How would you prepare for a financial depression? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    "How would you prepare for a financial depression?"

Ceashels tends the garden. I tend the ammo.
    my household is sort of the same....although we'd both be tending the garden with big ol' rifles strapped to our backs!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jollyquilter View Post
    StacyY would you be so inclined to share wat you are doing from home for income. If not I will understand. have a great day.
    I started a blog a little over a year ago, regarding baking for diabetics. I did not do it for money but a large pharmaceutical company stumbled upon it, and offered to sponsor me to provide baking demonstrations to the public, based on the information on my blog. then I was offered a book contract. I don't think I can provide a link to my blog here, but a previous post of mine has a link.
    Last edited by staceyy; 09-25-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheRootedNomad View Post
    I would:

~ stock up on all non-perishables

~ push to increase the size of the family garden

~ learn how to grow some indoor ediebles

~ look into a wood stove

~ find out if we could have a few chickens
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutterbug Jen View Post
    Since I started this thread, I'm guessing I ought to include my own list, huh? *lol*

1. I'd stockpile non-perishables and things that I use a lot of.

2. I'd learn to use my sewing machine & maybe how to quilt [could always use quilts to barter with.]

3. Would try to grow vegetables inside

4. Would stock up on yarn [have to have something to keep me busy!]

5. I'd take any $ out of savings account and convert into small bills [$1, $5, $10 and $20's.

6. Would start putting into practice ... "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

7. Read up on substituting [vinegar and baking soda for cleaning and that sort of stuff.]

10. May stock up some on essentials and use them to barter with [I know me though and most likely would end up just giving to those in need].

~*Jen*~
    These are all the ideas I was thinking about. I am really stuck on the gasoline situation. We live far from my work and use about $50-60 per week in JUST traveling to and from work. I would have to consider carpooling with colleagues as they will not be shutting down the school (Thank goodness!) My big concern is the gas situation for society... Groceries will SKY ROCKET! We really need to be writing to out elected officials to make changes in our dependence on foreign countries ~ but that's a different thread.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All these are such great ideas. I would have to store more items to make things from scratch.
    We live right in the middle of the gas crunch, and I can see how things can go bad quickly. It all just makes one think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I lost my job, I would probably just help DH. He's a commercial fisherman and I would probably end up mending and making nets.
    The economy is actually benefiting us, DH has made contacts with several mom and pop ethnic markets who want to buy his inexpensive fish to pass on to their customers at a low price. He will now get $1 an lb. for a fish he was previously only getting 25 cents for. and if the market turns around and sells it to the customers for $1.50 to $1.99 an lb. everyone wins. We are supporting a small family business and they are providing people with affordable food.
    We also plan on stocking the freezer with beef and pork from local farms this winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm already doing some of the things mentioned so in addition I think I would invest in a generator. I have lots of Amish friends and neighbors and I would probably learn as much as possible from them. They are the experts on self sufficiency in my book. I live in a farming county and have friends with horses so that would solve my transportation if gas were unavailable. We have a camp stove, toilet,air matress & lights so we'd have to buy an Arctic tent and sleeping bags in case we lost our housing. This is a really nice thread.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm already doing most of what I can, but I could do more of it. Eating out would pretty much cease. Thermostat would be lowered, rooms closed off when not in use, wearing more layers and using blankets and so forth. I started drying veggies like squash and zuccini this summer and could do more of that. I already don't buy much in the way of clothing and nothing in the way of makeup and don't get my hair or nails done, don't do much driving that can be avoided, don't go out and spend a lot on entertainment, have only one phone and no internet at home, and am paying off debt at a pretty rapid rate. However, as someone who lives alone (hence has a one-income household), it feels like I'm flying without a net - I have to have enough income to cover my rent, insurance, and minimal utilities no matter how good I am at stretching my food and clothing dollars. Rents and housing prices are going up here, and I absolutely cannot afford to buy anything. My small house is currently cheaper than most apartments, and I am desperately hoping that the owners do not either sell it or raise the rent radically. I could try to rent out the extra bedroom, but have no idea what success I might have, and know that I would deplore having to live with certain behaviors that are common in my town (an awful lot of people drink alot, are boisterous, fight alot, etc.) I also know that if I rent part of my house to someone else, my utilities are likely to more than double because most people just aren't willing to live like I do. Then again, maybe I could find someone else who is a little strange about conservation like I am.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am trying to be a city homesteader as best I can.

I want to can more foods.
    I want to get a one year stockpile. I made my list and I have arough plan.
    I am learning more simple ways of doing things everyday that benefit our finances, health and the earth.

