Favorite pressure cooker recipes/use? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea frugrrl - that way they are already ready to use- no excuses!! Mahalo!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Mahalo Palooka. As soon as I restock my bean supply, I am going to give the PC technique a whirl!!
    Did yours come with a little cookbook? Mine did and it had the cooking times broken down. I think chickpeas takes longer to cook than most other beans.

I was scared to use mine when I first got it. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

From the horror stories I'm not surprised you were afraid to use it at first!! I'm going to check the box to see if there are instructions inside it. The grocery store was almost out of dried beans tonight - and no garbanzo beans at all - shall check around to find some. Garbanzo beans were on sale at the store - 2 cans for $3.00!! I'm waiting to find the dried ones!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From the horror stories I'm not surprised you were afraid to use it at first!! I'm going to check the box to see if there are instructions inside it. The grocery store was almost out of dried beans tonight - and no garbanzo beans at all - shall check around to find some. Garbanzo beans were on sale at the store - 2 cans for $3.00!! I'm waiting to find the dried ones!!
    Wow, that's high! Dried is always best plus they make cute decorations in your kitchen. I have mine in all glass jars on the china cabinet. lol

I had my dh help me the first time around. Funny thing is he can hardly use a microwave, but he helped me through it.

Now when you do buy them you will have to promise me you will try out my chickpea salad recipe. It's pretty much like tuna salad, but just with beans. Yum.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo Palooka - I love garbanzo beans and will defintiely make your salad!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does anyone have experience with an Electric Pressure Cooker? I have one and have made two recipes, which both turned out wonderful, but I am looking for more recipes. Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you have a bulk food store where you are? I buy everything dried there; prices are great!

Frugalyo

Can you go to the library? They have several pressure cooker cookbooks. I would think they would work pretty much the same. How about trying google?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use my pressure cooker frequently to cook a quick dinner. And here's something you may not have thought of....I frequently use leftover meat that's already cooked so it makes the cooking time that much faster! No real recipe to speak of, just add the meat and your favorite veggies, some liquid (doesn't have to be water!) and some seasoning and there you are!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We love East Indian food, so she found a recipe for Butter Chicken in the PC - Turns out just as good as the stuff we get at our favorite restaurant.

Indian Butter Chicken

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 8 minutes under pressure

Pressure level: High

Yield: 6 servings

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Salt and pepper

1-1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast cut into 3/4-inch cubes

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 large onion, minced

1 tablespoon minced or grated gingerroot

1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced

2 teaspoons garam masala spice blend*

1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste

2 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons minced cilantro

3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

1 lime, cut into 6 pieces

1. Generously salt and pepper the chicken. Heat the vegetable oil in a pressure cooker over high heat. Add the onion, gingerroot, and jalapeño. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink on the outside (chicken will still be raw on the inside). Add the tomato paste and chicken broth. Stir well.

2. Cover and bring to high pressure over high heat. Lower the heat to stabilize the pressure. Cook for 8 minutes.

3. Remove from the heat. Let the pressure drop using a quick-release method.

4. Unlock and remove the cover.

5. Over low heat, stir in the heavy cream. Add the cilantro and butter. Stir until the butter melts. Serve with white rice or Yellow Split Pea and Basmati Pilaf.

6. Squeeze juice from the lime wedges over the servings.

<Garam masala spice blend is readily available at most Indian and specialty food stores. You can make your own by combining 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1 bay leaf, crumbled, in a small bowl. Store in an airtight jar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the recipe. Looks great!

I have looked at a few cookbooks, but most are written for stove-top cookers. I will have to experiment with the cooking time. I have a few more recipes I can try in the cookbook that came with the pressure cooker. Not a lot of electric pressure cooker recipes out there on google.

Thanks for the information ladies.

frugalyo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pressure Cookers are awesome!

For the thrifty, home cook, a pressure cooker is an amazing piece of kitchen equipment. My brother, who's been a chef for about 16 years, has some great youtube videos (he started a series called Thrifty Cooking Solutions on the Thrift Culture Now channel) that include pressure cooking recipes and techniques.
    It's so great when you can cook amazing meals in a 1/3 of the time!
    Happy cooking!

Thrifty Sister
    Last edited by Thrifty Sister; 03-25-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: forgot to sign name!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post

I had my dh help me the first time around. Funny thing is he can hardly use a microwave, but he helped me through it.
    You know the way to get a man to cook? Tell him there's danger involved.

I mean, my DH will BBQ (fire!), he pressure cooks (explosion!), but hardly touches the oven.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One of the things I make in mine is Swiss Steak. Marinate cheap steak in Worcheshire/soy/garlic. Brown in bottom of pressure cooker, with a little flour and oil. Put in pressure cooker with a cup or two of liquid. Add a can of tomatoes. I forget how long they cook, but they're good.

We also make Pot Roast, Pork Loin, Pork Ribs, and Corned Beef.

I wonder if I should soak some beans tonight and pressure cook them tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too am afraid to use the pressure cooker, lol. Hubby on the other hand makes fun of me and makes awesome baked beans in ours. We needed a quick soup the other day when some unexpected company was coming and it burnt on the bottom. Any hints for cooking split pea soup? He wasn't following a pressure cooker recipe & I think maybe he just over-cooked it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalyo View Post
    Thanks for the recipe. Looks great!

I have looked at a few cookbooks, but most are written for stove-top cookers. I will have to experiment with the cooking time. I have a few more recipes I can try in the cookbook that came with the pressure cooker. Not a lot of electric pressure cooker recipes out there on google.

Thanks for the information ladies.

frugalyo
    I don't know this for sure, but why would it be any different than cooking on the stove? There is a heating source under the food and the pressure would build up and then cook it for the cook time. If you even found one electric pressure cooker cookbook you could compare, but it would seem to me that it wouldn't be any different.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast