How would you prepare for a financial depression? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So -- why aren't we doing these things now? Why are we waiting?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am not really worried about a depression. I would stockpile cash or household items if I was worried about loosing my job..I am more worried about a huge natural disaster like the supervolcano at yellowstone or the one in Indonesia blowing again, or some other natural disaster. I have been adding edible plants to my landscape. I have a water filter for the pool that makes the water safe for drinking. I have been working on clearing my pantry but am adding canned meats,canned soyburger and other dried foods. I would like to get some backup antibiotics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some more good ideas, gals!

Sunshine ... good question about why we're not doing this now.

I guess what I need to do to get the plan in action is to actually sit down and write everything out on paper and then to go from there.

Note to self: Get a notebook out this week and get started!

Marie, I wish I had a meager EF fund like yours [as ya can see, mine's even more meager! *lol*]

That's 'cuz I've had no self control in the past but I'm working on it!

Frugal: I guess I'd never heard of canned soyburger before. Where do you get it from?

I don't eat meat and am always looking for non-meat type of things to eat and I'd love to give this a try!

~*Jen*~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have some seventh day adventist friends. Check with their church they usually have a store or sometimes a truck comes and sells items.I have even bought items as the Adventist hospital thrift store when I worked there.They had good markdowns on bread etc. I do not like the artificial hot dogs or bacon. But i also get the boxed tofu as a storage item from the chinese store and also canned butter and corned beef. The soyburger I like is from Worthington foods. My family did not even know it wasn't hamburger.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You also may want to check into buying an adventist cookbook. They have great ideas for meatless meals. I like their casseroles. They have a Special K one that uses cottage cheese and eggs that is really good.Adventists can be strictly vegetarian or some eat fish and chicken. I also make a shredded zuchinni and egg patties when I have to many in the garden.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have already started our preparedness.

We have 15 chickens now. And probably get more in about 4-5 months. We also have 2 New Zealand White rabbits and will be getting a doe and buck from a different litter in about 6 weeks. Also a friend of dh's has a buck so that will bring in a new bloodline.

Have gotten plants already in ground and covered with hay. 3 sisters, potatoes, spinach, onions, horseradish, banana peppers. To plant later this month are tomatoes, more squash and 3 sisters, tomatoes, turnips, beets and sunflower seeds for the chickens and rabbits.

Dh when it is not raining has been bringing down deadfall off the ridge and stacking it for cutting up before winter. Nephew also has 15 acres so we are going to get from there and also a friend of ours has trees that he doesnt need so we get get more from there.

Buying from all the sales that we see. We are not gonna stop buying just because we have storage. We have family living in different parts of the east coast/south that would probably come here in an emergency and we need to make sure that we have enough. Especially for my mother who is 76 next month.

My main concern is medicines. Both dh and I take prescription meds and we can only get 3 months at a time so gonna have to try and figure that one out.

Have tp, shampoo, conditioners, lotions, soaps to last about a year or more. I also have been stocking up on baking soda since that is what I bath with instead of soap. I just use soap myself for my hands.

Have gotten a second pasta machine, cereal maker. Apple peeler and corer, meat grinders, grain mill, a second canner, a wood cookstove, and a new tiller.

We have a treadle machine but it needs a leather belt and some bobbins. So we are gonna order that stuff this week. We have every kind of material possible so quilts and clothes can be handled easily. Thread, needles, elastic, buttons are also in our storage. Along with very old clothes that still fit that we can use for patterns.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, freyadog! You are WAY prepared!!! Impressive!!!

Now I feel SO behind the power curve!!

We're near a water source (lake) and have the ability to purify water. We live near a bunch of trees, so would have heat. We have about 4 months? of dry goods stocked up (maybe more) and about 2 months of canned goods. I have enough wheat (we grind our own) for a year.

I have a sewing machine and plenty of notions, but not a lot of fabric.

We have a generator...but need to get more fuel.

I have my freezer full...but would like to get the deep freeze stocked (my parents have an upright one and we get to use a bit of space).

I am WAY needing to stock up on TP , tissues, H&B, and OTC meds. I've started a list and am going to go to Walmart/Costco/etc. SOON. (Need Dh's help as my foot is still in this walking cast and I can't drive).

We have an EF that would last us about 6-8 weeks. Hoping to bulk that up a bit... I'd like to use part of the stimulus check for more pantry stocking...and then put the rest into the EF.

I know things will get worse before they get better... I'm just wondering HOW MUCH worse?
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2BeFrugal View Post
    I know things will get worse before they get better... I'm just wondering HOW MUCH worse?
    It's kind of scarey just thinking about it, isn't it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These are all great ideas. But, ladies, you need to be doing these things NOW. From what I've been reading/hearing on the news, a recession is certain and a depression is likely. Look at it this way, if it never happens, you'll be in a position to be even more frugal/self-sufficient and you'll be better able to handle the curves life throws at you sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm pretty well ready!