I am ahead in some ways.

I have about 8 YEARS worth of laundry soap making supplies--I kid you not.

I have one years HBA's. I would add more razors, more body soap, and some dr brommers castille soap to my stockpile.

I need a ton of TP lol.

I would stock up on hearing aide batteries--very important.

I need more canning jars.

I could learn to garden..I could I could...

I NEED A YEARS WORTH OF PET FOODS AND SUPPILES!- very expensive...

I am doing good with my scratch cooking and need to continue learning, finding good recipes, making good healthy, cost effecient choices.

I would invest more time into making my home more pleasant. That way we would be happy to stay as long as the neighborhood stays safe.....it is getting a little rough....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll be the lone dissenting voice in this conversation: I'm not worried. I think an extended period of declining economic activity could create significant discomfort for those who are over-extended, but for those with little or no debt, I truly believe things will be fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This thread is so interesting-------
    This past summer I have been doing alot of canning and freezing, jelly, jams.
    Not sure why some said they would have small change on hand, explain?
    I fill like everything that has gone on the past few weeks is not over.

Here's my list:
    stockpile foods
    have plenty of dog and cat food
    wood for woodstove
    enuf cash
    meds
    drinking water
    batteries/flashlight

EF - $35
    PAM

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband and I had a long conversation about economic hard times last night. It struck both of us that our American "It's all about me" attitude is how we got into this mess in the first place. If things get really tough, none of us is going to be able to do it on our own. We will need each other to pull through.

If the economy was truly going to fall apart in the next six months, the first thing I would do is start building stronger relationships with my neighbors. I'd pull down the fences and plant a community garden. I'd share my skills and resources with others, hoping that they would do the same. The last thing I would do is start stock-piling ammo and looking for trouble.

Paint me as a Pollyanna if you wish, but I stand by my opinion. United we stand, divided we fall.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunflowergirl1 View Post
    Not sure why some said they would have small change on hand, explain?
    If the electricity goes down -- you won't have access to ATM's, credit cards, etc. so if you want to buy a $1.50 loaf of bread , and all you have is a $20 -- guess you just paid $20 for a loaf of bread. KIWM?

If you have small bills and change on hand, you can pay less for most items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Light bulbs--don't forget them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If a true depression hits, I can pretty much bet on having a multigenerational home. My two married daughters are at very high risk, because their husbands are in service jobs that would not be needed in a true crisis. We have a big house, on 13 acres so we could raise a lot of food. I raised a lot in my garden this year & we could do a lot more with the combined family helping. We have loads of wild berries & a source for apples, pears & peaches.Also, I would look into getting a milk goat, if not a cow & raise some chickens, maybe a pig. Right now we don't have a barn, but I think we could get something together if there was such a need. Also we could hunt a deer & have it butchered.
    I know how to can & bake bread & sew. My sister makes cheese all the time & I am anxious to learn myself. I could live a very simple life and be happy. Clothes wouldn't be a big problem for DH & I. We could sew for the grandchildren.( I probably have the patterns from when my kids were small) We could keep ourselves entertained for a good long time here. We have a good supply of books, lots of outside games, basketball, horseshoes, volleyball, corn hole. We could play all kinds of card games.
    I am currently stockpiling just because I always do. I am just about done with my canning so we are stocked up on fruits & veggies. If the girls did have to come home with their families, they could bring their freezers with them & we could work on filling them as well.
    Our biggest problem is we live in an all electric house. We have plenty of wood, but the fireplace is a waste. We would need a wood burning stove & that might be hard to come by if everyone else had the same idea.
    Maybe we should read "The Grapes of Wrath" . If nothing else, it will make us count our blessings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
    One more I just thought of:
    • learn to sprout at home during the winter for a longterm supply of fresh sprouts for ourselves and as a suppliment for the animals (lots of health benefits to sprouts)

This I hope will help keep our grocery bill down to just bying canned veggies for cooking rather than buying freshly imported veggies. No need to spend an arm and a leg on fresh once if I can supplement our diet with sprouts.

For info, if any one is interested, can be found [removed URL]here at SproutPeople.

I had an epiphany last week and realized that sprouts were the way to go. If you look on Sproutpeople, you'll find that most seeds/beans/etc. can be stored for 4-5 years. They can be started quickly in the case of any sort of emergency. I figure it will give people an opportunity to get other seeds planted and growing. I'll have other things stockpiled as well, but my base is going to be sprouts.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast