Frugal Village Forums banner

Cash On Hand

Tags
cash hand
1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Valerie in WA 
#1 ·
Since ATMs can run out of money or lose power in a long term power outage or emergency I was wondering what everyone considers a good amount of money to keep stashed away?
I imagine it should go into a fireproof or resistant box or safe?

A weeks worth or more, or a certain amount in particular?

TIA for any tips :)

#2 ·
We keep our emergency cash in a fireproof safe. We've made sure to have small denominations, as well as one roll of quarters. I don't know if there are 'official' recommended amounts, but we just chose what we were comfortable with setting aside. We also considered that what we might need to purchase may only be available on some sort of grey market - i.e. the price would be grossly inflated.

This money isn't to pay your mortgage or your power bill. It's going to be for food or gas or medical supplies/medication. Your best bet is to already have on hand as much of those things as you can afford.

#3 ·
Thanks, Valerie. Good point about prices being high. I was thinking of needing cash especially if we'd have to leave the area for any reason, gas, necessities away from home, etc as well as everyday needs if we're able to be home.

Thanks again for the ideas :)

#4 ·
This really made me think!!! We never keep any cash at home. I'll need to talk to DH about this. Thanks ladies!!!!!

#5 ·
Please don't post amounts or places. This is a semi public place, and even though we are all comfy with each other, who knows who can see these threads.

Hugs all, just don't want anybody getting robbed or anything.

#6 ·
Call me Auntie Paranoia! ;-)

I may be wrong, I just can't remember which forums are viewable to the general public, and which aren't. Google spiders too.

#7 ·
You're not paranoid Margery. You'll notice I wasn't real specific.

I felt that cash on hand should be part of our disaster plan. Audrey you mention "everyday needs" and I'm not sure what you mean by that, but I would encourage you to work toward having enough of everything your household needs to last at LEAST a few days, better yet, two weeks. That usually means: WATER, food, medication, emergency medication, toilet paper, and half a tank or MORE of gasoline.

Sure you'll run out of milk, but if you have fresh water, you'll be fine. You may have powdered milk on hand, or you might have bottled juice also. Heck, I even have a bottle of Kahlua and a bottle of Rum in my set-aside-don't-touch-unless-it's-a-disaster area. For medicinal purposes only, of course. ;)

There are plenty of websites with info on what to stock up on.

As far as evacuation, I have a couple of rubbermaid totes ready to go into the van. They include sleeping bags, the campstove and some convenience foods (chili, ramen, tuna helper). Ideally, we would only need our cash for gasoline. And we wouldn't need that right away, as we ALWAYS keep a half-tank in both vehicles, plus we have two 5-gallon cans of gas stored.

#8 ·
Yes I have to agree its always good not to give more info than needed online.

Valerie, everyday needs I was thinking of were things like gas, hotel or long distance transportation (not via vehicle).

We've been pretty good with emergency prep, except for water, I dont have any stored. I tend to wait till I hear something (water main nreak, usually) then store water in food storage containers before they shut the water off.

Thanks again, youre right its so important to have goods on hand than.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.