I have 2 full freezers
    plenty for pantry
    H/B for over a year
    Laundry detergent for over a year
    generator - got a great deal this summer
    4 huge water containers
    working sewing machine & supplies
    we are debt free
    always keep $500 - $1,000 in cash at home (for emergencies)
    I cook from scratch
    tons of candles
    I garden, can and preserve
    grill, camp stove
    tons of extra canning jars
    tiller
    grow many herbs that I dry
    tons of books we haven't read (gotta have something to do!!)

I need to get:
    more seeds
    extra catfood
    plenty of matches
    probably more canned goods and staples (sugar, flour, salt, b.soda)
    extra tanks for grill

I think we are in pretty good shape

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to start a cash EF, no large amounts in the bank.

Get seeds, lots of seeds. And pest control for the the garden is a must in my climate.

I need canning supplies and Dh is going to plant an Avocado tree next weekend. They are much higher in nutrients then any other fruit.

Need more fabric and thread.... lots more.

No need to worry about cat litter. IF it gets that bad I will put the cats outside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    I want to start a cash EF, no large amounts in the bank.

Get seeds, lots of seeds. And pest control for the the garden is a must in my climate.

I need canning supplies and Dh is going to plant an Avocado tree next weekend. They are much higher in nutrients then any other fruit.

Need more fabric and thread.... lots more.

No need to worry about cat litter. IF it gets that bad I will put the cats outside.
    Survival guide books

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

what specific things would you do now to start preparing for it?
    I would continue to stock up on non-perishables and I would buy another freezer.

While I wouldn't learn any new skills, I would start vegetable gardening again and we would install a wood furnace just like the one we used to have. It heated both the house & our water. I would also start canning again (ugh) and I'd probably mend our clothes...
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny :
    Change :

2020 Coupon Savings and Perks Challenge:
    $172.82

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clutterbug Jen View Post
    It's kind of scarey just thinking about it, isn't it?
    It is ,but sometimes don't you feel like Joseph or Noah in the bible preparing for something bad to happen and being prepared. But a little different, only a few listening. I know I am OCD it helps with my job. LOL But I almost feel normal here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by freyadog View Post
    We have already started our preparedness.

We have 15 chickens now. And probably get more in about 4-5 months. We also have 2 New Zealand White rabbits and will be getting a doe and buck from a different litter in about 6 weeks. Also a friend of dh's has a buck so that will bring in a new bloodline.

Have gotten plants already in ground and covered with hay. 3 sisters, potatoes, spinach, onions, horseradish, banana peppers. To plant later this month are tomatoes, more squash and 3 sisters, tomatoes, turnips, beets and sunflower seeds for the chickens and rabbits.

Dh when it is not raining has been bringing down deadfall off the ridge and stacking it for cutting up before winter. Nephew also has 15 acres so we are going to get from there and also a friend of ours has trees that he doesnt need so we get get more from there.

Buying from all the sales that we see. We are not gonna stop buying just because we have storage. We have family living in different parts of the east coast/south that would probably come here in an emergency and we need to make sure that we have enough. Especially for my mother who is 76 next month.

My main concern is medicines. Both dh and I take prescription meds and we can only get 3 months at a time so gonna have to try and figure that one out.

Have tp, shampoo, conditioners, lotions, soaps to last about a year or more. I also have been stocking up on baking soda since that is what I bath with instead of soap. I just use soap myself for my hands.

Have gotten a second pasta machine, cereal maker. Apple peeler and corer, meat grinders, grain mill, a second canner, a wood cookstove, and a new tiller.

We have a treadle machine but it needs a leather belt and some bobbins. So we are gonna order that stuff this week. We have every kind of material possible so quilts and clothes can be handled easily. Thread, needles, elastic, buttons are also in our storage. Along with very old clothes that still fit that we can use for patterns.
    Update here:
    both freezers are now full. have started canning from the garden. added 5 guinea chicks now in brooder for watch dogs. have 25 Rhode Island red chicks coming on the 21 of this month(July) for meat birds and of course eggs.

we are going to cull our roos this weekend and can that meat. messy job but that is what we have them for. Umbridge#1 and Umbridge #2 have 15 chicks between them. so our chicken numbers are increasing fast.

Holly(goat) the 2nd milker will be here probably next weekend. Got to meet her today and actually milked her. Mini-Nubians are different in milking than a full size Nubian so girfriend wanted to work with me to make sure that I was able to milk her. She has blue eyes just like The Moz(Moses). With two milkers we will probably get almost a gallon of milk a day so most will go in freezer for soaps and lotions later on. Already have a girl calling me about soap.

tops of garlic are dying back so that means I will have garlic this month to put back. onion tops have already been pushed over so they are just laying in the ground waiting.

not gonna get many sunflower seeds. Miss Arwen got into them and almost cleaned me out.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast