "in-network" (no one around here is) so ALL of those expenses will be completely out-of-pocket; they won't even go toward our deductible. So, in short, we went from having medical insurance to having medical insurance that is really, really expensive but never covers anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you Cookie for that explanation. Live in Lou-zee-ana, but work in MS and our company insurance is self funded; don't know how that's going to work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123