How's everyone doing on preps?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How's everyone doing on preps?

Just wondering if the new year brought on any fires to get things done with preps. I decided that I need to get a list of things I am missing and really get to work on filling the gaps. I need to get my bob in my car better prepared. I have no sleeping bag or tent. I need more hygiene items etc. Since I am the only one working 44 miles from home I figure it will be a little easier for us to spend the money on one person's preps for vehicle. The kids are rarely with me nowadays. Happy prepping.
    Debt repayment

cc#1 -5,465.31
    cc#2 -5,134.00
    House- 86,970.51/51,037.82
    Student Loans- 35,545.84/13,500.00

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to take a good inventory of what we have and then fill in on things we are missing too! I know water is a big concern for me, need to really stock up on that! I'm also working on adding items to the kitchen that don't require electricity in the event we don't have it. Dh is also trying to find a few basic but very needed tools that won't require electricity as well. One of our big purchases for this year will be a generator. I'm also working on 72 hour kits for my kids that they can keep in their cars.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need to start from scratch...basically I need to stock up on basics first...food, toiletries, etc....my stockpile is depleted, money has been tight and we only have what we need for right now...my goal is once things loosen up with the money situation, to get a good stockpile in place...then go from there on emergency supplies, such as candles, extra water and things of that nature. We actually have a store about 15 minutes from our house that is a emergency supply/preppers store...I have yet to visit it

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got way too much prep in my car. I seriously have to go through it and get it organized. In the house, we're working on tornado prep - getting together a bin of basics we need if a siren goes off - water, leashes for the dogs, helmets, gloves, coats, sturdy shoes, etc.

Food storage is going well. I'm doing the "when I need one, buy two" system so that is helping. I'm still lacking organization but I'm working on that this month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never really had a designated survival kits before but this fall I got my act together and made one for my home and one for each of my young adult children. I still need to add to the kits but at least we have a lot of the basics including 3 days worth of food, cooking bags so we can heat water and canned food without fire, glow sticks, a solar/crank radio, flashlight and cellphone charger combo, a thermos, can opener, utensils, plastic dinnerware, emergency blankets, and much more. There are still a few more things that I want to add to each kit. Many of these items can be stocking stuffers. I also want to work on smaller bags for in each of our cars.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok another new year and time to work on preps again. Our finances are doing a little better this year. (Keeping my fingers crossed) I should be able to work on getting everything done with my car preps the way I want to. Then I will move on to the house preps. I need a bag that I would actually be able to haul home (44miles) if I wouldn't be able to drive my car for some reason.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've been expecting a power failure for a while. Three major blizzards on one week, and another foot of snow with no wind today! Luckily, the power stayed on. But we have lots of bottled water in the pantry, as well as a couple of full buckets on hand for flushing. Once they are used, we'll melt snow. We have a full winter's supply of firewood in the attached garage, so heat is no problem. There's lots of food in the house.

We are starting to run low on dog food. Normally, we keep more on hand, but we've been trying to transition the hound to a different food, and we don't want to stock up too much yet until we know she will tolerate it. It looks like we might have a break in the weather soon, with a couple of backup opportunities, to go get some more.The supplier is an hour's drive away, over a road that is bad in winter.

Getting out of the driveway was looking dicey for a while: our plowing contractor let us down. We have switched to a different contractor, and he is keeping up with the snow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got my snow rakes and 36 gallons of drinking water for us. I need to dump and refill the dogs water storage.The generator is primed. We have some cash-bills and coin. And DH did an overhaul for winter on the snow blower. We have been blessed w/no outs too.

The van goes in tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in a milder climate than most of you. We don't get snow, but we do have to prepared for earthquakes and flooding. Today I will refill my five gallon water jugs. I have two of them. I also keep recycled juice bottles filled with water for the dogs. I use a Britta pitcher with a filter.

I keep plenty of food in the house, but I am running low on dog food. My boyfriend and I will stop at Costco tomorrow and pick up a large bag of it. They had milk bone dog biscuits on sale last time I was there. I bought a huge box of them, so we're set with those.

I've got a freezer full of persimmons, and my citrus trees are loaded with fruit. I try to keep plenty of cash on hand, as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're pretty good but for medical. I realized I need supplies for feminine issues. Not pads (done with that!) but other issues.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just rampaged Aldis.
    Got about 12 cases of asst. veg and some fruit. I am dieting and am going for the fruit and veg more. Plus winter soups.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my preps have preps at this point. We eat out of the pantry/freezer almost exclusively.
    Still no new upright freezer but the cube is tweaked and full.
    Still rotating/tossing/cleaning the shelves of the big pantry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a bin in the basement, not much, I know, but a bin in the basement with some canned food, a first aid kit, batteries, a lantern, etc.

I'm wondering...should I swap out those canned goods for fresher ones? Use the ones I have down there?

Do you guys rotate your stockpiles/prep materials? How often? Same goes for batteries, I suppose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast