Hurricane Jeanne diary - part 3

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hurricane Jeanne diary - part 3

Monday, Sept. 27th...

I recorded yesterday's events today and now I'm journalling today's.

Not a good night's sleep. We moved ds's mattress into the living room and he and I shared it and dh took the sofa (as we did with Frances). We don't have all the plywood down yet, so this is the coolest thing for us to do. We had the living room windows and dining room window open last night. Thankfully it was a cool night and we were just fine like that. With electricity out everywhere who knows when the gas stations will be up and running so we turned the generator off last night to conserve gas. We still do not have electricity or cable this morning and now our telephone is out as well. The early morning was cool (74 degrees), but now it is really starting to warm up (9:30am) and it's getting hot in the house. As I write this I am on what seems eternal hold with the telephone company customer service to report the land line telephone being out. Thank goodness for cell phones! We have also lost reception to the radio station we've been listening to for local news. One minute it was working and then there was silence. We can pick up some other stations, but they are from the Orlando area or the 2 counties below us so they are no help. We did hear before losing the station that we are supposed to go to FPL's website (electric company) for up to date information on power restoration. That's a very stupid statement - how are we supposed to check the website with no electricity or cable for Internet access????? Good grief! Just one more thing to add to the growing list of my gripes with FPL.

10AM... I just spoke to customer service at the telephone co. and was advised that there has been a cable failure for the system. They are giving a date of Oct. 27th for restoration.

We are under boil water alert because we have a well and because of all the flooding. Our well head is still covered by flood water this morning. Some water has gone down in the driveway, but not much and that's the only place it's gone down.

Our power transformer does not appear to be damaged this time as it was with Frances. Dh spoke to friends of ours that live 8 or so miles further inland than us and they lost power at the exact same time as us. That seems a little too coincidental and we know they are not on the same grid as us. It's almost as if FPL shut down the power just minutes after confirmed landfall was made.

Ds is watching one of his dvd's and I am going to start moving things back outside from the utility room and garage.

7:45pm... Dh worked in the late morning and early afternoon using the chainsaw to cut as many huge limbs as he could out of the oak that's about to uproot. Hopefully making it a little less top heavy will keep it from falling. He and I got the logs carried out to the road for yard waste recycling pickup. The ditch by the road is still overflowing so there's no room for the limbs and branches though. We just have those piled up in an area of the yard. A man in a truck stopped and asked if he could have the logs for firewood and we told him sure. He said his wife would be very appreciative. He already had almost a whole truck full. We have more to cut and will have to take some other trees down unfortunately so we'll have plenty of firewood for ourselves later on.

Pond fish are swimming around in the water everywhere - all around our feet as we wade down the driveway to the road and they are even in the backyard around the lemon tree. Our friends that we spoke to yesterday were supposed to call us today and didn't. We called them this afternoon and they had their electricity restored this morning. They did this to us with Frances as well. It's as if they are afraid for us to know they have electricity for fear we might want to come over or something. We went over the day we got back from evacuating for Frances to let them know we'd made it home since telephones were out and cell phones were jammed. They talked to us in their driveway and ds had to use the restroom. They ignored his pleas to use the bathroom, but finally after he started screaming he couldn't hold it reluctantly agreed to let him go. I don't understand them. We've found out how 'true' our friends here are, and unfortunately none of them have measured up very well in my eyes. I see these things as a huge opportunity to come together and help each other out and that hasn't been the case for us at all.

We did get the radio station back on the air. Not sure why they went out. Around lunchtime we ventured to the nearest comfort center. It was supposed to open at noon and didn't - the supply trucks got sent to Miami instead of here. We were told to come back after 4:30pm and we did. We sat in line for an hour. This particular comfort station is in Barefoot Bay which is just south of us. It's comprised entirely of retirees in mobile homes. The damage there is unreal. There's no way to describe it. We were given some water and ice. We do have a stockpile of both, but are going through it quickly since we are under boil water alert and have to use bottled water for everything.... bathing, dishes, drinking, water for the dogs and cat, brushing our teeth, washing our hands, etc. On our way home we did see an FPL truck on the main road to the south of us in our town. As of this evening though we still don't have electricity.

mom2knk called again today. It has been great talking to her and she got some info for me off our newspaper website.

The destruction down the river highway is horrid. Boats were slung up out of the river and into the highway and into yards across the highway, homes and small businesses are completely blown apart, roofs are half gone, huge chunks of debris are scattered everywhere, and the lane right along the river has huge washed out spots in various places all the way from our town down to the county line. Thankfully we are able to safely travel the interior northbound lane to get home that way instead of having to take a very long route home that takes us inland.

We are definitely blessed to have as little damage as we do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kim thanks for sharing your journey with us. Again, I'm just so thankful your home remained intact.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh Kim, my heart really goes out to you guys during this extremely difficult time.
    I hope that things get back to "normal" soon for you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What awful devistation. I am thankful you and your family remained safe through it all.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't believe your "friends" were so unfriendly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kim I'm so sorry you've had all this to go thru again and again. I'm doubly sorry about finding out your friend's true nature. At least you know now they can't be counted on and you can cut losses and move on.

You've had so much lately.

HUGS honey and lots of prayer for safety, and rebuilding your home, your life, your friendships on a secure footing.

thanks for sharing your journal with us.

Every morning I've been watching the weather news with dh before he leaves for work, wondering how you are doing.

God bless you as you rebuild, and as you begin homeschooling and a normal routine again.