How would you prepare for a financial depression?
It looks like most of the items have been covered already, but here are some of mine:
1. Think about a garden. This is our big weakness. My finding the time (and energy).
2. Stock up on long-term foods. Rice, beans, wheat, etc. Work on cooking from these foods. Start changing over diet.
3. Stock up on medicines and herbs. Prescription meds are the hardest. Herbs can fill in where needed.
4. Think about entertainment. What will you do for fun?
5. Stock up on pet supplies, both foods and medicines.
6. Look into cheap (and local foraging). Dandelions, acorns, etc.
7. Have women's supplies ready. I already use reusable stuff, but I also have an extra set for long term.
8. Stock up on clothes for all seasons at thrift store.
9. Stock up on underwear, socks, working shoes for all members. If kids, think about when they get bigger.
10. Go to the doctor and get whatever is needed done. Also think about innoculations like tetanus and hepatitis. (In case of disaster, these 2 shots could save your life.)
11. Spiritual preparedness. This I'm working on. Probably the hardest in some cases.
12. Defense? Worst case scenario. Again, hard. My husband has a mental illness, and so lethal weapons are not an option in our house.
13. Stock up on house necessities. Learn to make do. Clean with simple stuff like vinegar and baking soda.
14. Think about lighting, heating, cooking, etc with low or no energy. LED lights can save wattage, PV panels can generate electricity. Think about crank appliances. Solar cookers can cook during the hottest months. Research how to heat and cool your home cheaply.
15. Local laws for livestock. Personally, I would love to have chickens and goats. Some cities don't allow this. Check your local laws.
16. Think about the deflation of currency. Also, if there is a bank run, what will you do?