Hurricane Jeanne diary - part 4

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hurricane Jeanne diary - part 4

Tues., Sept. 28th...

Still no electricity, cable, or telephone this morning. We've heard on the radio that the problem with the telephone is due to there not being any electricity. We had immediate service after the hurricane due to battery backup. When the batteries ran out we lost service. The telephone co. is supposed to be bringing in generators to run into the service boxes (or whatever they are called). We did notice a generator hooked into a set of service boxes at the end of our road yesterday, but obviously we are not tied into that one even though it's the closest one to us.

We sat down this morning and added up dh's lost wages from Hurricane Frances. We knew it was a lot, but our jaws hit the floor. He was supposed to have worked this past Sat. for half a day and on Sun. for half a day. Both would have been overtime. He missed yesterday and is missing today. This is killing us. It's killing everyone here who is not a salaried employee. He has tried to get in touch with his boss, but is unable to. He did finally get in touch with the after hours answering service late yesterday. They told him they had just gotten electricity restored. He told them to page him with any calls, but there haven't been any yet.

One thing I need to do is see what bills need to be paid. That doesn't go away. We'll drop them by the post office when we go out today since the mail is running.

We're still eating the food I made Sat. before the storm hit. I can use the microwave (compliments of the generator) to heat things, but have to make sure nothing else is turned on at the same time. I think ds has eaten pancakes for every meal and every time he tells me they are the best pancakes ever. Bless his heart though, he tells me that every time I make pancakes.

7pm... Ds hasn't eaten well today. I think the heat is really keeping his appetite down today. Not that he normally is a big eater anyway.

Our telephone came back on late this morning, but we still have huge static issues making it pretty much impossible to use. Generators are now hooked up to all the service boxes along our road.

Yesterday while waiting in line at the comfort care center in Barefoot Bay, we saw about 10 fire vehicles full of firemen going into a closed section of the community. We heard today that those were search and rescue teams going to search for bodies (lots of people there refused to evacuate) and to search for anyone that may have become trapped by debris after returning home. That floored me. Fire squads are there from several counties.

Our property is still greatly flooded. Water has gone down a bit in the driveway again, but nowhere else. I discovered yesterday that some of our fencing is damaged. Flood water is preventing us from checking out the rest of it. We've tried calling FEMA disaster assistance today with no luck. We can get through, but then get a message saying all the operators are busy and to try back later.

Dh got through to FPL a couple of times this morning, but the operators have no info. We listened to the FPL press briefing on the radio today and our area has a restoration date of Tues., Oct. 12th (that's the date the last person will be restored). BUT that date is only good if they can get another 1,100 workers here from other states by this coming Sunday.

When we went out today, a crew of 6 FPL trucks were working just off our road north of us. We stopped and dh talked to one of the guys. He said they were working on the feeder lines.

Dh went out in his company vehicle later this afternoon in search of diesel for it and talked to some of the FPL crew twice more. It turns out they are FPL from Miami and they told him they are having trouble understanding our system here - it's not the same as in Miami. That makes no sense since it's the same company. You'd think everything would be the same. They aren't even sure where our main feeder lines are. One possibility is through a large wooded area of our town. Another possibility is along the river highway. They told dh they are going to try 'flipping the switch' around 6pm or 6:30pm and see what happens. Dh tried our main breaker at 6:45pm and we didn't have power. Dh has gone out again in search of diesel and since he has been gone the phone has rang twice (once each time) and there was a dial tone each time when I picked up. I don't know if that's related to the electric or not.

We went to the comfort center again today and called a woman that we heard on the radio that can't drive and doesn't have any ice or water. We were going to find out where she lives and take some to her, but when dh got her on the phone some people had already brought supplies to her. Dh said she was crying on the phone with him. I want so badly to help someone, but we don't know where help is needed. Maybe in the days ahead something will be revealed to us. Dh's co-worker is now homeless we found out today because his apartment was damaged. He has family here though so he doesn't need our help. This is the second person in dh's department of the company to lose his home (one co-worker lost his home during Frances and then ended up being laid off as well and hasn't been able to find work since).

Two bright notes today... we saw 4 manatees in the river today so that brought a smile to my face. We also got a reimbursement check from FEMA today for Hurricane Frances. We were given a little more than we expected and aren't sure how they calculated what we received. We're still in the hole from all this from lost wages and lost food, but this at least makes the hole smaller.

mom2knk and I talked today and she continues to be a big help by checking for info online for us. She also passes along well wishes from my "Internet friends" which really makes me feel good that so many people (people I don't even "know") care.

7:30PM... WE HAVE ELECTRICITY! Unfortunately ds thinks the cable is supposed to automatically be back on as well.

Well, what do you know! In an effort to prove to ds that the cable is still out I turned on the tv and the cable came on! LOL I guess he knew what he was talking about!!!!!

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kim, I continue to pray for y'all. You're such an inspiration, with all you've been through, you still want to help others. Bless you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kim Praying that everything will be restored abck to "normal" for you soon and that no more storms come your way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for sharing all of this with us Kim, I couldn't even imagine. You are in my thoughts as well as the rest of the people trying to deal with this huge devistating mess. Take care & wishing you strength.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kim you are indeed an inspiration to all of us. I just can't imagine going through what you had to go through and yet you've remained positive and tried helping someone else in need.

That little guy of yours is quite the guy. Give him a huge hug from all the aunties here at the village.

Love ya friend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kim,

I'm still sending you prayers and big 's!