Adding more Fruit trees and preserving meat..
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Adding more Fruit trees and preserving meat..

I just bought 4-more fruit trees to add to my fruit orchard today..I now have 4-apple trees...5-peach trees...3-pear trees...2-plum..2- sour cherry trees....1-sweet cherry tree and 1-mulberry tree (did have 2- but one broke from a storm)..I need to buy another sweet cherry to pollinate my other sweet cherry tree..ugh..I didn't know that until today.

Can't believe that 80/20 hamburger went on sale again for $2.50 a lb! I really thought I would never see that price again with beef prices skyrocketing..I bought roughly 35 lbs (so far) that I'm going to can..I just tried my home canned Taco meat for the first time last week ( I canned it last April) and it was AWESOME...I love it! So I decided that Im definitely going to can more..such a convience for a quick meal..

Going to try for the first time canning just hamburger..I can use it for dirty rice,hamburger helper and layered cabbage (same as stuffed cabbage but layered)..

I also bought several heads of cabbage that Im going to dehydrate..( I often don't have fresh on hand) again this is a first for me.I read that once its hydrated in foods like corned beef that you cant tell the difference between the fresh and dehydrated...so Im thinking it will be good in the layered cabbage.

Its a good feeling to add a little more security to growing edibles and preserving food ling term..

What about you?
    Last edited by brenda67; 03-30-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

$2.50 for burger is a good price here too.... but I haven't seen it.

I've pressure canned shredded cabbage before and it needs a little zing when eaten. I've been adding a dash of vinegar to mine but I think the pickling spices in the corned beef would work just as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been thinking of adding more fruit trees...I currently have 4 apple 2 peach and a plum
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    $2.50 for burger is a good price here too.... but I haven't seen it.

I've pressure canned shredded cabbage before and it needs a little zing when eaten. I've been adding a dash of vinegar to mine but I think the pickling spices in the corned beef would work just as well.
    The sale is at Shoprite..not sure if you have that store in your area.

I canned Cole Slaw..not the same I know ... it was horrible in my opinion so I don't think I will can anything with cabbage again..but thank you for the suggestion...I need to use my remaining canning jars for canning meat.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larabelle View Post
    I have been thinking of adding more fruit trees...I currently have 4 apple 2 peach and a plum
    Please dont question planting more fruit trees and any other perennials that are edible..I preach this to anyone whom will listen!

You are in better shape than most by having no mortgage..WTG..( hope Im in the same boat in 5-years) I know its just you to provide for but you could sell or give away any extra food you don't need or want.

Its a GREAT feeling to grow your own food!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WTG! I love having fruit trees, bushes, etc.

We have more than 20 apple trees and all but one of them are seedlings! We planted a Golden Delicious and a Winesap 30 years ago. The Golden died not long after. These seedling trees probably came from rotten apples that washed down the creek from the family's apple orchard just up the creek from us. They had/have several varieties from decades ago. All our trees are different and all very good except one. It's beautiful in the spring but the apples aren't very tasty! Some are summer apples, most are fall. some are good keepers. One is so sour you can't eat it when we pick them in October. Now, kept in the root cellar all winter, they are really good, still juicy and firm but sweet.

I want an Enterprise apple. Our neighbor has one and always gives us the apples. It's very disease resistant and is a good keeper. Good tasting too.

We have planted many cherry trees and they keep dying! Right now we have 3 alive but the birds always get what little fruit they have. We have an old pear, planted the same time as our Winesap apple. It is delicious. We have some younger pears and some plums. We rarely get any plums; spring frosts always get them. We're in a frost pocket.

We have blueberries, grapes, hardy kiwis, blackberries. I have tried for 3 years to grow strawberries and can't seem to. I'm not giving up though! Oh, we also have gooseberries. They are not legal in some states.

We have a seedling peach too. The first year it had fruit it was nasty. Every year it gets sweeter and juicier!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    WTG! I love having fruit trees, bushes, etc.

We have more than 20 apple trees and all but one of them are seedlings! We planted a Golden Delicious and a Winesap 30 years ago. The Golden died not long after. These seedling trees probably came from rotten apples that washed down the creek from the family's apple orchard just up the creek from us. They had/have several varieties from decades ago. All our trees are different and all very good except one. It's beautiful in the spring but the apples aren't very tasty! Some are summer apples, most are fall. some are good keepers. One is so sour you can't eat it when we pick them in October. Now, kept in the root cellar all winter, they are really good, still juicy and firm but sweet.

I want an Enterprise apple. Our neighbor has one and always gives us the apples. It's very disease resistant and is a good keeper. Good tasting too.

We have planted many cherry trees and they keep dying! Right now we have 3 alive but the birds always get what little fruit they have. We have an old pear, planted the same time as our Winesap apple. It is delicious. We have some younger pears and some plums. We rarely get any plums; spring frosts always get them. We're in a frost pocket.

We have blueberries, grapes, hardy kiwis, blackberries. I have tried for 3 years to grow strawberries and can't seem to. I'm not giving up though! Oh, we also have gooseberries. They are not legal in some states.

We have a seedling peach too. The first year it had fruit it was nasty. Every year it gets sweeter and juicier!
    OMG..I would be in heaven living on property how friggin awesome!

I bought all mine from a Nursery..would of loved to had grown all mine from seed.

