How prepared are you?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question How prepared are you?

We have all heard the news of what happened to many parts of the States and most of Ontario yesterday and continues today and in some cases may continue for awhile.

How prepared are you for situations like this? Do you have a generator? Do you have food supplies, medical supplies, batteries and flashlights? Water stored? Etc., etc.

Have you ever been in this type of situation before and were you at the time of the emergency prepared?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are somewhat prepared. We have a motorhome that has a generator and it has a refrigerator and stove, bathroom and all the conveniences so we could stay in it if the electricity was off for an extended time. We try to keep both gas tanks full so if we were frugal with the running of the generator we could use it for quite some time.

I hope that the power is back on soon for all those affected by the outages.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a generator but unfortunately(for some wierd reason) it won't do the freezer which is one of the major reasons we got it.
    It should be able to do it.
    We have 3 propane stoves2 grills,food, med supplies, radio,flashlight & extra batteries,radio transiever (dh& dd both have amatuer radio lic.)extra gas, propane,wood,charcoal....We're pretty self suffeciant

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob Karla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We could use our camper, it has ref/stove restroom, but we are Not prepared...everyone should have at least a 72 hr survival kit...we don't.
    We do need to become better prepared for these type of emergencies.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not as prepared as I would like to be. We don't have a generator. I have water and lots of food. Need to stock more medical supplies and am running low on oil for the lamps. It sure does make you think though..........we were without power here again today for about 4 hours. They are "rotating" power from area to area as they only have so much to distribute.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are prepared in every area (water/supplies/medical, BOB's/ cooking, etc.) except the generator. We looked at them last year but didn't buy one .. you can bet we will now. With that we'll be as ready as we can be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm asking this because this was predicted to happen and most experts say it will continue to happen as cities get larger and larger and we demand more and more power!!!

We have a generator but it doesn't work. Dh will be fixing it shortly. We still aren't as prepared as we want to be though.

I think most of use think "it won't happen to us". We now know that these types of emergency can happen to millions!!!!

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are SO right CJ, I think this is just the beginning. I was going through some books that I had stored and right on the top of one box was one called "Emergency Preparedness: Are you ready??" I have been reading in under a nice shade tree this afternoon.........I have a ways to go..........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have a generator either, but our neighbors do and we all pull together in crisis. I have plenty of canned goods, medical supplies, propane to cook with and flashlights! I still need to add more water and get more batteries (DH is stopping to gt some after work today). For the winter, we have lots of extra blankets and sleeping bags and friends with wood burning stoves!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We aren't prepared at all! This is kind of scary after everything that is going on......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are pretty much prepared except I need to stock up more on bottled water and we are discussing a generator (actually dh is thinking about an inverter/battery something or other that he can put together himself? he's always coming up with do-it-yourself type stuff). I've always kept a small stock of emergency type stuff since we have been married because I remember when I was about 13 or 14 we had a really bad ice storm and were without power for several days, thankfully my parents were pretty well stocked on stuff. And in '93 we had a blizzard here and I've kept even more stuff in stock since then. When you live out in the country I guess you just tend to prepare more especially in the winter months when ice and snow can keep you stranded from getting to stores and stuff for days or even weeks. With all the things that are happening in the world I stay stocked all year now, not just for winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have lots of can good, pasta ect.i have a portable grill and 1 gal of water or 2.and soda,juice ,carackers ect. lots of batteries,candles.

we are not prepared, example we have no had can opener(will be buying one) and no camper(wish we did)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We don't have a generator, but are pretty much prepared otherwise. I'd lose everything in my freezer (what I couldn't get thawed and canned quickly at least).

We have propane for cooking, also have a grill, buddy burners and solar oven for cooking outdoors. We have lots of wood and a wood stove that could be hooked up if needed as well.

We have a hand pump on one well and another well and a cistern that we could get water from if we open them up and bucket/rope dip the water up.

We have lots of canned and non perishable foods, lots of crochet/knitting projects, a piano, acoustic guitars, board games, books for entertainment. Oil lamps, candles, hand powered flashlights and radios.

Back in 1978 we had an icestorm on Good Friday that took down power lines over most of the state. We were without power for 2 weeks- I was a junior in HS at the time. My parents were prepared, so much so that we were disappointed when the power was restored. It did make me aware of the need to be prepared at all times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are perpared except for getting more water. We were without power for 4 days during the blizzard of '93 and with being on top of a mountain and having 39" of snow we were unable to get out anyway. We did have plenty of water then, but no generator. We have since got a generator and my husband says it is the best insurance we have against the power going out. I think it has been out twice for about 5 hours since.
    LOL But it is so easy to get slacked in being prepared when nothing happens for quite a while. I guess this was a wake up call for everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A generator is probably all we would need.....have to look into that...thanks for the thread, it really made me think( especially with this irradiation plant possibility)