How Do You Protect Your Families Financial Future?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How Do You Protect Your Families Financial Future?

We save our change and presently have about $500 in the change box. We stockpile food, toiletries and firewood. We contribute to a medical reimbursement fund at dh's job and are reimbursed a couple thousand a year after sending in our medical receipts. We save hotel and airline points and have enough for three round trip airline tickets in case we have to go out of town for an emergency. We save in dh's 401k (I'm presently unemployed) and could borrrow against this if we had to. We are building the equity in our home which could also be borrowed against.

Lately I've started adding small but regular amounts to various envelopes marked Pizza night, Carpet Cleaning, Car Repairs etc.We don't have a formal emergency fund or cushion set aside.
    Last edited by staceyy; 09-28-2007 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I forgot to add that I'm attempting to learn to garden ( I haven't been too successful), and I try to learn everything I can about frugality so I can free up more cash for bills and saving. Plus I pray a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like to keep a small amount of cash on hand, but I have been saving my change I haven't counted it though. I also collect gold items, these are great investments, but unless you find a deal I wouldn't buy gold now, it is at a 27 year high.I have found rings that were solid gold for as little as 2-4 dollars at thrift stores etc. I have also bought stuff that was marked 14k that was fake. I have sterling silver items,dishes silverware, that I could use in dire emergency. I have a bunch of solar flashlights, a filter that you can filter stream or even pool water for drinking. I am clearing my pantry of everything so hopefully no earthquake happens till after that.But normally I have 6 months of food stored. I also grow some of my own food.