Found This On A SERIOUS Prepper Site. Very Interesting
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Found This On A SERIOUS Prepper Site. Very Interesting

I was on a prepper site and found this link which I went to and will post but you have to register to be able to read it. Below it was an old time farmer and his opinion of the article which is what I, myself, found interesting. Many things I didn't know but a lot of you probably do. For those of us who didn't here it is. Definitely worth the read.

This is the facebook page for the prepper site. It's an open site anyone can read.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/P2T-P...35198749987711

http://homesteadingandprepping.com/l...k-for-preppers

This is the old time farmers views on the article in the link above....other farmers agreed.

I read this, and I don't think who ever wrote it, farms. 1) you can feed 11 goats for what 1 cow will eat, you have to breed that

cow in order for her to give milk, that takes a bull. Thats 22 goats that give 2 gallons of milk a day, thats 44 gallons of milk a

day vs 4 gallons a day. Not very land savvy and why other countries rely on sheep and goats for milk and cheese not cows.

Cattle are luxury items if you can afford them. Pigs.. REALLY! sure if you have strong fences and want everything you own torn

up. Not to mention they are hard to reproduce. Sows lay on their pigs and kill them with out care, thats why wild pigs are not

seen with 16 pigglets they are seen with 2-5, they killed the others. Again, pretty expensive for the feed and total time suckers.

Horses. Goats can do the draft work of ponies and allot of fire wood hauled in or garden space plowed. Horses eat allot, they

drink allot, they tear down allot, and they injure people.. allot. Im an old cowboy and I swear by my horse IF and only IF and

when there is a reason for one. On a farm stead, is not the reason. Yes cows give milk, pigs are meat and fat, horses are

transportation, but.. at what cost? Then.. he talks about rabbits. Yes rabbits are good protein but have no viable fat, also they

eat like pigs and have worms, so you can't butcher them unless its below freezing out side or you will get sick and die if they

have ever been on the ground, or have eaten anything like grass from the ground. Im assuming under these conditions you

won't be buying pre made rabbit food. Goats are milk cheese, meat, draft animals and hide. Sheep are wool ( water proof and

fire resistant clothing that is super warm) meat, cheese and yogurt. Poultry can open graze, you can't go wrong. Keep in mind

Turkeys will eat baby rabbits and other small animals, as will some breeds of ducks and geese. Muscovy ducks taste just like fine

beef. All poultry are expensive to feed in the winter unless they run with the sheep and eat their poop. Sorry to go on like this,

but not everything about farming, was written by people that actually farm, or have even owned animals. Sad to say, but true

Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very interesting! Thanks so much NikoSan!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read your post earlier today but did not have time to comment.

I understand where the old farmer is coming from. He likes goats. They are a interesting animal. And like he mentions, you can milk them and use them for meat animals. However in order to maintain them, they need a decent building and a good strong fence. And if you want babies, then one milk goat is not enough. You will need a male goat. Goats have to have a baby to stay milking. Two female goats would be good. Alternate them when they have babies so you always have a goat milking.

I grew up on a dairy farm. When my kids were little, we had chickens, rabbits, and I wanted a dairy goat. We got one. The biggest PITA animal I ever owned. She
    wanted to free range and and no fence could hold her in. When it was time to milk her, she would not stand still. A constant battle. When I dryed some onions from
    the garden on top of a old car out back of the house, she made lunch out of them. Never a dull moment. NEVER again will I own a goat. Once was bad enough.

During the depression if you lived in the country and had animals , you were well off. A lot of people had a few chickens and and some rabbits in the backyard.
    Food on the hoof.

I have chickens, which works for me. The roosters crow some, but the neighbors are 1/2 and 1/4 mile away in different directions. They can hear them sometimes, but
    so far, no one has ever complained. I have rabbits but they are in a building and don't make noise, so that's all under control. If I need meat, it's in my backyard.
    So far, all we have ate is some meat chickens. The regular egg layers are safe. I see more and more, people having a few chickens in their backyards. And I am now seeing more people looking for meat rabbits to breed. One of the good things about chickens and rabbits is that you can use their manure in your garden. A nice fringe benefit. Rabbits are a very clean animal. You keep them in cages. Their main diet is pellets, hay, and water. After I watch what chickens eat, and
    peck through, it's a real turnoff.

You keep what animals will work for you, and make you happy.
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 04-03-2014 at 08:18 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The farmer response is interesting! I don't farm yet. The most we had was chickens, ducks (Muscovy which do taste amazing but are such a pain to clean..all ducks are.) We want (after years of research) pigs, turkeys, chickens, rabbits, and a cow. This is just what we think will work best for our family.

I think it's not so much they don't farm, it's they have different land/family needs from one another. What works for me might not work for others!
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!