what have we learned about self-reliance

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default what have we learned about self-reliance

Let's say we all are stranded in our own homes with no power, no phone, and we are snowed in - can't get the cars out of the drive. How would you handle it ?? Would you be able to - do you have what you need on hand ?? Now we all know Cj could /would make it but what about the rest of us - Bethany you have to play too - even you all who are in the warmer states and areas where this wouldn't happen!! (this actually did happen to me and the kids two years ago - but it was only for three days  and it happened once before when the kids were 2,1, and Damon was a baby - But we used 4 wheelers to get out and went to Bob's parents so we really didn't deal with it.

So what would you do - how would you handle it? are you prepared if this ever does happen?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Id have to say "no" because our pellet stove's fan and auger motor is run by electricity. I have been telling hubby for years now that we need to get a back up battery power pack for it. if we had that or a generator we could make it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It happened to us In 1999 in NC kimmee, we faired quite well.

That is why we use Kerosene heat
    DH keeps the generator serviced
    Lots of candles and Streno
    Battery powered Flash lights and Radio
    Oil Lamps w oil
    Propane in the grill
    Lots of warm blankets and quilts, long johns, sweaters, slippers etc... to help ward off the cold.
    Canned foods with pull tops are kept on hand for just such a case (no dishes to be washed)
    Plastic flatware, plastic cups
    Board games, cards, hand helds and books for entertainment.
    extra bags of Ice in freezer to keep things cold.

I think we are ready for just about any type of "emergency from Nature" Notice I said JUST ABOUT.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This happened to us this year twice in the form of 2 different hurricanes! Although we could get out and drive around after the all clear was given, we were still without electricity for almost 2 weeks the first time and for about 3 days the second time.

We had plenty of canned items on hand and plenty of water for us and the dogs. We could cook on the grill, but the first time it was just too hot outside to comfortably do so, so we ended up eating a lot of MRE's that the Red Cross was giving out. We still have a good stockpile of those should we need them. We do have a generator, but are looking into getting a whole house generator (one that could run the a/c and water heater ). We had plenty of candles (it was really too hot to use them though - heated the living room up more than it already was), batteries, flashlights, etc.

We have cell phones, but they were hard to use sometimes (couldn't get a signal, would lose the signal in mid-conversation, lines were jammed, etc.). Our home phone is still messed up (static issues!) to this day! Our radio was a huge help - lots of info from a local station that way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good Girl!! We didn't have the ice in the freezer - I dug a hole in the six foot drift out back and put all of the stock up meat in that whole. I used sterno as well. We also didn't have water so I melted snow - now we always have bottled water. We didn't have kerosene but we had a wood burning huge fireplace. Now we have a huge kerosene heater as well. two things I will never be with out with little kids!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think yes we would be ok. I always have stockpiled water and canned goods. We would still have a heating source. We all have down comforters and we have plently of board games The only thing I would miss would be my computer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know I could survive for about 2 months without leaving my home, I might be able to stretch it to 3 months. I have enough flour, rice, dried pasta, chick peas, lentils, barley, canned food. I have tins of vegetables, baked beans and milk, as well and powdered milk. We have a rainwater tank full of water and a gas BBQ for cooking. There are 4 spare large bottles of gas. There is a creek in the backyard so we could wash if there was no running water.

We have oil lamps, candles, lots of matches, flashlights, spare batteries for the flashlight and radio. We have plenty of quilts and duvets if it's cold and I have a small wooden fan my sister sent me from Bali if it's hot (LOL), and I'm not sharing it. We have enough medication for Dh for 2 months.

We would eat the freezer food first, until we thought it wasn't wise to keep eating it. I have meat, chicken, fish and frozen vegetables from my garden in there. I have vegetables growing in the garden and chickens who lay eggs every day.

There are plenty of books and magazines here to read. I have needles and lots of thread for small repairs. DH has a garage full of tools, nails, wire, rope, glue and wood. We usually only keep enough chook feed for a month so they would have to freerange and find their own food and the dogs would eat whatever we had. The only concern I would have is for my cat, Miss Hettie Wainthrope, she would probably have to wander off and eat birds and lizards, and I'm sure she would survive, but she'd drive us all crazy with her constant meowing to be fed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We "survived" for 4 days in the Ice storm of '98 without power. We could not drive as the roads were sheer ice so we pretty much stayed put. Our fireplace kept the house warm enough so that the pipes would not freeze and we used water from our sump hole to flush the toilets when necessary. We always have bottled water here. We cooked on our barbeque and stored our cold stuff in a cooler packed with chunks of frozen ice/snow. Our biggest concern was for Josh who was completely dependant on electricity to run his medical equipment for his tube feedings. We had to improvise with gravity bags while a member of the military took his pumps down to the local community centre to be charged (they had huge generators their) Food was not a problem as I was well stocked. Another big concern is our sump pump. We paid $ 150 to have it pumped out then. Now we have a battery back up for it (we can charge it up with our car). Eventually we were evacuated as it was going to be another six to ten days before our power was restored and Josh wasn't coping well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just make sure though that Bethany doesn't have her electricity gone.

Some more questions to get you thinking.

~If you were taking medication, would you have enough?

~would you have enough medical supplies, such as band-aids, rubbing alchol, safety pins, tweezers and such?

~would you have pet supplies?

~would you have enough batteries for flashlights for night and battery operated radios?

~would you have enough water supply? This is vitally important!!

~would you have a hand operated can opener?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're good in all areas for a minimum of 3 months (but far more than that in some areas), except firewood and a generator and they both are on the top of my list to look into and get purchased.

Both DH and DD take injectibles that NEED refrigeration. We always have at least 3 months on hand of those and other meds/medical supplies/vitamins. Right now we'd rely on ice and a car cooler to keep the injectibles refrigerated if we had to, but for anything long term, a generator is a must.