Favorite pressure cooker recipes/use? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use mine for Ribs,Roast,cheap tough meats.They get very tender in the pc.Then i shred them for tacos. I have made pasta dishes with cheese. Beans,chicken.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

-porcupine balls
    -all roasts (can use cheaper meats and they become soooo tender)
    -ribs (full ribs I PC instead of boiling before baking, spare ribs I all PC)
    -I’ve fast tracked spag sauce in it too- throw all ingredients (ground beef and all) in the pot and away you go…slow simmered tasting spag sauce in 30 min.
    -beef or chicken stews (again slow cooked flavour in a blink of an eye)
    -mashed potatoes are a breeze

Being a single working mom I’m always looking for frugal homemade but quick to get to the table meals (doesn’t have to be a simple recipe but quick cooking IYKWIM). Honestly my PC is just as valuable to me as my CP!!!!!

PS
    I’ve never actually used my Presto PC as a canner…I’ve never canned!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys2005 View Post
    -porcupine balls
    -all roasts (can use cheaper meats and they become soooo tender)
    -ribs (full ribs I PC instead of boiling before baking, spare ribs I all PC)
    -I’ve fast tracked spag sauce in it too- throw all ingredients (ground beef and all) in the pot and away you go…slow simmered tasting spag sauce in 30 min.
    -beef or chicken stews (again slow cooked flavour in a blink of an eye)
    -mashed potatoes are a breeze

Being a single working mom I’m always looking for frugal homemade but quick to get to the table meals (doesn’t have to be a simple recipe but quick cooking IYKWIM). Honestly my PC is just as valuable to me as my CP!!!!!

PS
    I’ve never actually used my Presto PC as a canner…I’ve never canned!
    I like your idea of using the pressure cooker for the ribs instead of boiling them! I will definitely try it.

And I'm glad to see this thread get bumped up, as I've been thinking the past couple days that I wanted to start using the pressure cooker more and there are some really good ideas here!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beef tips with onions & gravy;
    Red beans;
    Salad pears to freeze in light syrup.

Will have to try the ribs next time, haven't done that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for all the great ideas!!

What are porcupine balls Rosie?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think she means porcupine meatballs. They are meatballs made with rice and when cooked the rice sticks out looking like porcupine quills (obviously not as long)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Need to bump this up too - Okay - must admit that DH has had his pressure cooker for one year and has yet to use it - so I will - I'm choosing one of these great recipes and going for it next weekend!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Curious as to whether any of our PC newbs tried any recipes??? If yes, which one did you try and what were the results???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make pot roast in my little 4 qt.
    how:
    a medium sized chuck roast, beef broth to the first fill line, pressure 35 mins @10#, quick cool (sit in sink and run cold water over lid until it cools and drops pressure) then I add my baby carrots, cubed potatoes, cubed onions and a bit of salt- put back on fire bring back up to pressure and cook another 5 minutes until the carrots are done. note: if the roast is too large -it will obviously shrink during cooking I remove it and cook the veggies in the broth then add them to the platter ... it's so tender that it will melt in your mouth, I buy tougher cuts also it's cheaper we do roast may 4 times a yr mainly in winter mths.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Stew

I love my pressure cooker. I only do my beans in it but also do stuffed peppers, porcupine meatballs and stew (Both beef and venison.)
    Stew s supper easy. Basically brown the meat a bit in a little oil in bottom of cooker. Add cut up potatoes, carrots and onions. I put a can of drained peas in mine. Add water, a couple of beef bullion cubes, a bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook for 25 minutes after weight starts rocking. After pressue is released remove lid and bring back to a boil. Add a slurry of a couple tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water into boiling stew and stir to thicken.
    I usually make drop dumplings on the top by mixing flour and water into a thick batter and dropping by spoonfuls into the stew. Cover leaving weight off and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and cook another 5.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Traditional North African Couscous (I also put Pumpkin or squash in mine)