I also planted strawberries,blackberries raspberries,blueberries,juneberry and elderberry.

Planted grape vines,rhubarb,asparagus,mint and herb garden.

I add more (and learn) to grow perennial foods every year.

I love reading about people that are of the same mindset..I only know of a few lawns in several towns that Ive traveled through that have grow any kind of fruit tree or berry bush even in my area..they want that well manicured lawn with some flowers thrown in here and there..

I would rather buy/plant a (perennial) edible food then buy myself clothes ( unless absolutely needed),jewelry,pedicure,manicure,ect..thats going to feed my family any day over stuff.

A matter of fact the fruit trees I just told you about is my Birthday present.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda, you said, "I would rather buy/plant a (perennial) edible food then buy myself clothes ( unless absolutely needed),jewelry,pedicure,manicure,ect..thats going to feed my family any day over stuff."

I agree 100%!! This is what I get for birthdays and anniversaries too.

We didn't plant any of those seedling apples! We worked "on the road" for 15 years and the apple trees just sprouted up and we never had time to deal with them. In 1997, DH was injured on the job and in spring of '98, we came home for good. We had all these mature, fruit-bearing apple trees and the amazing thing was that 10 or 11 of them are lined up in two rows in the back pasture! So we turned that into an orchard and planted 3 pear trees, Bartlett, Ayers, and an Asian pear Hosui. We also had my cousin move a small apple tree with his backhoe and put it here. It survived and thrived. Then we have more scattered around the property. DH and DS prune them in late winter but they have not yet got around to pruning them all. They've had to do extensive work on them because of being years old and having nothing done to them for so long.

Our old pear and Winesap apple are in the front yard plus another seedling apple, a young pear and the 6 plum trees.

Two years ago, I bought 8 Jewel black raspberries and a niece gave me 6 Fall Gold raspberries. Because you are not supposed to plant blacks and reds near each other (reds carry a virus that kills blacks and purples) and golds are actually reds, DH can't decide where I can make my raspberry patch, I am worried that they died during this very cold winter because they are just in pots buried in a pile of sawdust. IF they are alive, this needs to be the spring that we get this figured out!

I love reading your posts about all your fruit and edibles! Asparagus is another thing I'm trying and not doing to well with. Our soil is too acid and I keep forgetting to put lime on it and then I can't keep it weeded like it should be. This year I hope to mulch my patch. We got two big dump truck loads of wood chips last year from DOT trimming the roads nearby, for free!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda67 and daylily, I hope you realize what a treat it is for someone like me to read your posts about your properties and all the foods you are growing. I am literally trying to picture it all in my mind. LOL. You are both so blessed to have those awesome properties! Please keep posting about what you are growing and preserving!

On the cabbage note, I recently made homemade kimchi and it turned out SO GREAT. When we move and I am able to garden I will definitely be growing some napa cabbage. Also, I have "pickled" green cabbage...just vinegar, water, cabbage, salt and red pepper flakes. I don't process it at all...just put it in the jar and leave it. I do the same thing with daikon and carrots. My dh LOVES this stuff! I talked with our friends from Bulgaria last night about how they make sauekraut and I want to try it. He said if you are in the US you can use savoy cabbage and it will be more similar to what they use in Bulgaria because it is more tender than the green cabbage we have here.

daylily, I have a wonderful book called "Old Southern Apples". It is about the old southern varieties that used to grow all through the South but sadly many have nearly or completely disappeared. It is a fascinating book and you might find it a good resource for identifying and learning about some of your old more obscure varieties. I bought mine on Amazon. It is pricey but worth EVERY penny. I am not at a place(presently) where I can receive apple trees as a birthday or Christmas present but this book was from a Christmas gift card. LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hiraeth, that sounds like a fascinating book! I'll have to look on Amazon.

A friend "just across the hill" has a tree and shrub nursery. He has grafted some heirloom apple varieties on semi-dwarf rootstock. That's where we bought our pear trees last year. I would like to get a Virginia Beauty apple tree. DS has grafted some VB's onto one of our seedlings but a whole tree would be nice! My mom's neighbor has an orchard that her parents planted and she is 93! Her son is trying to revive it but some of the trees are just too old. They were pleased to give DS cuttings a couple of years ago. I think some of each variety "took". A cousin has a Banana apple that we want to get cuttings from too. One of our seedlings has the banana fragrance but not so much the taste.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    hiraeth, that sounds like a fascinating book! I'll have to look on Amazon.

A friend "just across the hill" has a tree and shrub nursery. He has grafted some heirloom apple varieties on semi-dwarf rootstock. That's where we bought our pear trees last year. I would like to get a Virginia Beauty apple tree. DS has grafted some VB's onto one of our seedlings but a whole tree would be nice! My mom's neighbor has an orchard that her parents planted and she is 93! Her son is trying to revive it but some of the trees are just too old. They were pleased to give DS cuttings a couple of years ago. I think some of each variety "took". A cousin has a Banana apple that we want to get cuttings from too. One of our seedlings has the banana fragrance but not so much the taste.
    It is so encouraging to hear that others are interested in reviving and saving some of the old and often nearly extinct varieties. Btw, Century Farm Orchard in NC has many of the old Southern varieties. They also might be able to help your mom's neighbor's son in his efforts to save their family orchard. Thank you! I LOVE hearing about these old varieties!!!