Preps for barter?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Preps for barter?

I saw this mentioned on a site solely devoted to homesteading/preparedness type issues and was curious if any preppers here at FV do this as well. The person mentioned that she purposely is adding extra shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. to her preps to use for barter should that need ever arise. I have never thought of that when prepping - do any of you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kim, I've never even thought of that. I'm having enough trouble trying to prep for myself never mind prep to barter.

Wonder if it would really work when it comes to bartering. Hmmmm have to give that more thought.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had read this in an old money management book that advocated stockpiling a years worth of food/supplies. It mentioned stocking up on things like chocolate pudding mixes that could be "like gold" in trade to someone in the event of a crisis. If you think about it, there are lots of things that might be extra valuable -- depending on the nature of the crisis. I hadn't thought about personal supplies, that's a good idea.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've read having liquor to barter is very valuable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never thought of this either as I too have a hard enough time keeping enough supplies for just the two of us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm. here is but another reason to add to the gazillion bottles of free shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes and toothpaste that I have stockpiled. I can probably barter for all of us~

I only wish I could get my food stockpile as stocked as the personal items. The boys and my brother eat it as fast as I bring it in. I am seriously thinking of locking my stockpile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes we do-- it was recommended to me by some people prior to Y2K and made sense then, and I think it still does.

We stock extra TP, shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, bar soap, candles, playing cards, books and small games. We plan on using those for barter or just to share with our neighbors. Most of our community would eat well in a crisis, but might not fare so well in other areas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by mrscornbread
    Hmmm. here is but another reason to add to the gazillion bottles of free shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes and toothpaste that I have stockpiled. I can probably barter for all of us~

I only wish I could get my food stockpile as stocked as the personal items. The boys and my brother eat it as fast as I bring it in. I am seriously thinking of locking my stockpile.
    Do you watch the Bernie Mack show??? He was shopping stockpile food locking it in the shed, it was so funny!

I have H&B items mega stockpiled. Another reason to rationalize this to my hubby