Hurricane Jeanne diary - part 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hurricane Jeanne diary - part 2

Sept. 27th continued...

Dh got our generator running and we discovered our cable is out. Our cable did not go out with Hurricane Frances so we were able to watch tv compliments of the generator to keep track of the news and watch some shows that would make us laugh. Not having that this time is hard. We are desperate for news. We had a hard time finding any radio stations with news (for some reason reception is bad), but were able to get a local AM station tuned in. We waded down to the road and saw lots of trees down across the road a couple of properties north of us. The ditches were all overflowing and the opposite side of the road was flooded badly. We continued to have wind gusts throughout the day Sunday and it rained off and on. mom2knk called to check on us. What an angel she is!

Several vehicles had been up and down the road throughout the day and some people had been out walking. Around 4:30pm on Sunday we got brave (we had a bad case of cabin fever) and took a drive around a portion of our small town. We live along the river so we have the highway that runs along it along with 4 other 'major' roads in our town. Two of those run north south (we're on one of them) and the other two run east west. Lots of other paved and dirt roads run off of all of them. The trees had already been removed from the road (we're assuming the county did that since we had seen several of their vehicles throughout the day). Our entire town was flooded badly and there is definitely more damage this time around. One house on the main road south of us didn't have a bit of dry land. Another house looked like a tornado had hit and (and one may have). Roofs are damaged and falling in, screened porches and pool enclosures were ripped to shreds and tossed about everywhere, fencing is down, trees are uprooted, etc. We drove down the river highway between the 2 major east west roads in our town and all the power poles on it are leaning, snapped in half, or down. The lane right beside the river had been washed out in portions. A section of the southbound lane of our road (a couple of miles north of our house) was collapsed in.

We checked the electricity and cable when we got home and neither worked. That didn't really surprise us though. On a positive note though, none of the other power poles or lines in our town are down or appear damaged other than those immediately along the river. Static on our telephone was getting really bad though. We listened to the radio a bit more and watched a dvd from the library as our evening entertainment (compliments of the generator supplying the power).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kim as I read more of your journey through this hurricane, it just blows me away as to what everyone went through. I watched the news and seen pictures of the devastation.

All I can say is thank God your family is okay. As I watched some of the older people on the news, my heart just ached for them knowing they may not ever be able to recover all they lost.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh Kim, I'm just so sorry you went thru all this, you and everyone else affected by all these storms. Praying for peace in the weather up ahead.