how to keep an emergancy kit in the car
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default how to keep an emergancy kit in the car

I just got a Subaru outback which will be much better for me to get back and forth to work in the winter with but i'm not sure how to keep everything in the cargo area. it's a hatch back and the cargo area is open to the back seat so i'm worried about stuff flying around. It has a large rubber mat that covers the floor of the cargo area so everything slides around a lot too. Any suggestions on how to keep a stuff secure without spending a bunch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a large Cordura (pack cloth) duffel bag at a garage sale for our stuff. It holds an oversize winter parka that can be worn over other winter outerwear for extra layering and other emergency stuff such as a sleeping bag and snow pants.

A wheeled bag for football or ice hockey gear would work too. I picked up one to use for a tent bag for $3. Just keep an eye out for large bags at thrift stores and garage sales. A big, cheap suitcase would work, too.

If you can't find one large bag, get two or three that would carry everything you want them to. Throw a tarp over them in the back of the car so they're less of a target for theft. If you don't use your back seat much, the gear bags could go between the front and back seats where they might be a little less obvious. If you go that route, select the size of the bags accordingly.

You could also use black trash bags for the soft stuff that wouldn't tear them. Those might be less of a theft target than a duffel, because any would-be thief might assume you're hauling out some actual trash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok just checking if I got this right. You have stuff that can shift from the cargo area to the passenger area, under the chairs? or over the chairs? Just asking because even after looking up I don't really understand. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

it can't get under the seats i'm more worried about it coming over if i had to quick as it's pretty common for me to see deer in the road while driving

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I think I misunderstood the question.

In that case, I'd put it between the seats on the floor. If it's in duffels, it's fairly easy to move stuff to the cargo area as needed. If you don't roll the car, though, anything below the seat back might slide but shouldn't come over the top of the seat.

There are also covers available that would stretch from the back of the back seat to the lift gate. I'm not sure what they're called. They're a good idea just to keep prying eyes from seeing whether anything is in the cargo area that might be worth busting out a window to get at it. I'm not sure how much they'd do to keep cargo in place.

There are also pet gates that would block off the passenger area from the cargo area. Of course they're meant to contain pets, but some cargo vans use barriers to keep cargo from flying up into the driver's area so a pet gate would be a similar concept in a passenger car.

Are you sure stuff will slide in the back area with the mat in it? Our truck has a mat in the box and it's so non-slippery we had to put some carpet in the back just to be able to slide our coolers out onto the tailgate. NOTHING moves back there without the carpet in place, and in the thousands of miles we've driven that truck full of cargo, that carpet has never moved a fraction of an inch since it's sitting on the mat.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I had open hatchback cars I kept stuff in old milk crates and used bungee cords with hooks as necessary to tie them down. There should be some kind of tie down points back there. You can get bungee hooks for a couple of bucks from almost any hardware store in various lengths. They are generally useful to have in a car.

Stuff usually won't fly over the back seat of a car unless it is already resting on the seat (like if you were carrying lumber or skis inside the cabin).
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used totes with lids and used bungee cords to hold them in...one around the side and one over the top, attached to the various hooks back there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you want to be clandestine, put the stuff in a cooler. No one breaks into a car to get into a cooler. I put my computer in a large cooler when I want to take it with me but have the car that doesn't have a trunk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i hadn't thought of bungee cords, i think those will be perfect. The cooler is a great idea too. thanks everyone

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cut a piece of long pile carpet and lay in there, things won't slide as easy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ended up getting a; trunk organizer and used a couple of mini bungy cords to attach to a couple of tie down pints in the back. SO far its holding everything in place even with all the jerky starts i have still learning a standard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son had a problem with driving a stick when he was a new driver. I watched him and finally realized he was letting out the clutch quickly once the car started moving. Once I got him to let the clutch out slowly, he never had a problem after that. Might be worth a try if you're doing the same.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son had a problem with driving a stick when he was a new driver. I watched him and finally realized he was letting out the clutch quickly once the car started moving. Once I got him to let the clutch out slowly, he never had a problem after that. Might be worth a try if you're doing the same.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i'm doing better now, still stalling it once in while mostly when i'm starting on a hill. Just realized today going through the owners manual the Vehicle Dynamics Control effects how the car goes from a dead stop to moving forward on a hill, once i turned it off it's been easier.