8 lamb chops or 8 skinless chicken pieces , on bone but skin & fat free if possible
    1 large onion
    3 garlic cloves
    2 medium carrots
    2 medium courgettes (zucchini)
    2 large potatoes
    ¼ swede or ¼ turnip
    1 parsnip
    2 -3 stalks celery (or khorchef)
    1 cup chickpeas , drained
    2 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix
    salt & pepper
    1 pinch dried mint
    ½ tablespoon sunflower oil or ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 cup of tinned plum tomato , liquidised
    1 ½ liters water
    1 large green chili pepper (the Algerian ones) (optional)
    500 g medium couscous
    1 tablespoon ghee (smen)
    1 ½ tablespoons margarine
    1 glass water
    olive oil
    Directions:

Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic & place it in a large heavy bottomed pan with the meat or chicken, ras el hanout & a little olive oil. Fry gently to seal the meat/chicken. I use my pressure cooker pr large cast iron casserole for this.
    Chop the carrot, parsnip and courgette into 6ths. Cut the potato into 1/4's and roughly chop the swede. Chop khourchef or celery into roughly same size as carrot. (Peel the carrots, potato, parsnip and swede).
    Add the vegetables to the meat along with 1L of water and turn up heat so they begin simmering. If using the chilli add it now, along with salt and pepper. If cooking in a regular pan then cook for 40 minutes like this. If using the pressure cooker as I do then 20 minutes will be enough.
    Add the tomatoes, chick peas and dried mint and 1/2L more water or enough to create a 'stew' consistency.
    Return to heat and cook in pan for further 30 minutes and if using pressure cooker then cook on med to high for a further 25 minutes.
    Take a 500g pack of medium couscous and pour into a gas'a if you have one. If not find the biggest bowl you have. Pick out any 'bits' and sprinkle water - about 50mls and a tsp of salt over the couscous and using your hand rub 1/2 tsp of oil through the couscous to stop it sticking. Fill a couscousier or steamer half full with the couscous (as it swells).
    When you 1st notice steam coming from the couscous, count 10 minutes. After that remove from the steamer, place in gas'a and use your hands to 'open' the couscous (rub it together between hands to remove clumps). This is very hot and you need to keep wetting you hand with cold water and sprinkling a little on the couscous.
    Return to steamer when thoroughly opened. Repeat process of steaming and opening twice more.
    Finally remove from steamer and place back in gas'a. Open for final time and rub a tbsp of ghee or smen into the couscous along with 2tsp of butter or margarine. Add salt to taste.
    Serve the couscous in the gas'a with sauce on top as traditional style or in tagine etc. Usually we place the meat/chicken in place - 1 for each guest and decorate the couscous with the veg before ladling some of the sauce over the top.
    If you used the chilli, put it on a plate and let people help themselves to it!

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/tradition...#ixzz1ltGekUhq

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FYI... I have a electric PC. Anything that can be cooked in the stove top PC can be done in Electric one. I have used mine for the last 6 years without a problem. I cook beans, roast,ribs,pork,cornbeef in mine and its great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

shp1055; how old was the pressure cooker that exploded? Reason I'm asking I always overfill mine and have been using it for almost 37 years and that has NEVER happened to me.
    MM;
    I use mine for everything; precook ribs to put on the grill to make them exceptionally tender; potatoes; broccoli; carrots; cabbage rolls; beef stew; roasts and vegetables; recently made a pork tenderloin roast that melted in your mouth. Pork chops and scalloped potatoes; potatoes and italian/or polish sausage; sometimes with green beans.
    My pressure or pressure cookers are probably on my stove 5 nights a week. I love how tender it makes meat and its healthier because it's not fried. If you would like any specific recipes; just ask. I have bought several pressure cookers and the only one I got a cookbook with was my first one. To me that is a great disappointment. My first one is a Presto and I recently went online and bought a hardcover Presto pressure cooker cookbook. I'm not sure what you like; but I don't like recipes that I have to go out and buy a bunch of new ingredients.
    Pam
    sorry so long!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love roast beef or pork in my PC ...makes great pulled pork...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123